Ultralight hunting rifle

JarrettMW

FNG
Slight correction; the long action element models are 6lbs, the short action elements are 5.5lbs. Great shooting rifle though. Even in a 300wm, very manageable recoil. Lots of retailers asking $2700 plus, but if you shop around you can find them under $2500, even under $2400.
Have you seen anywhere with them for sale by chance?

catsfan20

FNG
The new fierce carbon rogue sure seems like a decent option to fit into this niche. I have no real experience but you can get a 20” barrel and have a suppressor for under 3000.

Gutshotem

WKR
The new fierce carbon rogue sure seems like a decent option to fit into this niche. I have no real experience but you can get a 20” barrel and have a suppressor for under 3000.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I carried a 26" barrel plus a 7" can for two years in a kifaru gun bearer. Now I'm carrying a 20" barrel with the same can, honestly not that much difference. Once it's long enough to hit your hat bill, its all the same to me. Hand carrying would probably be a huge difference though.
Does a 26” barrel with a can on the end feel (while holding to shoot) unbalanced or is it not any different than the feeling of your current length setup?

id_jon

WKR
Does a 26” barrel with a can on the end feel (while holding to shoot) unbalanced or is it not any different than the feeling of your current length setup?
Shooting supported was totally fine, offhand shots were pretty tough. I think it was around 14lbs all up with a loaded mag in, I definitely don't want to go back to anything that long or heavy.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting supported was totally fine, offhand shots were pretty tough. I think it was around 14lbs all up with a loaded mag in, I definitely don't want to go back to anything that long or heavy.
Super helpful, thanks for the reply

Is a $500 can really worth having? I’ve never used one before but I assumed $1000 + not including tax stamp to get good results. As for the comment if I can afford, well I guess I can afford to spend 10s of thousands of dollars over time on one but don’t necessarily want to. I do concede the argument though, you aren’t wrong and I am thinking hard about it. I’ll use a different word then, I can’t justify spending 3k+ on a hunting rifle that I won’t shoot every year. Just wanted a ultralight for when I do draw a tag. Now if I add a suppressor can I even obtain ultralight?
I used to think the same way. Now that I have a can, I don't shoot anything without it. I now have almost every gun I own threaded. They are a gamechanger as far as recoil and noise, especially if you have a bigger caliber on a lightweight gun.

If you can afford a custom ultralight mountain rifle you can afford a suppressor!

100% worth it. SilencerCo Harvester EVO is like sub-$700 including tax stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree. A can mitigates recoil, saves your hearing, and makes for a far more pleasant time at the range. Not to mention, I’ve shot deer with other deer standing around, and sometimes they just stand there after a shot.

Reactions: HGL
A suppressor is the most under rated acc imo. I would sell rifles and other gear to afford one. I literally won’t shoot another rifle without one all my rifles are now threaded for it. I have a thunderbeast ultra 7 but a silencerco harvester is a great budget option. I wish I would’ve bought one years ago.
Nothing worse than going to a shooting range with a bunch of dudes unsuppressed.

I don't care though. Deer and bear bow ranges, 60 yards is fartherst I shot with my 45-70, and 15 yards with 30-06.

Even on longer shots, do you care about 100 fps????? You made my arguement right there to chop the barrell way down. Even when hunting longer ranges

Plus there is the theory that short barrels are stiffer, and more accurate. Don't know, just heard the theory.

But 30 fps, get out the hacksaw.
You say you only shoot deer at 15 yards with a 30-06 (I believe you said 40-50 yards in a previous post), yet you’re unwilling to consider a .308 in place of the 30-06? I have shot many deer with a Remington 742 from 50-120 yards and haven’t had one run on me. If a .308 can’t do it at that distance, it’s not the caliber’s fault.

TheGDog

WKR
BTW ended up buying the Howa SuperLite in 6.5cm for my son for this years hunting season, since we were going to be doing horrible climbs thru endless buckthorn, and didn't want him whining about the weight.

Diggin' this rifle! SOOO light! Pleasant to shoot. And dang accurate!

Only thing I don't like.. is the bolt makes a "zip" sound when racking it. My OCD showing.

But on another thread somebody else said they lightly sanded the machining marks off the surfaces of the bolt and that quieted it up. So I ordered some J-B Bore Bright Bore Finishing Compound. And will try carefully polishing it with that to improve that minor annoyance.

Other than that? the thing is great!