Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
This made me laugh hard. I’m picturing guys in Kuiu head to toe climbing around in the mountains. Transparent helium balloons tied off to their packs. Heck, maybe it’s a new concept for a pack accessory. Internal helium pack to fill any dead space in the pack.

You're on the right track. A bigger balloon attached to a treestand harness you're wearing actually lets you run up the mountains effortlessly with all the gear you want to carry. Works great until the wind picks up...

Chinese_surveillance_balloon_over_Billings,_MT.jpg

That "Chinese spy balloon" spotted over Montana last year? One of StupidLightweight's hunts gone awry...

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
PXL_20240406_193406423.jpg

Had to sight in again since I changed the mount for the Romeo 5. Put 5 shots into 1.35" at 100. I really can't argue with that since I can barely see the target, and I'm just trying to center the dot over the outer part of the black circle. Edit - 2628 fps average with the 77tmk with compressed varget. That'll do for my ranges.

Last edited:
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
View attachment 697403

Had to sight in again since I changed the mount for the Romeo 5. Put 5 shots into 1.35" at 100. I really can't argue with that since I can barely see the target, and I'm just trying to center the dot over the outer part of the black circle. Edit - 2628 fps average with the 77tmk with compressed varget. That'll do for my ranges.
That'll work! It would be interesting to see what difference a medium power scope might make on your group size.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder that too. Maybe sometime I'll try it with the 3-9 Leupold I have laying around in a cantilever mount. I would assume I'd would have to get below an inch with 5 shots more often than not.

Taudisio

WKR
You're on the right track. A bigger balloon attached to a treestand harness you're wearing actually lets you run up the mountains effortlessly with all the gear you want to carry. Works great until the wind picks up...

View attachment 697371

That "Chinese spy balloon" spotted over Montana last year? One of StupidLightweight's hunts gone awry...

This just popped up!!!

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
And you guys thought I was kidding!

I'm telling you, that StupidLightweight guy thinks of everything...that's got to be his YouTube channel.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone got anything else going on with these rifles? I'm jonesing for some more cool stuff and this thread really slowed down lately.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I still have the Red Ryder II sub-3lb 223 Wylde in the works, but trying to wait until I have everything ready for its final form to put it together. I have an 8.5" 1.9 oz CF handguard ready to go, working on a 4ish oz stock for it, and waiting for the new Solo uppers to build it on.

I am getting a little impatient though, and tempted to put it together in less-than-final form. Another 5" of snow here this morning, so shooting the new 300 HAM'R is still on hold as well...getting bored with my holding pattern!

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I still have the Red Ryder II sub-3lb 223 Wylde in the works, but trying to wait until I have everything ready for its final form to put it together. I have an 8.5" 1.9 oz CF handguard ready to go, working on a 4ish oz stock for it, and waiting for the new Solo uppers to build it on.

I am getting a little impatient though, and tempted to put it together in less-than-final form. Another 5" of snow here this morning, so shooting the new 300 HAM'R is still on hold as well...getting bored with my holding pattern!
What difference do you expect to see in the new uppers?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I'm not sure what all the differences will be, honestly. However, I know they're designing them as purpose built specific to a Solo build so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I'll do a detailed write-up when I get one, (hopefully as part of my best build to date!).

Taudisio

WKR
Been chasing yogi and boo boo around the woods. Nothing yet. Turkey starts Monday, so I’ll be changing pace.
Still waiting on my 6x45 barrel to get shipped. Hopefully in the next 3 weeks!

robtattoo

WKR
Well, crap.
I just picked up a used 300 Solo upper for a freaking song. I had NO intention of doing this twice. 🤦‍♂️

Anyone know where I can score a 6x45 lightweight barrel?
Any preference between 6x45 & .300blk (since I already have about a half million 110 supers loaded)

robtattoo

WKR
Alternatively, do any of you have experience with a 6 ARC or 6.5 Grendel in a straight pull?
How is extraction?
I'm not above buying a bolt head.

Taudisio

WKR
Alternatively, do any of you have experience with a 6 ARC or 6.5 Grendel in a straight pull?
How is extraction?
I'm not above buying a bolt head.

Anyone know where I can score a 6x45 lightweight barrel?
Any preference between 6x45 & .300blk (since I already have about a half million 110 supers loaded)
No, I do have a semiauto arc, much more anemic that I expected with an 18” barrel.

When my barrel arrives I’ll weigh it. Definitely not an in-expensive route with x-caliber.
I do want a 300blk just for suppressed shooting but I can’t imagine hunting with one over my 5.56 or 6x45.

A 338 razorback and spectre are both on my radar for a suppressed only ar…..

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Where'd you find the upper? Good find!

StupidLightweight is the only one I know of that ran an ARC. Extraction was apparently doable, but not easy. I tried a 30HRT and extraction was too difficult to be practical.

I might mess with that HRT again at some point to see if I can figure something out, but I'm not even sure it has enough over the HAM’R, for my purposes, to even bother.

Taudisio

WKR
I do have a question about how much everyone is torquing the barrel nuts down. With the 5.55, I torqued it, a lot, but not as much as my semi-autos with a torque wrench. I watched some of the solo videos and they basically hand tighten them and barrel swap in the field. I wouldn’t feel comfortable THAT loose. Just curious what everyone else has done.