Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
I posted more in the 22 Hornet thread, but I got the Dark Mountain Stowaway 5.7 and it's really cool - aside from the trigger that I'm working on. Under 3 lbs, and I'm loading 60 gr TMKs to 2300 fps; the perfect 200 yd, $325 deer rifle for a kid...?

Taudisio

WKR
I posted more in the 22 Hornet thread, but I got the Dark Mountain Stowaway 5.7 and it's really cool - aside from the trigger that I'm working on. Under 3 lbs, and I'm loading 60 gr TMKs to 2300 fps; the perfect 200 yd, $325 deer rifle for a kid...?
Ooooo! What optic did you go with? Have you shot groups with it yet? Do you have an actual weight for it?

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Ooooo! What optic did you go with? Have you shot groups with it yet? Do you have an actual weight for it?
I have a PA 3x prism on it now; groups well at 50 so far. The bare gun was 2 lb 14 oz. The trigger was atrocious, and a mile long, but if I can get that cleaned up, the size of this thing would make it astounding to carry around and it looks like it'll have the goods for a shorter range deer gun. It's really a neat design. That little 5.7 is a cool caliber, too - like a modernized Hornet with faster twist.

Taudisio

WKR
I have a PA 3x prism on it now; groups well at 50 so far. The bare gun was 2 lb 14 oz. The trigger was atrocious, and a mile long, but if I can get that cleaned up, the size of this thing would make it astounding to carry around and it looks like it'll have the goods for a shorter range deer gun. It's really a neat design. That little 5.7 is a cool caliber, too - like a modernized Hornet with faster twist.
How do you like the 3x? I think the “scoped” weight of that will be about the same as my 5.56 with the red dot, it’s 3lb 4oz without a mag or ammo. But you will be significantly less money into it. I look forward to seeing your results!

Edit to add: I’ve always been interested in the 5.7. If it’s enough to take people down in CQB, it’s enough for deer. Finding the maximum effective range would be interesting.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like the 3x? I think the “scoped” weight of that will be about the same as my 5.56 with the red dot, it’s 3lb 4oz without a mag or ammo. But you will be significantly less money into it. I look forward to seeing your results!

Edit to add: I’ve always been interested in the 5.7. If it’s enough to take people down in CQB, it’s enough for deer. Finding the maximum effective range would be interesting.
It seems nice enough so far. And yeah, I've got a ULUL Solo 300 build as well, which I love. This Stowaway is just another option, and it is a good deal smaller, though not really lighter, which is neat. And in a caliber that burns 9 gr of powder as a 200-yd deer gun? Yes please.

Dark Mountain also says they're working on conversions for 22 LR, 9mm, and 223...

Dark Mountain also says they're working on conversions for 22 LR, 9mm, and 223...
I’m certain he told me recently that the .223/.300 BLK version will be a larger design. The 5.7 receiver will accept all rimfires as well as 9mm once he begins making them.

You’re right about it being a cool gun with a mediocre trigger pull. A deer kill with the 60 TMK will be incredible!

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
I’m certain he told me recently that the .223/.300 BLK version will be a larger design. The 5.7 receiver will accept all rimfires as well as 9mm once he begins making them.

You’re right about it being a cool gun with a mediocre trigger pull. A deer kill with the 60 TMK will be incredible!
Good to know. I need to figure out how to address this trigger. Have you looked into it or talked to Aaron about it? I ground 0.25" off the engagement tab, sacrificing case ejection, and it's better but still bad.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Has anyone done a build using a 223 based 6mm or 257? There is a wildcat called 25-45 Sharps that looks interesting. I'm intrigued to do one of these builds, I am not a big black gun/ AR guy though.
Yes. I’ve done:

25-223, 6mm Mongoose, 6mmx6.8 and 25x6.8… among other AR based wildcats.

What questions do you have?

Good to know. I need to figure out how to address this trigger. Have you looked into it or talked to Aaron about it? I ground 0.25" off the engagement tab, sacrificing case ejection, and it's better but still bad.
I have no suggestions on how to fix the trigger. For its purpose as a survival-type gun, it works fine as-is. In today's world, we're spoiled by so many good triggers that mediocre ones like this seem worse than they are.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Just went to work grinding again on the trigger and got it doing great. Crisp and not heavy. My rifle doesn't eject cases now, but they still extract and can be quickly dumped out if need be. Very worthwhile trade for me - the trigger pull from the factory was a dealbreaker. Now, I'm very excited about this rifle!

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Typing at the same time... I'm definitely no trigger snob, but my sample size of 1 Stowaway was atrocious - like worse than Nerf guns, a mile long and bumpy. I measured and ground off a full quarter inch (!) of engagement from the sear, then removed more material from the notch of the bolt.

Good to go now though!

I have no suggestions on how to fix the trigger. For its purpose as a survival-type gun, it works fine as-is. In today's world, we're spoiled by so many good triggers that mediocre ones like this seem worse than they are.

Heres my build, you guys inspired me. Weve been buying a house lately so funds are tight so i started with a reciever and lower parts i already had. This made convincing someone else that buying a new barrel and upper and optic was a reasonable choice, much easier. I went with a bca side charger since solo was out at the moment i looked. In hopes of reducing weight close to the plastic parts some are using i went to town with the angle grinder and drill. I call it the golfball gun.
Lower - Noreen
Trigger - Rise Rave 140
Lpk - spare bits in the bottom of a box
Grip - MFT w Ti grip screw
Upper - BCA side charger
Barrel - faxxon pencil 5.56
Gas block - old one cut in half/lightened
Handguard/barrel nut- Wiland
Stock - Kidon folder
SIlencer - Nosler SR30K
Optic - primary arms 5x microprism

1000003642.jpg

I forgot to take one without the optic and can but it was under 4lb. Im also quite proud of the cut down magazine i made using a plastic welder and those hot staple things. Saving .5 oz wasnt exciting but having an ar with a flatter profile on the front lower is nice and still fits 7.

My big complaints are the thing shoots awful. I mean military grade accuracy. So once the house dies down im going to buy a good barrel (guess i got my $80 worth). And the kidon stock has that awful bend in it. My face either is on that hard angle or in the CH which both suck.
Otherwise i love the thing. Its so light and fun to operate. I hope I can get a barrel before season and use it on a hunt or two!

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Heres my build, you guys inspired me. Weve been buying a house lately so funds are tight so i started with a reciever and lower parts i already had. This made convincing someone else that buying a new barrel and upper and optic was a reasonable choice, much easier. I went with a bca side charger since solo was out at the moment i looked. In hopes of reducing weight close to the plastic parts some are using i went to town with the angle grinder and drill. I call it the golfball gun.
Lower - Noreen
Trigger - Rise Rave 140
Upper - BCA side charger
Stock - Kidon folder
SIlencer - Nosler SR30K

View attachment 756024

I forgot to take one without the optic and can but it was under 4lb. Im also quite proud of the cut down magazine i made using a plastic welder and those hot staple things. Saving .5 oz wasnt exciting but having an ar with a flatter profile on the front lower is nice and still fits 7.

My big complaints are the thing shoots awful. I mean military grade accuracy. So once the house dies down im going to buy a good barrel (guess i got my $80 worth). And the kidon stock has that awful bend in it. My face either is on that hard angle or in the CH which both suck.
Otherwise i love the thing. Its so light and fun to operate. I hope I can get a barrel before season and use it on a hunt or two!
How bad in inchs? I'd check barrels tight. The nut can bottom out and the barrel extension can be just a little loose. Some people have mentioned it in this thread.

FWIW my gas gun faxon pencil was my 2nd most accurate rifle when we lost our semis.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
How bad in inchs? I'd check barrels tight. The nut can bottom out and the barrel extension can be just a little loose. Some people have mentioned it in this thread.

FWIW my gas gun faxon pencil was my 2nd most accurate rifle when we lost our semis.
Yeah, I have multiple Faxons and every one of them shoots well. Maybe check everything before you write that barrel off.

Fair point @Stocky and @Thegman It all seems tight and i have room from the barrel nut to the reciever face but Ill investigate more. I can try a different barrel nut for free. And if i can organize my moving chaos i can clamp the reciever and use a dial caliper to see if the barrels moving i guess. In 5 shot groups it went 3.5" and 2.5" at 100 with 2 bullets that are normally 1.5" for 20 rounds in my other ar.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Fair point @Stocky and @Thegman It all seems tight and i have room from the barrel nut to the reciever face but Ill investigate more. I can try a different barrel nut for free. And if i can organize my moving chaos i can clamp the reciever and use a dial caliper to see if the barrels moving i guess. In 5 shot groups it went 3.5" and 2.5" at 100 with 2 bullets that are normally 1.5" for 20 rounds in my other ar.
OK that's not as terrible as I thought. Could just be a powder bullet combo it doesn't like. My faxon used to do 10 rounds of both the fiochhi and hornady 55 vmax loads under an inch and 73 elds and Varget into 1-1.5moa. Never did find anything to outshoot the factory vmaxs and they killed a heap of wallabies and a decent number of fallow deer.

Taudisio

WKR
Lower - Noreen
Trigger - Rise Rave 140
Upper - BCA side charger
Stock - Kidon folder
SIlencer - Nosler SR30K

View attachment 756024

How do you like the Nosler k can?!? Mine for my 6x45 is still in jail, feds hate me I suppose, and my hybrid 46m would be ridiculous on it. I haven’t found many (any) reviews except the shop owner said “It’s great. Works great, super light”-a salesman of few words.

Another thing I would triple check is that your gas block isn’t touching the handguard. A quick thing to check is swapping bolts with a proven rifle to rule that out as well.