Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Taudisio

WKR
Yes sir it's a progression we've considered over the years. The trick is to accomplished that without turning into a $1,300 Uintah Precision.
Awesome! I have been in talks with a machinist friend and we have a “napkin drawing” and some parts to start it, but he is busy with other projects. I’ll run it by him, but maybe he will be open to sharing the thoughts with you, so maybe you can start on it so I can have it in my hands before 2027 😂

IMG_1694.jpeg
IMG_1693.jpeg

Build List
Solo300 Upper w. NDZ? Aluminum bolt handle
Faxon 7.5" 1:5t w. Banish 30
KVP Handguard
Polymer Handstop from Strike Industries
Primary Arms 3x Prism w. 300blk reticle
TN Arms Lower, Schmid Safety, Larue 2-stage Trigger, milspec LPK
Hogue Grip
El Cheapo Airsoft folding stock

I shot it as proof of concept at an indoor range to make sure everything worked, it did! Now to get it outdoor and test the accuracy.

I also built this same gun but with 8.6blk using an AR10 lower from TN Arms but I haven't finished the custom carbon handguard yet. It also needs a BCG but I followed the same idea. Make it as small and compact as possible.

Last edited:
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
View attachment 762320
View attachment 762322

Build List
Solo300 Upper w. NDZ? Aluminum bolt handle
Faxon 7.5" 1:5t w. Banish 30
KVP Handguard
Polymer Handstop from Strike Industries
Primary Arms 3x Prism w. 300blk reticle
TN Arms Lower, Schmid Safety, Larue 2-stage Trigger, milspec LPK
Hogue Grip
El Cheapo Airsoft folding stock

I shot it as proof of concept at an indoor range to make sure everything worked, it did! Now to get it outdoor and test the accuracy.

I also built this same gun but with 8.6blk using an AR10 lower from TN Arms but I haven't finished the custom carbon handguard yet. It also needs a BCG but I followed the same idea. Make it as small and compact as possible.
I think that little sucker is going to kick ass.

Lentuk

FNG
The Aero Precision scope mount I have seen a few of you using seems to be a nice light weight option but I am seeing a few problems with them cracking?
Anyone here have any issues with these or is it just "my uncles best friends brother" had an issue?apra210100-ultralight-1in-standard-scope-mount-black-.png

With the aero precision mounts, as you tighten down the screws on those rings the scope tends to rotate. You have to start with the scope off of level a degree or two in order to end up level when you’re done tightening. It can be a little tricky and annoying to get it exactly right.

But durability-wise I haven’t had any issues with them.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
With the aero precision mounts, as you tighten down the screws on those rings the scope tends to rotate. You have to start with the scope off of level a degree or two in order to end up level when you’re done tightening. It can be a little tricky and annoying to get it exactly right.

But durability-wise I haven’t had any issues with them.
If you swear at it a lot the third time you're tightening it down and call it a bunch of names....I find that helps.

The only problem I've had so far is the scope slipping when on a 300 HAM’R. I now put liquid electrical tape on the rings regardless of cartridge and zero slipping. No cracking, or any other issue.

I'd suggest the extended base with the ocular end ring moved forward. The standard base rings are almost too far apart for some scopes. Aero has diagrams of them on their website so you can check the spacing and see which fits best for your scope.

180ls1

WKR
If you swear at it a lot the third time you're tightening it down and call it a bunch of names....I find that helps.

The only problem I've had so far is the scope slipping when on a 300 HAM’R. I now put liquid electrical tape on the rings regardless of cartridge and zero slipping. No cracking, or any other issue.

I'd suggest the extended base with the ocular end ring moved forward. The standard base rings are almost too far apart for some scopes. Aero has diagrams of them on their website so you can check the spacing and see which fits best for your scope.

Is the liquid electrical tape trick pretty well vetted? Its my first time hearing of this.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Is the liquid electrical tape trick pretty well vetted? Its my first time hearing of this.
Yes, I've vetted the shit out of it...😅

On a more serious note, I got the idea from a guy who mounts scopes on people's rifles professionally (not the only thing he does).

This is the only situation I've needed something like that, but it did stop the slipping I was having.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Can you recommend a brand of liquid electrical tape?
I bought the Plastic Dip brand, because that's what the store carried, but I think any brand I've seen would work fine.

I get everything ready, apply a light coat to the rings, get the scope set correctly (there's enough working time) and tighten everything down. The
next day I use a toothpick to remove the dried excess that squeezed out from under the rings.

Living in the boonies, I've also dissolved dried out pitch (when it's crumbly and powdery) in alcohol to make a sort of liquid rosin. That seems to work okay too and is definitely less messy and noxious than the liquid tape.

I should add, I only started doing this with a really lightweight 300 HAM’R. If you’re building a somewhat heavier 223, scope slipping may be a non-issue. I just do this now on all of these UL-ULs as it's easy to do and seems to eliminate any chance of scope slippage.

Last edited:

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, check out this 2.2-pound double-rifle chambered in .17 HMR or .22 Hornet. If everyone on this thread pitches in $500, we can maybe snag a sample and share ownership. Wow...

I've long admired that rifle since I first saw those pictures, something like 10 years ago.
What an ultimate, imagine the fun that could be had in amongst a herd of small hogs

OP
T

Thegman

WKR