Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Taudisio

WKR
I sort of inherited a .223 AR pistol and that thing is LOUD even with a suppressor. This thread gave me the idea to flip the gas block around to see if the lack of "port pop" is enough to make it somewhat close to hearing safe. I'll just manually cycle it for a few shots to test the theory.

If I like how that works I'll probably get some fiberglass parts, make it a manual side charger and turn it into a really light and compact "backpacking" gun. Basically light enough that I'd carry it when I wasn't really hunting but capable enough I'd have a decent chance to kill something if I saw a bear and started hunting. With my barrel length I think I could get 200+ yards. But if the little stinker stays that loud I might switch to a 300 Blk or something a bit longer.
It may also depend on your suppressor. I have a large suppressor and it quiets my 5.56 gasser down a lot, but throws a lot of gas out. Going to a non-gasser makes a huge difference though.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same suppressor on a 6.5 Grendal pistol and it didn't ring my ears that much. This felt louder even with ear pro. Might have been partly the environment (indoors) but still I don't think I'd shoot that rig as is without ear pro unless a bear was about to get me. Kids noticed the gas from the 6.5 Grendal hitting them in the face too. Another reason I want to go to manually operated this winter. I need to geek out over part weights for a bit. My rough plan for right now is two builds
1. A super light and minimal AR pistol for me. This would be the "backpacking" gun and the backup gun when kids are the primary shooters.
2. A slightly heavier AR pistol for kids to use. This will be the "Goldilocks" gun, heavy enough the boys can shoot it well but light and compact enough we can carry it without too much trouble. I'm thinking of shooting for 7-8 pounds total. I could get there with a 4 pound build and still use my 28oz suppressor and my heavy SWFA scope.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I had the same suppressor on a 6.5 Grendal pistol and it didn't ring my ears that much. This felt louder even with ear pro. Might have been partly the environment (indoors) but still I don't think I'd shoot that rig as is without ear pro unless a bear was about to get me. Kids noticed the gas from the 6.5 Grendal hitting them in the face too. Another reason I want to go to manually operated this winter. I need to geek out over part weights for a bit. My rough plan for right now is two builds
1. A super light and minimal AR pistol for me. This would be the "backpacking" gun and the backup gun when kids are the primary shooters.
2. A slightly heavier AR pistol for kids to use. This will be the "Goldilocks" gun, heavy enough the boys can shoot it well but light and compact enough we can carry it without too much trouble. I'm thinking of shooting for 7-8 pounds total. I could get there with a 4 pound build and still use my 28oz suppressor and my heavy SWFA scope.
If you do decide it works well as a side charger, you could loose the buffer/spring and cut the back off your bolt carrier. That would free up all the stock options.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Fantastic!

Alright guys, time to buy those out in a week so they make more and maybe even expand to other chamberings. Mine is shooting 77TMKs sub-MOA and is a great barrel.

I'm taking StupidLightweight's advice and not doing any more ported barrels for these, if at all possible. Unported barrels make them into cleaner and better finished rifles. Not that ported barrels don't work just fine, but this is the way to go if you're past the "experimental stage".

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Just got one of the Green Mountain blanks back from the gunsmith. He left the chamber a little fat but the rest is nice - 0.600" tapered to 0.450" at the muzzle, 20" long. I even have it cut to feed 2.415" OAL 88 gr ELDMs, which it does beautifully.

Only problem - it shoots like dog crap. I've never seen a barrel shoot this poorly. 6 MOA with 4 different loads (and 2 different scopes). It all looks good, I swapped barrels and the gun shoots fine. I'm stumped.

Anyone looking for some ULUL spare parts, let me know as I'm accumulating quite a bit at this point, now to include this barrel...

Guess I'll order a Shaw!

20241015_173505.jpg

gtriple

WKR

Here is the link for the barrel. My play money budget is too tight right now for me to order at the moment. It’s $231 with shipping for those that are curious.
I went ahead and picked one up lol. Haven't even gotten my faxon barrel installed yet, but not sure if/when these would be available again.

Just got one of the Green Mountain blanks back from the gunsmith. He left the chamber a little fat but the rest is nice - 0.600" tapered to 0.450" at the muzzle, 20" long. I even have it cut to feed 2.415" OAL 88 gr ELDMs, which it does beautifully.

Only problem - it shoots like dog crap. I've never seen a barrel shoot this poorly. 6 MOA with 4 different loads (and 2 different scopes). It all looks good, I swapped barrels and the gun shoots fine. I'm stumped.
Odd that it won't shoot better than that. It looks amazing. My suggestion would be to chop the barrel back. The shorter you go, the stiffer it will be.

Taudisio

WKR
I went ahead and picked one up lol. Haven't even gotten my faxon barrel installed yet, but not sure if/when these would be available again.
I was thinking/going to do the same. If they are still available after I burn through a few more tanks of gas, I’ll scoop one up.

Dukhtr3

FNG
What velocity are you seeing with 77 tmk out of 16" barrel? Will I regret not going 18"?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Got a Shaw portless coming. And I’ll have a spare BCA ported because I wasn’t patient enough.

Going 223 Wylde with 77 TMK in a Solo and also going to make a side charging 6 ARC with BCA upper. If the ARC is too hard to cycle I’m going to turn an adjustable gas block way down to just crack the bolt head for me. Can’t go as light this way. Would love a 22 ARC but harder to find those barrels in a reasonable weight.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I was thinking/going to do the same. If they are still available after I burn through a few more tanks of gas, I’ll scoop one up.
Well...if you hadn't shot 20k 87 VMaxes in the last couple months your pockets would be overflowing with cash. 😅