Ultralight means getting ultra trashed.................

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
So....................as most of you here on the slide spend quite a bit of time researching gear throughout the year and beyond, I am looking for some REAL world experience on a one person tent that can withstand heavy wind and weather. I'm looking for personal experiences on being in the shit.
We had super heavy winds this year during hunting season and a big agnes copper spur 2 and a marmot tungsten UL 1 got literally TRASHED. Poles bent, fabric ripped, zippers broke, etc. Now I realize that this year was a bit extreme but we got our eyes open as to some ultralight gear has its tradeoffs. Elkhunter777 and myself are literally yelling at each other even though we are about 7 feet apart-----"Damn, we should be in a Hilleberg, " all the while holding tent poles up in order for the tents from collapsing.
So, keeping the above in mind and we are willing to pack an extra couple of pounds.....what have you all used that can withstand those conditions?? And this is strictly for backpack style assaults.

Randy

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hilleberg Soulo for one. Allak 3 for 2 men

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Obviously you'd want a 4-season tent to cover all your bases, but my BA CS UL4 has withstood some serious wind above timberline in the past. It was strong enough that I could barely stand in one spot without getting blown off my tracks.

Are you thinking more traditional, floored and free standing, or are you also looking at floorless/non-free standing? Also, what wt. is acceptable to you for a 2 person shelter?

More traditional (floored), and not too awfully heavy, I don't think you'll find a more absolute bomber tent than these. As much hype as the Hilleberg's get, none of them will touch this tent when it comes to being "bombproof", and they are much lighter and made in the good 'ol USA. Unfortunately, as light as they are on your back, they're not so light on your wallet. I got one of these Randy, and let me tell you, they DO work as intended.

Last edited:
OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Greg, yes, more of a traditional style tent. Doesn't have to be freestanding because we always stake them out anyway. On this particular trip, we had guylines out and wrapped around 40 to 50 pound rocks which were moving and we had 2mm dyneema break like spaghetti.

Randy

Check out those Warmlite's man, super customizable, and 100% made in the USA, including all sourced material. I'll say it again, they are costly, but a night spent on an exposed ridge, without a shelter (because the one you were in just got trashed), can be costly as well.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My Seek Outside Silvertip has taken 50 to 60 mph wind gusts and rain without issue using 12 tent stakes. One could add another 4 stakes for more security. Personally I don't feel those winds where stretching its capability in any way. For snow loading, I have not had more than 4 inches of snow drop while it was up, but it shed that fine. This was not supper light powder snow, but not heavy wet stuff either, it was in-between the two. Snow shoes would sink about 3-4 inches when walking in over 1 foot of fresh snow. Some floor space is lost with snow loading as the perimeter is pressed down.

Using trekking poles as the center pole, with 12 stakes, guy lines, and pole hitch it comes out to 37.6 ounces (not counting trekking poles as I would carry those anyway).

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those warmlites look interesting. I'm familiar with the hillebergs.

P.S.-----if you see a big agnes copper spur 2 in the classifieds for sale by elkhunter777............

Randy

rayporter

WKR
sounds like a story is needed!

certain things will leave an impression on ya.

once you have a tent come down you look at things different.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
sounds like a story is needed!

certain things will leave an impression on ya.

once you have a tent come down you look at things different.
Oh, we got stories alright........ even have some videos if i could figure out how to post them.
We did relocate and had a successful hunt however. Still windy as hell but found a better protected location.

Randy