Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

eldorado8

FNG
A question, gentlemen, if I may.

I’ve been planning to build a rifle along these lines for some months. I mostly want it very lightweight so that after a fancy optic and a can are added it will still be under 5-6lbs. I’d like to go with a 16” .223 barrel for velocity.

Given these parameters, do you think this rig will balance OK?

Figured it never hurts to ask before I drop a few hundred bucks in parts.

I swapped everything i could, and confirmed its the barrel, on the other hand i found something that shoots better out of it so thats good.
I confirmed the barrel wasnt moving (though these pencil barrels are crazy flexible). Put a different barrel nut on with no handguard, bolt and higher magnification scope out of a known good rifle, shot 5 different bullets out of it 2 with different powders, and some of the same batch as last time. Same results, everything save 1 was 3moa or worse. The 2.5" group i shot last time shot a 3.5" this time. However it shot a 1.8" 6 shot group of 73 gn eldm over staball match. So i feel like that could be worth repeating with a bigger sample size and seeing if it holds there. Still i will probably buy a new barrel. I dont like being confined to 1 bullet and powder. And really thats already at the limit of what i want from my hunting guns. Maybe ill save the barrel for a ultralight 3 gun setup or something.
How do you like the Nosler k can?!? Mine for my 6x45 is still in jail, feds hate me I suppose, and my hybrid 46m would be ridiculous on it. I haven’t found many (any) reviews except the shop owner said “It’s great. Works great, super light”-a salesman of few words.
Ill say the same as the salesman hah! Its my first can, im the first of people i know, so i have nothing to compare it to. But I have zero complaints. It makes me want one for each rifle. The weight of the can is 8 oz and the direct thread mount is 1.6 oz. The extra 1.6 oz they dont advertise makes it more in line with what other manufacturers offer, but its still at a way lower price. Sound wise on my 6.5 creed I can shoot it without ear pro and my ears feel better than using power tools without ear pro. But i still use ear pro when practicing. The blast/ recoil reduction is significant to me. The poi shift is repeatable, i swap it around between 3 rifles at the moment. The low temperature rating had me scared but i can crank off 15 shots as fast as i can make good shots in my 6.5 and it got to 320* F according to a very accurate temp gun. So still 100 under their max temp rating. This convinced me i could forget about that for my hunting practice. I wouldnt take it to a prs match and defintely not a 3 gun / tactical match, but ive put 500 rounds through it now shooting 10 shot strings one after another in 90* temps this summer and theres no visible damage to the blast baffles. I like it so much I would like to buy a second of these to dedicate one to my main gun, but will first likely buy a larger / heavier / quieter range specific can that can take the heat of competition. I think it fits perfectly into what this thread is all about and would rock on the 6x45. Its a great can for hunting. Light, functional, and not expensive. When theyre on sale i couldve bought 2 for the price of a high dollar can with the same functionality.

I mostly want it very lightweight so that after a fancy optic and a can are added it will still be under 5-6lbs. I’d like to go with a 16” .223 barrel for velocity.
Mine balances a couple inches in front of the mag well with the can on. The heavier optic brings it back right to the front of the magwell vs the ultralight 5x.

Taudisio

WKR
I swapped everything i could, and confirmed its the barrel, on the other hand i found something that shoots better out of it so thats good.
I confirmed the barrel wasnt moving (though these pencil barrels are crazy flexible). Put a different barrel nut on with no handguard, bolt and higher magnification scope out of a known good rifle, shot 5 different bullets out of it 2 with different powders, and some of the same batch as last time. Same results, everything save 1 was 3moa or worse. The 2.5" group i shot last time shot a 3.5" this time. However it shot a 1.8" 6 shot group of 73 gn eldm over staball match. So i feel like that could be worth repeating with a bigger sample size and seeing if it holds there. Still i will probably buy a new barrel. I dont like being confined to 1 bullet and powder. And really thats already at the limit of what i want from my hunting guns. Maybe ill save the barrel for a ultralight 3 gun setup or something.

Ill say the same as the salesman hah! Its my first can, im the first of people i know, so i have nothing to compare it to. But I have zero complaints. It makes me want one for each rifle. The weight of the can is 8 oz and the direct thread mount is 1.6 oz. The extra 1.6 oz they dont advertise makes it more in line with what other manufacturers offer, but its still at a way lower price. Sound wise on my 6.5 creed I can shoot it without ear pro and my ears feel better than using power tools without ear pro. But i still use ear pro when practicing. The blast/ recoil reduction is significant to me. The poi shift is repeatable, i swap it around between 3 rifles at the moment. The low temperature rating had me scared but i can crank off 15 shots as fast as i can make good shots in my 6.5 and it got to 320* F according to a very accurate temp gun. So still 100 under their max temp rating. This convinced me i could forget about that for my hunting practice. I wouldnt take it to a prs match and defintely not a 3 gun / tactical match, but ive put 500 rounds through it now shooting 10 shot strings one after another in 90* temps this summer and theres no visible damage to the blast baffles. I like it so much I would like to buy a second of these to dedicate one to my main gun, but will first likely buy a larger / heavier / quieter range specific can that can take the heat of competition. I think it fits perfectly into what this thread is all about and would rock on the 6x45. Its a great can for hunting. Light, functional, and not expensive. When theyre on sale i couldve bought 2 for the price of a high dollar can with the same functionality.
I have experience with other suppressors to compare it to, once it shows up, and two other rifles I have mounts on waiting for it. The 30k is a dedicated hunting can in my head, hopefully it takes enough of the pop out of it to not worry about ear pro. I talked to the owner of Stingerworx who made the suppressor with his partner that went on to nosler. He was very nice and we discussed the design and such and he sent me a part for free that nosler said I couldn’t order separate. I appreciate your input on your experience with it! My other suppressor is a hybrid 46m and it’s gigantic but for a different role.

Clarktar

WKR
Looks like these Solo uppers are now available. But dang the price almost doubled!

Lentuk

FNG
Yep but both add weight, the barrels made without the gas block pad are pure taper all the way to the muzzle threads, much lighter.

Yep but both add weight, the barrels made without the gas block pad are pure taper all the way to the muzzle threads, much lighter.
The way to go is to get a portless barrel, but I wouldn't say they're "much lighter." Some of the Bear Creek barrels with gas block journals were within a few ounces of the lightest custom barrels I've seen. You're dealing with a maximum of 2.5 to 3 ounces.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
It's probably like .75 oz lighter from what I can tell based on what my stainless gas port block weighs and it's similar in size to the raised area of the barrel.

Lentuk

FNG
OK, everyone has their idea of where to shave ounces, I am going portless so I can add those ounces to my optics.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
OK, everyone has their idea of where to shave ounces, I am going portless so I can add those ounces to my optics.
Shaw will be selling unported 223 Wylde barrels. They should be on the website soon, if not already.

Speaking of Shaw 223 Wylde unported barrels.
This was the first shot on game with the Little Big Gun. I wasn't exactly mountain hunting, but it was nice to carry around regardless. 20240906_185414.jpg

Lentuk

FNG
I am using a Trijicon Accupoint 3x9 on another rifle and have decided to buy another for this build, what are you guys using for rings on these flat tops? Do not really want to use one of the heavy cantilever mounts.
This is a 1 inch tube by the way.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
how much do this builds coast you i would really make plans towards building one.
Cost could vary from probably around $600 or so depending on what parts you buy or build, to sky is the limit. For example, you could spend $35 on a trigger group that works fine, or $350 on a trigger group that works fine-er.

eldorado8

FNG
I got my lower complete for $50. Used. Admittedly a good deal. Not anything special in terms of weight. It seems I could save 9oz+ going with a TN arms plus minimalist stock, instead of just an Anderson with generic Magpul adjustable.

Trigger used for $125.

Barrel $250? There’s Faxon for $136 plus shipping and a gas block (25?) or wait for Shaw (my plan right now.)

CF handguard $125?

Optic could be anything from a red dot or irons sitting in the parts box to a $750+. I’ll probably spend $500 on a Leupold 1.5-5x.

Mount free-100?

Barrel nut $25?

So my cost will be around $1175 give or take a couple hundred.

But I’m also splurging on some Gucci parts and don’t have a lot of random stuff left over like some do.

Taudisio

WKR
I got my lower complete for $50. Used. Admittedly a good deal. Not anything special in terms of weight. It seems I could save 9oz+ going with a TN arms plus minimalist stock, instead of just an Anderson with generic Magpul adjustable.

Trigger used for $125.

Barrel $250? There’s Faxon for $136 plus shipping and a gas block (25?) or wait for Shaw (my plan right now.)

CF handguard $125?

Optic could be anything from a red dot or irons sitting in the parts box to a $750+. I’ll probably spend $500 on a Leupold 1.5-5x.

Mount free-100?

Barrel nut $25?

But I’m also splurging on some Gucci parts and don’t have a lot of random stuff left over like some do.
A used trigger for $125?
Which CF handguard? Both of my kaw valleys came with the barrel nut.
You are missing your whole upper receiver.

eldorado8

FNG
A used trigger for $125?
Which CF handguard? Both of my kaw valleys came with the barrel nut.
You are missing your whole upper receiver.

Ha! Brain fart. Solo 300, $345. They’re $329 now, with like $15 in shipping.

I picked up a triggertech diamond. Never tried one before but I’ve heard great things.

gtriple

WKR

Trigger used for $125.

CF handguard $125?

Mount free-100?

Barrel nut $25?

Here's my build list without optics. Still deciding on that.
1000008822.jpg