Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Here’s a couple comparison pics. First one with my 16” 6mm ARC night hunting rifle, 2nd with my other SBRs. No action pics yet ha.

View attachment 689840

View attachment 689841
You've got some cool stuff there. That little 350L is going to be a badass thumper for sure. I've got the dies, brass and bullets, makes me wish I had enough hunting situations to build one for myself!

Choot

FNG
Classified Approved
It can get bumped open more easily than a traditional bolt rifle, but generally doesn't. Carrying like you will, I think it's less of an issue than some other carry options.

Mine is usually slung on the right side of my pack frame when mountain hunting. It occasionally gets bumped out of battery if the rifle is "bouncing and banging" while traversing rough terrain, so I have a habit of checking it, but I would do the same with a Remington 700 while going through brush, for example. This is only an issue if carrying chambered. If the chamber is empty and the hammer is down, like it is most of the time, it doesn't happen and is a non-issue.
Thanks! I ordered one, we will see how it goes

Here’s a couple comparison pics. First one with my 16” 6mm ARC night hunting rifle, 2nd with my other SBRs. No action pics yet ha.

View attachment 689840

View attachment 689841
IMG_2190.jpegA cut up shower shoe and some self stick bandage wrap makes a nice cheek riser for the Kidon stock. Used tin snips to rough cut the foam and an angle grinder to smooth and shape it.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to order an IMI folding stock, but it would have been less than 26" folded and my state doesn't explicitly say if they'd measure with the stock extended or folded, so I splurged on a smoke composites stock to avoid that potential headache.

Down to 4lbs 0oz with mag, optic, sling. I think I'm done unless I can easily lose one more oz without losing any function or spending a fortune.

Considering it has an M4E1 lower and I didn't go exotic with hardware, I think this is a win.1000004518.jpg

Last edited:
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I was going to order an IMI folding stock, but it would have been less than 26" folded and my state doesn't explicitly say if they'd measure with the stock extended or folded, so I splurged on a smoke composites stock to avoid that potential headache.

Down to 4lbs 0oz with mag, optic, sling. I think I'm done unless I can easily lose one more oz without losing any function or spending a fortune.

Considering it has an M4E1 lower and I didn't go exotic with hardware, I think this is a win.View attachment 692220
That rifle looks great. That's the short 9.5" stock? Let us know how you like the stock after you've used it for a while. I've been interested in them for a long time, but have gone with cheaper options up to this point.

Last edited:

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Looks great.

I notice that your SOLO 300 appears to be a more traditional M4 upper with the required bolt handle slot. Interesting that the design has changed. I wonder what the weight is vs. the original billet-style weight.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
That rifle looks great. That's the short 9.5" stock? Let us know how you like the, stock after you've used it for a while. I've been interested in them for a long time, but have gone with cheaper options up to this point.
Hi. Thank you. I appreciate that from the guy who got me addicted to this!

Yep, it's the 9.5". I used the B5 CAR stock for a bit and ended up liking that at 9.5" so I was comfortable ordering it at that length. I got a good deal with a sale and a coupon code, but I was a little annoyed it didn't come with the carbon plate and aluminum nut that they used to. Luckily I had an aluminum nut and a setscrew for my takedown detent.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Looks great.

I notice that your SOLO 300 appears to be a more traditional M4 upper with the required bolt handle slot. Interesting that the design has changed. I wonder what the weight is vs. the original billet-style weight.
The earlier uppers were probably modified Davidson Defense billet uppers (they look like that, anyway).

The new batch appears to be something like a modified Anderson Sport upper, or something like that with no dust cover provision. I imagine it's a little lighter.

Solo is working on a dedicated upper of their own design. Should be out soon. The Red Ryder II is impatiently awaiting that release. In the meantime, I'm working on coming up with an Ultralight Ultralight (and inexpensive) handguard. Hopefully I'll switch everything over to that if it works well.

Last edited:
OP
T

Thegman

WKR

Yep, it's the 9.5". I used the B5 CAR stock for a bit and ended up liking that at 9.5" so I was comfortable ordering it at that length. I got a good deal with a sale and a coupon code, but I was a little annoyed it didn't come with the carbon plate and aluminum nut that they used to. Luckily I had an aluminum nut and a setscrew for my takedown detent.
I should probably just bite the bullet and get one...it's probably inevitable...😅

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I should probably just bite the bullet and get one...it's probably inevitable...😅
One thing I thought I'd note - there's not much room for a wrench to tighten the castle nut, especially with a wide nut like mine even without a plate. I had to basically tighten it like a pin spanner.

Taudisio

WKR

I had to add the cf plate and castle nut when I ordered my stock. My stock was dead on the weight that smoke advertised. How was your closed versions weight? What did you use for your gas block under the handguard?

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I had to add the cf plate and castle nut when I ordered my stock. My stock was dead on the weight that smoke advertised. How was your closed versions weight? What did you use for your gas block under the handguard?
I didn't weigh mine. I threw it on my powder scale but it was too heavy for the scale so I just installed it.

I tapped my gas port and put a setscrew in it then put an undersized stainless sleeve over it using a thermalfit install. I put a post on it in this thread somewhere. I'm quite happy with how I did all that.

Taudisio

WKR
I didn't weigh mine. I threw it on my powder scale but it was too heavy for the scale so I just installed it.

I tapped my gas port and put a setscrew in it then put an undersized stainless sleeve over it using a thermalfit install. I put a post on it in this thread somewhere. I'm quite happy with how I did all that.
I remember it. I just can’t keep the individual builds straight! Hahaha

180ls1

WKR
2.8lbs - I have ZERO other info or time to research at the moment but figured its worth posting.

robtattoo

WKR
2.8lbs - I have ZERO other info or time to research at the moment but figured its worth posting.

I always thought that little 5.7 would make a great little carbine round. Beautiful!

ChrisAU

WKR

Oooh I have a Silencerco Sparrow that needs something to live on and always wanted something in 5.7x28...

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
I just inquired about price and other chamberings. Will keep everyone posted.
Very interesting. If this thing comes in 5.56, or 300 Blk, or even 450 Bushmaster (subsonic only! ha), and has a decent trigger, I'm in. Futher, not having 5.56 OAL concerns would be icing on the cake (hello, 75gr+ ELMDs).

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Very interesting. If this thing comes in 5.56, or 300 Blk, or even 450 Bushmaster (subsonic only! ha), and has a decent trigger, I'm in. Futher, not having 5.56 OAL concerns would be icing on the cake (hello, 75gr+ ELMDs).
The website mentions cartridge changes with barrel/bolt head swap. Also the photos look like AR-15 barrel extension set up, though details in written words are scant other than that.