Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Yeah this is the 4", I find the 3" handle too small as well, even in the kitchen.

I'd say we're still on topic, if you're going to carry the lightest rifle you can, may as well as have a knife to match šŸ˜…

But to really bring it back, here's my choice that still has a ways to go.
Howa Mini in .223, Stockys carbon stock, it's had the action sides slabbed and will be going for a barrel chop next month.20240506_180414.jpg20240506_180103.jpg

There's a few gunsmiths here in New Zealand with CNC and an interest in the Howa Mini and they're really hogging off some metal from the action and bolt.
20240408_064842.jpg20240408_064851.jpg
Also there's the Elude Chassis, same price as most of the carbon stock options and even a little bit lighter than some, 3.9lb total rifle weight šŸ˜³
FB_IMG_1715718813284.jpg

A little more on topic. For all the guys that have been traveling down the ultralight-ultralight path, you ought to get yourself a copy of this. Having the inside scoop, I think you'll get a kick out of it. Notice the large "3" on the cover. It's like code to you guys...šŸ˜†

Did you write the article?

There's a few gunsmiths here in New Zealand with CNC and an interest in the Howa Mini and they're really hogging off some metal from the action and bolt.
View attachment 711824View attachment 711825
Also there's the Elude Chassis, same price as most of the carbon stock options and even a little bit lighter than some, 3.9lb total rifle weight šŸ˜³
View attachment 711823
Chasis' are usually too heavy, but that one is damn nice! I have a SA 700Ti not being used I keep mulling building a 4-poudish 6/22 Dasher/GT or something, but just haven't been able to justify it since these little ARs are working so well. Not a bad "problem" to have, I guess, so no complaints here!

A little more on topic. For all the guys that have been traveling down the ultralight-ultralight path, you ought to follow the link and get yourself a copy of this. Having the inside scoop, I think you'll get a kick out of it. Notice the large "3" on the cover. It's like code to you guys...šŸ˜†

View attachment 711830
I would love to see that article kick off some more ultra ultralight parts and modifications for AR-15's, with a lower price of course. Congratulations on getting the article published! I plan on picking up a copy to get a look at it.

Jealous of that stainless 223 Mini!

Very true of me as well.

The action lightening of the Howa's is very interesting. I'm curious how much weight it took off.

The little Elude is pretty cool. The short forend kinda rules it out for my use (...maybe not...), and I prefer a stock in most cases, but my hat's off to the company for pursuing that. I'd like to spend some time with one.

A little more on topic. For all the guys that have been traveling down the ultralight-ultralight path, you ought to follow the link and get yourself a copy of this. Having the inside scoop, I think you'll get a kick out of it. Notice the large "3" on the cover. It's like code to you guys...šŸ˜†

View attachment 711830

Thereā€™s a linked and organized Google sheet in this post with a wealth of parts weights for builds like this. Very handy.

If that Rossi is available soon, I'll pick one up in 5.56. I need something small for my kids to hunt with, and it's cheap enough to be worth a try. I don't have high hopes for the trigger or fit/finish, but you can't be picky at that price. If CVA would make the Scout in .223 or 5.56, I'd already have one.

Neither of those options is particularly lightweight, but they'd carry well.

I went looking for the magazine with the lightweight article in it, and couldn.t find one on the news stands.

I ordered one online.

Back