Unit Selection

Just looking for some opinions about places to apply. (I guess this topic could actually be discussed about any animal, Sheep just happen to be on the brain.)

My question I am curious about is: Do you apply for a hunt unit based off of higher draw odds with lower success rates, or would you rather put in for a unit with low draw odds and high success rates?

I ask because right now as I look at all options I am really torn between the two, and I have researched enough that I kind of feel like I just keep running in circles rather than just picking a unit. So it made me curious what other people do. How they decide on which unit to apply for when applying for hunts.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the experience you want. Some of those units in the Frank Church for instance are easier to draw, but can be incredibly difficult hunts, on par in some instances with the Unlimited units in Montana. I would say if you want a good ram and don't want to spend a ton of time out, apply for higher success, lower draw odd units. If you want to just hunt sheep, apply in better draw odd units and be prepared to see very few animals and potentially having to settle for a small ram if you find one at all.

cbeard64

WKR
I want good odds for success (not necessarily the biggest ram). That said, I don’t limit myself to the premier units. I generally search out units that have better draw odds if the success rates are still decent.

cbarg14

FNG
Depends on the experience you want. Some of those units in the Frank Church for instance are easier to draw, but can be incredibly difficult hunts, on par in some instances with the Unlimited units in Montana. I would say if you want a good ram and don't want to spend a ton of time out, apply for higher success, lower draw odd units. If you want to just hunt sheep, apply in better draw odd units and be prepared to see very few animals and potentially having to settle for a small ram if you find one at all.
I think this sums it up perfectly.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk