Ultrasonic cleaners

Hello all,

I am considering getting an ultrasonic cleaner for brass cleaning. I won't be doing any huge batches of reloading, and it could be used for cleaning other things. I am thinking something like a 3L-6L would be reasonable. I would be willing to spend up to $300 or so, but I kind of get the impression there are cheap ones, and very expensive ones.

Anyone here using one that they would recommend?

Thanks,
-pg

Hello all,

I am considering getting an ultrasonic cleaner for brass cleaning. I won't be doing any huge batches of reloading, and it could be used for cleaning other things. I am thinking something like a 3L-6L would be reasonable. I would be willing to spend up to $300 or so, but I kind of get the impression there are cheap ones, and very expensive ones.

Anyone here using one that they would recommend?

Thanks,
-pg

I recently bought the 6L one from Harbor freight and it’s a beast. It replaced my old Lyman one that finally bit the dust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SDHNTR

WKR
I had one and got rid of it. It cleaned the brass too well. Gave me some issues with cold weld and erratic ES. Went bad to dry media tumbling. Or not cleaning.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i just bought one for cleaning a rimfire suppressor. after spending some quality time researching i concluded there's three levels. the bottom rung, rebranded jewelry units you get at cabelas and sportsmans with hornady and lyman names on em. more expensive and larger units with chinese names on them from amazon. or real ultrasonic cleaners from the US and Germany that cost $1300. i went for a $200 10L from amazon. arrives next week.

i better shoot my suppressor a lot so i can try to get $200 worth of cleaning before the unit shits the bed

Axlrod

WKR
Spending $300 to have brass that functions less effectively seems counter productive. The carbon left in the neck after firing promotes much more consistent ammo. Bright shiny brass looks nice if that is all you are after. Sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something.

Vern400

WKR
I have a vibratory bath cleaner. I use it when I pick up range brass that's all nasty and tarnished and has been on the ground for a year. Walnut media with a few drops of shining compound does all I need 99% of the time. I haven't used my vibratory cleaner in two or three years. It works but it doesn't really stand out as a tool that I have to have.

Spending $300 to have brass that functions less effectively seems counter productive. The carbon left in the neck after firing promotes much more consistent ammo. Bright shiny brass looks nice if that is all you are after. Sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something.

There’s ways around that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TaperPin

WKR
If you also like to do things like work on cars, just be sure and get one large enough to fit the biggest part - like a carburetor. The extra space is worth it - the more you use it the more uses you’ll find.

SippyCup

FNG
I started with a harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner. Didn’t clean the brass the way I was hoping for. Additives are expensive for it too. And the unit I have I need to reset the timer every 8 minutes. I do my brass cleaning in my garage so going in and out all the time got old pretty quick.
For me it’s easier to dry tumble brass. I don’t have to heat up the media, and can plug it in and forget about it for an hour or so.

I started with a harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner. Didn’t clean the brass the way I was hoping for. Additives are expensive for it too. And the unit I have I need to reset the timer every 8 minutes. I do my brass cleaning in my garage so going in and out all the time got old pretty quick.
For me it’s easier to dry tumble brass. I don’t have to heat up the media, and can plug it in and forget about it for an hour or so.

There’s 2 different size Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaners. Seems like you had the small one, which I believe they are all built at the same place and just branded accordingly.

This is the small one and yes it is limited to 180 seconds of time (with Lyman badging):

24a541d80a6c9e04b9afcd224b9d1777.jpg

This is the large one 6L, and it’s adjustable for temp up to 80°c/176°F and time adjustable from 5 to 30 minutes time.

2a06f7a4abbbb25e393b5681332adbc2.jpg

Here is a batch of range pick up brass after a single 15 minutes run time at max temp.

6d4945b1f642daaebf227d7a36f15627.jpg

2103c0b10643fc1ae2e86cc016820621.jpg

SippyCup

FNG
There’s 2 different size Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaners. Seems like you had the small one, which I believe they are all built at the same place and just branded accordingly.

This is the small one and yes it is limited to 180 seconds of time (with Lyman badging):

24a541d80a6c9e04b9afcd224b9d1777.jpg

This is the large one 6L, and it’s adjustable for temp up to 80°c/176°F and time adjustable from 5 to 30 minutes time.

2a06f7a4abbbb25e393b5681332adbc2.jpg

Here is a batch of range pick up brass after a single 15 minutes run time at max temp.

6d4945b1f642daaebf227d7a36f15627.jpg

2103c0b10643fc1ae2e86cc016820621.jpg

That’s not even a comparable difference to the results I was getting. To the OP don’t get the little fella from harbor freight

Arcola

FNG
I had a 6L $200ish model from Amazon for carburetors. Burned up two units on two carburetors. Sent them both back and I’m still on the hunt for something decent for suppressors. Looks like you really have to pony up $$ for a decent quality model.