Ultralight hunting rifle

Firedad

FNG
Looking to build an ultralight mountain rifle in 7prc. Want to see what others had to say. Deciding between a factory seekins element, tikka semi custom build or a full custom built on a Pierce Shadow action. SS barrel preferred especially since with length and taper I can get close to CF weight. Thinking 21-22” barrel + brake.
AG, Stockys or McMillan stock with vertical style grip.

If I do a custom or semi custom it’ll be completed over time as I can afford. Factory rifle max $2500.

In my mind the carbon barrels offer the advantage of being light like a pencil barrel, but also having enough girth for good threads and shoulder for mounting suppressors.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
In my mind the carbon barrels offer the advantage of being light like a pencil barrel, but also having enough girth for good threads and shoulder for mounting suppressors.

What carbon barrel is as light as a pencil barrel?

OP
F

Firedad

FNG
I’m more interested in a SS barrel. What taper for my ultralight spec and still have a brake on it?

Dobermann

WKR
Looking to build an ultralight mountain rifle in 7prc. Want to see what others had to say. Deciding between a factory seekins element, tikka semi custom build or a full custom built on a Pierce Shadow action. SS barrel preferred especially since with length and taper I can get close to CF weight. Thinking 21-22” barrel + brake.
AG, Stockys or McMillan stock with vertical style grip.

If I do a custom or semi custom it’ll be completed over time as I can afford. Factory rifle max $2500.
What's the application?

Why "ultralight" and 7PRC? Do you expect to be as accurate with this combination as with a 9-11 lb 6.5 Creedmoor?

Is there something you think the 7PRC will do that the 6.5 Creed will not?

SwiftShot

WKR
Carbon barrels are stupid. They look cool and cost more but they aren’t lighter or more accurate than a regular barrel.
A carbon wrapped barrel of the same metal countor will be lighter at standard length. The maker can lath off more metal on the carbon barrel. It gets tricky with shorter barrels as not only do you have the carbon weight, you also have the thick end lug and larger muzzle brake. They are lighter and being thin they have less climb as they heat up. My Tika Feather weight with its pencil thin barrel starts climbing on the 4th shot. It in a 270 but my CA with a carbon in 300 RUM is fine on my 8th shot. Do you need a carbon, no, do they work yes.

SwiftShot

WKR
I would look at picking up a TIKA action, as 7 PRC is a long action so it will be perfect. Get a proof research barrel and add on a MDT HNTR 26 stock. That should be lightweight.

Tika T3 action assmbly is 1lb 12 oz, Proof Research Carbon Barrel 2lb 9 oz. MDT HNTER 26 stock, 26 oz. That is roughly a 6lb rifle.

Decker9

WKR
I went with a #1 benchmark for one of my lightweights, and much prefer it over my carbon barrelled light weight. I’m not sure about a break on the #1 though, im sure it can be done but probably won’t be to streamline.

With AG recently starting to take the web (between the trigger and mag mortise) out of their stocks because of cracking issues, I would personally steer clear of them. Seems like a Mickey Mouse way to fix a problem imo. My web recently cracked, and I can flex the crack open with not much effort. With that web totally gone now on their stocks, I can imagine a flex in the stock while firing, especially on a higher recoiling rifle. Just a thought.

OP
F

Firedad

FNG
So I got some better answers than usual. Keep ‘em coming there’s got to be a team custom out there. More SS barrel profiles that would be good for my application and come in similar weight to CF.
I like the idea of a tikka semi w/suppressor a lot and even with the QC complaints I’d even consider CA mesa and put a can on it since it’d come ready to shoot 7 prc.
Oh and I was asked what can an ultralight 7prc do that 6.5cm at 11lbs can’t? Well if you read my OP?

OP
F

Firedad

FNG
If you can afford a custom ultralight mountain rifle you can afford a suppressor!

100% worth it. SilencerCo Harvester EVO is like sub-$700 including tax stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is a $500 can really worth having? I’ve never used one before but I assumed $1000 + not including tax stamp to get good results. As for the comment if I can afford, well I guess I can afford to spend 10s of thousands of dollars over time on one but don’t necessarily want to. I do concede the argument though, you aren’t wrong and I am thinking hard about it. I’ll use a different word then, I can’t justify spending 3k+ on a hunting rifle that I won’t shoot every year. Just wanted a ultralight for when I do draw a tag. Now if I add a suppressor can I even obtain ultralight?

I don’t think $2500 would do custom like you describe.
Action $1100-$1700
Barrel $300+
Trigger $150+
Stock $600+

If you go prefit you might squeak in at that.
Then what about the brake or suppressor, scope mounts, go/no go gauge, barrel vise, ect…And the scope? Do you have a scope already, and if so what is it?

It’s hard to figure for a “factory rifle max $2500” budget.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
If you can afford a custom ultralight mountain rifle you can afford a suppressor!
I hate when people say this no matter the topic. Maybe I am spending all my money the item, and going without elsewhere.

Though in this case, maybe you are saying for budget of 2500. But for grand is it worth it? For long range shooting you might have time to just put in some ear plugs. For shorter range debateable if you have time maybe.

I just can't stomach a grand for suppressor. Maybe someday, but so many other things I would rather put that into. Though I did read in this thread about cheaper ones. I have a tipping point, and would consider cheaper.

Other reason I don't want one, is I prefer shorter barrels. So many companies doing 24 and 26 barrels on factory rifles. I'd like to go down to 20 on some. my 18" 45-70 is a nice length.

OP
F

Firedad

FNG
Yes a custom would increase cost. This doesn’t include rings or scope either. Question so far is unanswered, ultralight with a can?