United health insurance

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I had Blue Cross for years. My employer switched us to United Health this year. My wife works for an optical office doing the billing and doesn't like them at all - so I was worried about how it was going to go but I'll have to say - so far it's been fine. I'm in pretty good health though. So far I've just had a physical and my every 5 year colonoscopy (oh happy day).

Really considering just going without insurance for myself. My employer pays my insurance and takes the insurance for my 3 kids out of my check ($978). My wifes employer pays her insurance. About to pull the plug and go self employed. To put my 3 kids on wifes insurance will cost $940. To put me and the 3 kids on her insurance will cost $1953. No way in hell am I paying that. Thinking about putting the 3 kids on wifes and just going without for myself
Obviously, you know what risk level you are willing to accept. If this is where you want to go, look into a stop-loss policy. Deductible may be like 15K for a much lower monthly premium, but will at least mitigate your downside risk were something serious to happen.

Weldor

WKR
Find a healthcare broker, they have alot of info on what's out there.

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve dealt with BCBS for years, both as a provider and a patient. They get worse every year. They charge higher premiums, raise deductibles/copays/coinsurance, and cover less for patients annually of late. They then turn around and reduce reimbursement rates for providers. I am sure some of this is happening with other insurances as well, but blue cross has been pretty bad. If I had the choice I would probably go with any other insurance company. I’m now looking at health shares instead of insurance for personal use

I have UHC through work. High deductible with HSA. It's been fine overall and with our 3 children young children, we've basically hit the deductible each year. My wife is an insurance broker and overall thinks it's fine. They have been having issues with BCBS as well.

We had 6 months of an issue though with one of the local health systems (Prisma) and UHC duking it out over rates, etc. Had to switch to Lexington Health system.

UHC and Prisma got their shit together last month thankfully, as Prisma has the only local Children's Hospital.

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
Have had united through employer for the past 4 years. What a train wreck! Glad were switching to Moda this year...no way can it be worse. Don't get me wrong...it's great insurance as long as you never have to use it!
Samaritan group (hospital etc) out of Corvallis finally had enough and dropped them. I understand why!

WKR
As a provider, UHC does not offer terms I'm willing to accept, so I'm out of network. We are in network with BCBS and it works pretty well, so far.

As a patient, I'm thankful that my wife's employer is so generous with their benefits.

Its a mess.

I'm hoping a single payer system is on its way.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
As a provider, UHC does not offer terms I'm willing to accept, so I'm out of network. We are in network with BCBS and it works pretty well, so far.

As a patient, I'm thankful that my wife's employer is so generous with their benefits.

Its a mess.

I'm hoping a single payer system is on its way.
My current BCBS plan thru my employer in a "no out of network".

Dislike. hospital systems in my area are constantly going out of network with them so it makes getting a doc and sticking to them for my wife or kids really difficult.

She’s finally on blue cross and it’s a lot better. We are lucky to have employer sponsored healthcare so the prices are ok on both

As a doctor, I absolutely loathe United. Lots of lawsuits across the country for them not paying up on their end of the contract. They use AI to auto deny a certain percentage of claims (class action suit going on right now).

United is worst at denying claims (30%+)

Not to mention the giant data breach that affected healthcare delivery, exposed millions of patients’ data, and delayed dispensing drug prescriptions: https://www.hipaajournal.com/healthcare-providers-sue-unitedhealth-group/

Go look up Dr Glaucomflecken United healthcare on YouTube to see how docs feel about United. Just because you pay less for premiums doesn’t mean you’ll get the access you want, although that will depend a little on where you live too. They have monopolized some areas IMO.

Just my two cents.
You missed one ;)

United is default deny a lot of the time. And yes, they have monopolized some areas, and were sued (but won, sadly) by the federal government over that issue (Change Healthcare acquisition).

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
United is one of the worst at denying claims. My wife had to fight with them for months after our second child was born. She would have to re-submit each bill multiple times, because they kept denying them. And everyone we talked to at the hospital said United is one of the worst to deal with.

WhiteTree

FNG
Just adding my voice to the chorus here - I briefly had to deal with United in a previous role and it was not a good experience. I was surprised it was legal to provide so little coverage for basic care.

I’m self employed and have a UH PPO plan, pay a ridiculous amount for one of their top tier options. I had them about 5 years through an employer and they were great. Man have things changed, they are TERRIBLE.
Our yearly physicals and blood work were not covered because it takes 6 months before they are covered (out of a 12 month plan). My wife is also pregnant, was not so when we got the plan, so not pre existing, and zero of the pre pregnancy care is covered. I don’t understand how it’s even legal. Also had the experience of them automatically denying everything and having to fight for every “benefit” you are supposed to get.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
I’m self employed and have a UH PPO plan, pay a ridiculous amount for one of their top tier options. I had them about 5 years through an employer and they were great. Man have things changed, they are TERRIBLE.
Our yearly physicals and blood work were not covered because it takes 6 months before they are covered (out of a 12 month plan). My wife is also pregnant, was not so when we got the plan, so not pre existing, and zero of the pre pregnancy care is covered. I don’t understand how it’s even legal. Also had the experience of them automatically denying everything and having to fight for every “benefit” you are supposed to get.
What does it cost if you don't mind me asking. The UH PPO plan we just got quoted was $963 for me and 3 kids. We was told a 30day waiting period on a few things. But no waiting period past that.

What does it cost if you don't mind me asking. The UH PPO plan we just got quoted was $963 for me and 3 kids. We was told a 30day waiting period on a few things. But no waiting period past that.
It’s my wife, son, and me (3) all healthy with no issues, $875 a month

This isn’t medical, but I work on the dental side of things and I’d take United over BCBS any day. They are much easier to work with, but we don’t deal with the larger more serious claims that you get on the medical side.

gabenzeke

WKR
I have UHC, it's okay. I have t1 diabetes and it's not so great for that sometimes. But works well for the rest of the family.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk