Unlimited PTO?!?

gabenzeke

WKR
I was just offered a position at a company with unlimited PTO. Does anyone have any experience working at a company with this benefit? Whats the catch? Ive seen that this sort of benefit is common for companies in my industry but this would be my first time having this benefit afforded to me.

thoughts?
I know several people in companies with this policy. Most of them ended up taking less time off. One company makes you sort of justify your requests by proving your work is all on track or ahead of schedule....poor performance leads to denied requests. So I guess I'd just want to know more about who approves and how it all works before I give up all the PTO I get at my current job.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Sevens

WKR
Unlimited PTO is a way to allow the company to no longer list accrued PTO as a liability, therefore making the company look better financially.

Edited for clarification: this is because they don't have to pay out your saved up PTO when you leave the company.
Love this accounting answer to the question.

My company just transitioned to this. The basic gist of it in my case is that I need to log 233 days of work per contract year(assumed 8 hour work day) aka 1861 hours. IF i wanted to take 2 months off work and my customers knew of/didn't have an issue with my leave of absence, I could take 2 months off work BUT i would need to still meet my contractual obligations which would be difficult but it would be allowed

The shitty employees get weeded out quickly with this sort of leave policy

Poser

WKR
So wait, people get paid for doing nothing? Men take money for not showing up for work?

Damn right. If you accept a job that pays a salary of say $80,000 grand a year, it will (May) include a benefits package of PTO (whether accruing or unlimited), x amount of sick days, possibly a few personal days as well as the established holidays.

The federal government recognizes 10 holidays. I want to say my employers includes 7 of these. I have a buddy who works for a company that doesn’t work on any holiday, as in if there is an excuse to close the office, they do it.

I get 48 hours of sick time, for example. If I’m sick, I just work from home. That 48 hours of sick time gets used for powder days during ski season.

Unlimited PTO is a way to allow the company to no longer list accrued PTO as a liability, therefore making the company look better financially.

Edited for clarification: this is because they don't have to pay out your saved up PTO when you leave the company.
Yup. PTO is a liability that sits on the balance sheet. CFO's hate having this sitting around, as at any point earnings could be vaporized by employees cashing in.

At the tech company I work for, you get unlimited PTO once you reach "director" level. Up until then you accrue PTO based on tenure and level. My longest serving and best employee takes around 5 weeks every year of scheduled PTO, and I never ding him or make him report the onesy twosy days. You treat your people right, give them the time they deserve when there's adequate coverage, and work it out when there isn't. Don't micromanage them and don't harass them about picking kids up, getting to appointments, logging an hour here or there, etc... Its too hard to hire good people, and keeping the high performers around is crucial to my own job satisfaction and performance. As a result, I'm willing to make personal sacrifices at times to make sure they can take the time they need.

Yoder

WKR
The concept of this blows my mind. Imagine how much work you would get done if you were actually working? If people can take two months off, maybe they need more to do.

Rich M

WKR
The concept of this blows my mind. Imagine how much work you would get done if you were actually working? If people can take two months off, maybe they need more to do.
It really is amazing how much folks get done when they get "in the zone". Then they drag their feet the rest of the time.

big44a4

WKR
It really is amazing how much folks get done when they get "in the zone". Then they drag their feet the rest of the time.

I’ve said this many times. Our 40-60hr work week could be condensed quite a bit if others you in the system didn’t drag their feet. Always waiting on someone else to get their shit done so you can get your part done. I was at a company with unlimited PTO but I like the structure of where I am now and the pay is better. The other place used that as leverage so only way to make it worth your time was if you took advantage of all the “perks.” Vacation time, hunting fishing, vacation homes the owners would let you stay at, getting stuff built on your property etc…

gabenzeke

WKR
It's so weird to me that there are so many people seemingly annoyed that some people get paid vacation. Like you're some kind of loser if you consider the benefits when deciding whether or not to accept a job.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk