Unlimited PTO?!?

TaperPin

WKR
My wife has one of these jobs - the amount of time off almost doesn’t matter because the expectations of the organization are so high a slacker would shrivel up and get spit out quickly. If they limited days off to a normal amount nobody in the company would use them all and 60 hr weeks is not a policy, it’s what’s required to make things work.

Its no different than owning a business that only makes the cash register bell ring when you’re there, except if you take too much time off the business goes out of business quicker.

I‘ve worked with clients that offer this kind of benefit to employees and they have flat out said it’s well known in the company you will get cut quickly if you take any sizable chunks of time off. PTO is managed by firing.

A friend has a successful family business and they have traditionally not paid bonuses to anyone taking time off - any time off - and everyone knows it. Don’t like it - work somewhere else.

It's so weird to me that there are so many people seemingly annoyed that some people get paid vacation. Like you're some kind of loser if you consider the benefits when deciding whether or not to accept a job.
It's kinda like the guy at work that brags about not taking a single sick day in 10 years...like, that's cool dude. I took 5 last year to duck hunt a few cold fronts and ski a couple powder days.

jmez

WKR
At the tech company I work for, you get unlimited PTO once you reach "director" level. Up until then you accrue PTO based on tenure and level. My longest serving and best employee takes around 5 weeks every year of scheduled PTO, and I never ding him or make him report the onesy twosy days. You treat your people right, give them the time they deserve when there's adequate coverage, and work it out when there isn't. Don't micromanage them and don't harass them about picking kids up, getting to appointments, logging an hour here or there, etc... Its too hard to hire good people, and keeping the high performers around is crucial to my own job satisfaction and performance. As a result, I'm willing to make personal sacrifices at times to make sure they can take the time they need.
Wait a minute. Are you saying a common sense logical approach?? What a novel concept.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Fowl Play

WKR
The concept of this blows my mind. Imagine how much work you would get done if you were actually working? If people can take two months off, maybe they need more to do.
I personally think it’s great. As long as employees manage their time well. In my company it is very common to work 70-80 hours a week. I played that game for too long it wears on you. You can do it effectively for a short sprint, but when theirs no light at the end of the tunnel… people keep pulling those hours but maybe are only effective for 40-50 of them. The rest are long lunches, talks around the coffee machine, etc.

I have 4 weeks of PTO plus the federal holidays. I work 35-40hrs a week and am one of the highest performers on the team. Part of it is seniority and being good at what I do. Part of it is I don’t bullshit around when at work, work through lunch at my desk, and go home.

I probably take another 1-2 weeks off per year as “comp” days. I get all my work done on time and under budget. No one cares. And I get bonuses throughout the year for good performance. It’s all about the employee.

IdahoBeav

WKR
It really is amazing how much folks get done when they get "in the zone". Then they drag their feet the rest of the time.
I have heard and read from notable sources that the average employee in good standing is estimated to be 100% productive only 2-4 hours per day.

EdP

WKR
Everybody is talking about taking vacations and forgetting that PTO includes sick time, time you have to take for your kids, etc.

WCB

WKR
I accrue 4 weeks a year can carry over two and buy a week. So 6 weeks PTO plus I can use a bought week. We also get 88hours of Holiday time we can use as we please to cover holidays or just use them like PTO.

If I also want to work 4 10s I can take a day off without using any time off. I can get a bunch of 4 day weekends in by working back to back 4 10s taking Friday then Monday off. Works pretty good for me as that can easily add up to a couple more weeks during the year.

No way I'm taking less time with unlimited PTO. It amazes me how many people get paid out for WEEKS of PTO every year. Or guys that brag that they have 2+ months of PTO they can accrue every year but don't use it.
Everybody is talking about taking vacations and forgetting that PTO includes sick time, time you have to take for your kids, etc.
At least in my situation. I can work from wherever if needed and If I have to leave for a day to pick up or take care of a sick kid. I get the "just clock 8 for today and let me know about tomorrow".

IdahoBeav

WKR
Depends on the company. I used to work for a firm that gave 5 sick days per year completely separate of PTO. This time did not roll over into the next year like PTO, but each Jan 1, the available sick time time was set to 5 days. Also, since Covid, in my experience, employers are much more accommodating to sick time, even if it involves benefits beyond the written company policy.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Yep. We got asked to pave on a sunday and the crew said no. An wise old man told the owner of the company that exact phrase we work so we can live we dont live to work. We didnt pave.
Haha, as a civil engineer, I actually get nervous when contractors want to pave this late in the year unless there is an abnormal streak of warm dry weather. I would much rather wait until the spring when the asphalt plants open back up.

Doepee

FNG
We are a smaller company (33 employees) and have always had this policy. Our work also includes frequent travel. As management we do not want to track every day or half day an employee may take off. If they are on the road for a few weeks we understand they may need to take time during their non travel week to take care of personal things and we don't want to ding PTO for that. Or if they fly home 1am on a Thursday they may need to take Friday off, again we don't want to track that. As many have stated as long as the work is getting done and they let us know when they will or will not be in the office we don't care. We really only set recommended guidelines based on tenure for full weeks off. And as others have mentioned we typically have to push people to take more time more so than restrict someone who is trying to take advantage of the company.

Our company is public and has around 1500 employees. They legitimately encourage people to take their PTO to improve overall wellbeing. They've even created an app within our digital health platform where folks are incented with travel dollars for completing health and wellbeing activities. The majority of the workforce works remotely with those in sales and account management traveling 25-30%.

As a manager, I 100% agree with other folks on here that have said that as long as folks are getting their $hit done, I don't meddle or worry about their time off. Honestly, unless they're taking more than 2 days and there are support or coverage concerns, I don't want to mess with them logging the time. Life happens and supporting good folks is my top priority as I expect the same from my boss.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have unlimited PTO and am fully remote - but I am taking a 2 or 3 year assigned role that only has 25 days PTO and will be in office.

The company I work for depending on country/role assignment varies between unlimited or a more standard set PTO.

They both have their benefits and downsides, and knowing how you work vs. how to best utilize your benefits is an important part of working a corporate job for a long term career.

But... If I had my druthers unlimited PTO is the way to go, so you don't have to worry about taking an extra day or two after vacation to catch your breath before rolling back into the work week.

MattB

WKR
VMware is hiring and they offer the benefit too
A good friend works at VMware and is preparing to get laid off post-Broadcom merger, which is supposed to close at the end of this month. Presuming that is where you are considering jumping to, make sure you fit into the long-term vision before making a move. Apparently Broadcom is cheap as hell and makes decisions that are penny-wise and pound-foolish when running its businesses.

MNGrouser

FNG
I transitioned to a salaried position about 13 years ago. As long as the work of the office gets done, I'm not required to be here. But I guarantee I am here more than the hourly folks. I get night and weekend calls more than the hourly folks. For conscientious employees who care about the work they do and the work product they produce, unlimited PTO is a racket.

I have colleagues who take time off not because they want to or have any great need. They are "maxed out" so if the don't use it they lose it.

tdhanses

WKR
The concept of this blows my mind. Imagine how much work you would get done if you were actually working? If people can take two months off, maybe they need more to do.
Problem is you can’t find anyone that is as productive even if they worked a full year and had zero PTO, it’s hard to find quality individuals anymore. So I’m all for giving productive employees time off, it pays off in the long run for a company vs the grind then to dust attitude of the past.

Last edited: