United health insurance

KsRancher

WKR
Anyone have it? And if so, how do you like it. I am getting REALLY tired of BCBS charging insane rates and not covering much. United is quoting a little under half the cost. Deductible is a little higher. But they seem to cover a lot more of the smaller things.

intunegp

WKR
I'm satisfied, though I don't use them much at this stage in life. Good network, 24/7 virtual visits, and if you wear a smart watch that can track your steps/sleep/etc. you can let the app access it and earn rewards redeemable towards your deductible. I've earned $188 towards my deductible for walking and sleeping.

rayporter

WKR
the reason i dont like it is because for the last 20 years i had something much cheaper and better. the company switched to united so i did not get a lot of say in the matter.

I've had United thru my work for quite a while. High deductible, HSA account. So far, seems like it has done well for me, but we do not use our coverage near as much as older people. I had minor knee surgery last year and the insurance side went smooth as I could expect.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
$1953 with a $3000 deductible for BCBS and $963 for United with a $5000.

180ls1

WKR
Health Ins broker here.

They are fine. BCBS has been the "gold standard" for a long time but has been slipping recently. I would not hesitate to switch to UHC.

This is assuming you are of normal health. If you have something serious (cancer or similar) the provider network of BCBS has is 2nd to none.

Last edited:
Have you looked into the organizations like Christian healthcare ministries?
May not be for everyone but it can be a great option for some people (including myself - switched from BCBS).

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I get those emails from United too and have been curious about their service. No experience, just a word of caution from our insurance mess.

I would definitely check with your local doctors to make sure you’re in network. We switched our company from bcbs to allied 2 years ago and it has been a PITA. Saved our company like 40k in premiums but was almost useless in our small town. Our family doctor just flat out refused service to us and we had to switch offices to get our kids appointments.

We did find a new agent that got everything straightened out. I don’t think I would buy direct, insurance is so f’d up at this point you really need an agent to be able to ask questions and mediate between you and the insurance company.

Reactions: 307

Weldor

WKR
Had them for a long time. Their good, except some of their copays can be high. $2400 for a colonoscopy. Just normal by todays standards. Problem down here is their Doctors are always leaving for greener pastures. Get used to one and they are gone.

BBob

WKR
My primary (who's been fantastic for 30yrs) won't take it nor will he take any HMO plan so I've had to stay with BCBS and a PPO plan to stay with him. If you have any good docs you don't want to give up you should ask if they'll take a provider or a plan you are thinking of switching to.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Wife and I switched to United Health when I retired and went on Medicare. Before them, we had Blue Cross Blue Shield as the group plan at the university where I worked. Copays for the wife's meds are rather high when we are in the "donut hole" every year, but so far, no complaints.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
Have you looked into the organizations like Christian healthcare ministries?
May not be for everyone but it can be a great option for some people (including myself - switched from BCBS).
Thanks. But probably not for me

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
I get those emails from United too and have been curious about their service. No experience, just a word of caution from our insurance mess.

I would definitely check with your local doctors to make sure you’re in network. We switched our company from bcbs to allied 2 years ago and it has been a PITA. Saved our company like 40k in premiums but was almost useless in our small town. Our family doctor just flat out refused service to us and we had to switch offices to get our kids appointments.

We did find a new agent that got everything straightened out. I don’t think I would buy direct, insurance is so f’d up at this point you really need an agent to be able to ask questions and mediate between you and the insurance company.
👍 Going thru Taku insurance agency.

As a doctor, I absolutely loathe United. Lots of lawsuits across the country for them not paying up on their end of the contract. They use AI to auto deny a certain percentage of claims (class action suit going on right now).

United is worst at denying claims (30%+)

Not to mention the giant data breach that affected healthcare delivery, exposed millions of patients’ data, and delayed dispensing drug prescriptions: https://www.hipaajournal.com/healthcare-providers-sue-unitedhealth-group/

Go look up Dr Glaucomflecken United healthcare on YouTube to see how docs feel about United. Just because you pay less for premiums doesn’t mean you’ll get the access you want, although that will depend a little on where you live too. They have monopolized some areas IMO.

Just my two cents.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
Really considering just going without insurance for myself. My employer pays my insurance and takes the insurance for my 3 kids out of my check ($978). My wifes employer pays her insurance. About to pull the plug and go self employed. To put my 3 kids on wifes insurance will cost $940. To put me and the 3 kids on her insurance will cost $1953. No way in hell am I paying that. Thinking about putting the 3 kids on wifes and just going without for myself

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
We used to have united, and it was great. Now we have BCBS and it's ok for me. Thank goodness I have an Indian card as everything for me and my sons are free healthcare wise.

tdhanses

WKR
Really considering just going without insurance for myself. My employer pays my insurance and takes the insurance for my 3 kids out of my check ($978). My wifes employer pays her insurance. About to pull the plug and go self employed. To put my 3 kids on wifes insurance will cost $940. To put me and the 3 kids on her insurance will cost $1953. No way in hell am I paying that. Thinking about putting the 3 kids on wifes and just going without for myself
One small accident and you’ll wish you were on hers, doesn’t take much to rack up $1000.