Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR

Thegman, what are you using on these foam butt pads? Is it adhesive backed or are you just gluing on some foam of some kind?​

View attachment 763943
It's similar to flip-flop foam, but a little less dense and softer (it was the backer of some kind of sign thing that, years ago, hung on a former co-worker's door - I convinced him I really needed it 😅)

Anyway... I pre-cut and sand the pad to fit the butt. Attach double sided carpet tape to the butt, press it on firmly and trim to fit. Then remove the backer from the tape and use additional adhesive on the tape (I use E6000) and attach the pad. Keep pressure on it overnight with painter's tape, etc. and it's good to go.

I use the carpet tape just so it can be fairly easily removed if necessary, but its adhesive isn't strong enough to hold the pad very well, so needs extra adhesive on the tape-to-pad side.

I've never had one come loose, but if you aren't worried about the mess, if you want to remove it, straight E6000 etc. without the tape in between would work great.

Something like duct tape would probably work just fine in place of carpet tape. I just initially tried carpet tape by itself as a solution. Found it needed the E6000 on the pad side, but worked fine otherwise.

Last edited:

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
A flip flop is certainly the easiest way to find a suitable foam, I found a pair free in some promotion and there's enough foam to do 4 butt pads.
I glued mine on with a contact cement, there's a decent weight saving for very minimal cost and its holding up fine
20240705_142118.jpg
20240705_142151.jpg

Attachments

• 20240707_170009.jpg
    20240707_170009.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
A flip flop is certainly the easiest way to find a suitable foam, I found a pair free in some promotion and there's enough foam to do 4 butt pads.
I glued mine on with a contact cement, there's a decent weight saving for very minimal cost and its holding up fine
View attachment 764108
View attachment 764110
Definitely the way to go on these rifles. This is the one I put on the Smoke Composites. Their lightest one is way heavier and not soft at all.

I have to admit, your work is much more artful and better looking than mine! I'm sure it's pretty obvious by now, but a rifle’s looks is way down on my list, in fact, it's not even on my list...😅
20240827_102631.jpg

Lentuk

FNG
I have seen a few builds here with folding stocks, do you feel the ability to fold is worth the extra weight?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I would feel they are all so light it probably would be if you used it. Obviously not it you didn't.
I agree. They're so lightweight already I'd opt for whatever you like functionally unless you're chasing the lightest weight possible.

If you push the weight too much I think they can get pretty squirrely. The sub-3# Little Big Gun has been challenging to keep consistently sub-MOA; it will, sometimes, and sometimes it won't. Seems really sensitive to any variables, which isn't really surprising.

I don't hold the forearm/handgaurd on my other rifles and they always shoot well for me that way, but just have found today this rifle does -much- better with a Nathan Foster fairly firm hold down and somewhat in on the handgaurd; essentially adding weight to the rifle. Much more consistent that way. The sometimes won't seems to be gone so far using that technique.

What folding mechanism would you recommend?
AGP Arms' version is the only lightweight folder I've used, and though it's not a true lightweight, it works well for these straight-pull builds.

Folding hunting chassis for bolt-guns spoiled me. I'll take a weight penalty for length reduction any day.

Attachments

• Folded.jpeg
    Folded.jpeg
    583.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Folder.jpeg
    Folder.jpeg
    622.7 KB · Views: 20

gtriple

WKR
AGP Arms' version is the only lightweight folder I've used, and though it's not a true lightweight, it works well for these straight-pull builds.

Folding hunting chassis for bolt-guns spoiled me. I'll take a weight penalty for length reduction any day.

Agreed. The folder is always worth the weight. I just packed out a bear yesterday through a jungle and being able to fold my rifle so it is only the height of my pack was a game changer.

Taudisio

WKR

Do you have a weight for it? I think the 6x45 may get a change up, but I’d still like to be under 5 pounds suppressed.

Please stop. I really don't need another rifle but I find myself NEEDING a folding stock, straight pull AR like this... probably as an SBR....

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
And what about the Kidon folder? I've never used a folding stock, but it seemed like some of the guys liked those(??).