Unplugged

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot my i-phone in the car this morning and wasn’t able to retrieve it until after lunch. Never realized how much I would enjoy not having it. To the displeasure of my wife, I may have to loose it more often. Any of you gone back to living life just like the 90’s without cellular and maybe just a desktop computer?

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Switch back to a flip phone for a couple years….it’s a good compromise between cold turkey……I did and my kids thought I was insane… it was actually peaceful and could still answer the phone…. Texting was tough.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was still using a flip phone until 2021. And only used the Iphone because my wife gave it to me for Christmas. Have no idea why she thought that was a good idea or that I would like/want it. All my girls kind of cringed when I opened it because they "know" me. I still use my desktop computer most every day, if I'm home. Nothing like a large screen. I rarely use the Iphone and even leave it home intentionally a LOT. It's worthless for hunting because it has no reception. My flip phone always had 3-4 bars in the exact same camp. I might just switch back to the flip phone for hunting season......just to have the ability to text or call if need be.

5:30, every Saturday morning, after a long aggravating week, I’ll intentionally leave it plugged in on my nightstand. With the ringer cut off. I won’t pick it back up until Monday morning around 5:40.

I give myself two days a week to escape it. My wife doesn’t like it when we are t together. But, she’s got hers if someone really needs us.

I don’t always do this but, when I do it’s complete bliss.

B

Brando'

I resisted the smartphone until 2016 when I got one from work. I wish I never would have switched. In 2020 I went back to a flip and it was nice, but ultimately switched back because no one wanted to call me. Texting is a huge pain. Still kicking around the idea of switching back.

jayhawk

WKR
I always put it on “do not disturb” and leave it in the kitchen at night. No phones in bed is my rule

From '08-'21 I never had reliable signal, or was not allowed to have it on where I worked at. I would just silent the thing and not look at it unless I had to or till I was off work. I had to carry it due to work policy. Now the thing is a constant distraction and time suck. I get way less done having to answer emails, looking at calls from solicitors and political BS. I took all social media off of it also. I also have to have it on me since that is how we get paged out for fire calls now.

It is a shame we have to plan to have solitude these days.

I don’t carry it with me so it can go a day easy sitting on the nightstand, kitchen table, etc. I also don’t take it with me when i am out running errands, what for?

People complain that i “never pick up my phone” or “respond to my texts” but i always call back when i get the message. I mean when i was in high school in the 90s and even in my 20s i didn’t have a cell phone so you’d have to call my home phone and leave a message if i wasn’t there. It’s no different. I don’t understand why people feel you need to be immediately available to them 24/7?

Phones and social media have really messed up the fabric of society. Can’t believe people give phones to 11 yo kids