Ultralight hunting: toward a coherent definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right on, and that is why you'll most likely do a very chitty job on the "backpack" portion of your hunts. But you know what? That's okay. Hikers have an expression, "Hike your own hike".

When Spec Ops guys get tasked with a mission outside their own base of knowledge and those of their peers, they seek out a subject-matter expert, typically with zero military experience, to teach them that skill or skills. I guess everyone doesn't think like that.

Backpacking is not rocket science, it's not some weird art form. You get a bag, you put shit in that bag you need, you walk around the woods.... That's about it. Wether your stuff is expensive or cheap, tech savvy or hand me downs that's pretty much it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Right on, and that is why you'll most likely do a very chitty job on the "backpack" portion of your hunts. But you know what? That's okay. Hikers have an expression, "Hike your own hike".

When Spec Ops guys get tasked with a mission outside their own base of knowledge and those of their peers, they seek out a subject-matter expert, typically with zero military experience, to teach them that skill or skills. I guess everyone doesn't think like that.

Here is what I do, I backpack in, kill animal and backpack out! If I'm to fat or the load is to heavy, I make more trips. Didn't know I needed to be a subject matter expert or need a dictionary to do that. I guess the only thing I have in common with a backpacker is a love for quality gear and gadgets, especially if they help me kill more animals.

Poser

WKR
Backpacking is not rocket science, it's not some weird art form. You get a bag, you put shit in that bag you need, you walk around the woods.... That's about it. Wether your stuff is expensive or cheap, tech savvy or hand me downs that's pretty much it.

We have now arrived at a coherent definition for Ultralight hunting: Get some shit, presumably light, and stuff it in a (presumably light) bag. If it is too heavy, take some shit out. Walk around the woods. :cool:

Take-a-knee

Banned

You are emminently qualified to be a FORSCOM Brigadier, at least, especially one that signs off on some of the chit for gear that I had to use for most of 21yr.

FreeRange

WKR
I have a hard time digesting everything Dave writes as I'm an engineer and my vocabulary falls far short of his. But I thoroughly enjoy his blog and writing, as difficult as it may be for me to get through at times.

I'll also say this, Dave gets a ton of respect from the crowd at BPL and is a great ambassador for hunting to a lot of people who don't understand what we do but who we need on our side. While we all do similar things and have similar goals and equipment needs, few of us bridge the gap so well. People like Dave give hunting a lot of validity in the eyes of the "granola" crowd and even though a picture of him grinning next to a dead deer is essentially the same as any of ours, his success stories are for some reason much less likely to draw criticism and scorn. I've experienced this first hand as some of my hunting exploits have been published on non-hunting outlets and about 50% of people jumped straight to the conclusion that I'm an ignorant redneck who hates nature.

It's probably because he is a well known character in those circles and his commitment to conservation and respect for wildlife and wild places go without saying, so when they see or hear about Dave going hunting they are forced to say, well if he hunts it can't be all bad.

So good on you Dave, keep it up, sure I'd get through your writing a little faster if it read like an instruction manual but I don't necessarily think that would make it better.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You would be wrong about Ryan and backpack hunting.

How many backpack hunts have you done out west?..... Just in case Ryan needs advice.

UPnorth

FNG
I have a hard time digesting everything Dave writes as I'm an engineer and my vocabulary falls far short of his. But I thoroughly enjoy his blog and writing, as difficult as it may be for me to get through at times.

I'll also say this, Dave gets a ton of respect from the crowd at BPL and is a great ambassador for hunting to a lot of people who don't understand what we do but who we need on our side. While we all do similar things and have similar goals and equipment needs, few of us bridge the gap so well. People like Dave give hunting a lot of validity in the eyes of the "granola" crowd and even though a picture of him grinning next to a dead deer is essentially the same as any of ours, his success stories are for some reason much less likely to draw criticism and scorn. I've experienced this first hand as some of my hunting exploits have been published on non-hunting outlets and about 50% of people jumped straight to the conclusion that I'm an ignorant redneck who hates nature.

It's probably because he is a well known character in those circles and his commitment to conservation and respect for wildlife and wild places go without saying, so when they see or hear about Dave going hunting they are forced to say, well if he hunts it can't be all bad.

So good on you Dave, keep it up, sure I'd get through your writing a little faster if it read like an instruction manual but I don't necessarily think that would make it better.

Well said.

Take-a-knee

Banned
You would be wrong about Ryan and backpack hunting.

How many backpack hunts have you done out west?..... Just in case Ryan needs advice.

Backpacking trips out west? A few. Hunts out west? Zero. But you knew that. I went on my first overnight backpacking trip 41 years ago. I've spent a "night or two" on the ground in various places, but you already knew that as well.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.

Perhaps a pertinent quote and observation, but if that concept was employed on all internet threads... for what reason would forums exist?

The first three rules of hunting are that to succeed you must kill something.... If it will help you kill your prey, it makes the cut, …

I backpack as means to kill more shit.

I’m glad you guys seem to agree on the fundamentals!

Yk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
To clarify I am not knocking on Dave C. Whatever gets you to the woods, gets you to the woods!

I always hear " I am just happy to be here. If I kill an animal, it's just a plus" I'm not in that camp! Do I love being in the woods? Yes, but not for the majestic beauty. I love being there to scout and look for animals I intend to kill and eat or kill animals that prey on the animals I intend to kill and eat. What does this have to do with ultralight gear? Nothing I guess other than the fact that either way you have to carry your gear. I am just pointing out how some love the Journey and some love the kill. I think this divided us more than some people think.

You are emminently qualified to be a FORSCOM Brigadier, at least, especially one that signs off on some of the chit for gear that I had to use for most of 21yr.

It's not tuff man, how can someone "suck" at the backpacking portion of backpack hunting?

Mil load outs and the stuff you take hunting is not really in the same category, kinda like backpack hunting and being in theater are not the same. Thanks for your service, sorry you had to carry heavy shit.

Cindy

FNG
While funny at times, I wish this thread was more serious.
I am currently getting into all this backpack hunting.

I may have a newbie approach. I am sure I do not know any of what comes with years of experience. But, I have been gearing up and considering each and every ounce in my planning.

Not because I feel the need to be as light as possible, but because I fear the inability to pack out an animal plus a bunch of heavy gear.

At the point when I harvest an animal, every pound I can cut helps. Right?

Is a light weight pack a status symbol or a functional property?

I would like to read the article, in it entirety. For my own information.
There is so much that is unknown.

I cant imagine many of us being ultralight obsessed when we are planning on carrying elk quarters on our backs.
However, being ultralight obsessed and being efficient with space will surely help in the long haul.
Even though we are planning on hauling a significant load, probably several times, at some point in our journey.

One thing I would like to point out to the author.
The idea that killing something is all that determines success. Well, that is far from the truth.
I have been doing years of preparation, scouting BigHorn sheep and Mountain Goat. With no prospect of killing an animal in sight. I do feel accomplishment in the experience of being present, in the moment, witnessing nature.
I admire the terrain and the grace of the animals without having to harvest them.
I may never draw the tag. If that happens, I will not consider my efforts a failure. Simply part of my outdoor life.

In addition, I have spent months preparing maps, planning routes, and looking into gear.
I will be making 90% of my trips before the hunting season. On these trips, I will not harvest anything.
I would hope that you would not be able to tell that I was anything but one of many backpackers on these trips.
I don't typically wear camouflage when scouting. I don't imagine I look, or feel any different from any other backpacker.

So, on the trip that I intend to harvest an animal, should I be lucky, I may be different than a traditional backpacker, but I intended that. No backpacker wants to load 70+ pounds on their back, then walk 15 miles. At that point, should I meet you on the trail, I would assume you would call me a meat hauler, as opposed to a backpacker.

I really need discussions like this. Counting ounces while internet shopping lacks experience and knowledge.
They do need to be productive discussions though.
See you on the trail.

Backpacking trips out west? A few. Hunts out west? Zero. But you knew that. I went on my first overnight backpacking trip 41 years ago. I've spent a "night or two" on the ground in various places, but you already knew that as well.

I still get a chuckle about your 24 hr post where you told the successful Alaskan sheep hunter that he had made a poor shelter choice based on your backyard sprinkler test. Rock on!

Trial153

WKR
Makes me wonder how I did all this shit 15 years ago before I realized I didn't know anything about anything. We would pack stuff, and go hunt. Wasn't light, wasn't always comfortable , but we survived and killed a bunch of game along the way. This whole thread is good reminder for me, stop over thinking and go hunt....

Take-a-knee

Banned
I still get a chuckle about your 24 hr post where you told the successful Alaskan sheep hunter that he had made a poor shelter choice based on your backyard sprinkler test. Rock on!

I'm sure folks have been on successful sheep hunts with no tent at all. You been to AK much?

DaveC

WKR

I really appreciate you saying so. A very big compliment in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.