Ultralight Custom Break Action Rifle

gtriple

WKR
I'm theorizing on a potential rifle that would be lighter than any bolt action or repeater AR. Is there any reason why a break action could not be designed to be even lighter than these?

khuber84

WKR
Titanium lower receiver, titanium barrel latch, steel barrel with integrated titanium Pic rail, titanium buffer tube/plastic butt stock, or smoke composites carbon butt. I do like the ar15 rear stock/grip platform as there are tons of choices and ability to make it one's own look. Break actions operate at a fair bit lower pressure than locking actions no? Safe pressure would likely be 55k psi, i know most people who are hand loading are able to go much higher than that in a bolt gun with using high quality brass. Performance may be desired unless running longer barrels or larger case capacity.

Wapiti1

WKR
You are looking for a tilting block action like found in a Blaser or Merkel. They are as strong and light as you can make an action. The tilting block is steel and the frame around it can be aluminum.

All of the other designs are heavier because they bolt under or over the backthrust centerline of the barrel. There has to be more metal added on the sidewalls to overcome the bending force.

Jeremy

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
You are looking for a tilting block action like found in a Blaser or Merkel. They are as strong and light as you can make an action. The tilting block is steel and the frame around it can be aluminum.

All of the other designs are heavier because they bolt under or over the backthrust centerline of the barrel. There has to be more metal added on the sidewalls to overcome the bending force.

Jeremy
Hmmm.. So comparing the TC Encore, Chiappa Big Badger, and the Blaser... The Chiappa and Blaser both look very similar in the action (obviously vastly different quality). Is the Chiappa a tilting block action?

To add... I'm only thinking about running a 223 Rem or 6ARC in it. I'm wondering if basing it on a Contender G2 would be the lightest possible base action.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Hmmm.. So comparing the TC Encore, Chiappa Big Badger, and the Blaser... The Chiappa and Blaser both look very similar in the action (obviously vastly different quality). Is the Chiappa a tilting block action?

To add... I'm only thinking about running a 223 Rem or 6ARC in it. I'm wondering if basing it on a Contender G2 would be the lightest possible base action.
The Chiappa is not a tilting block. It uses a bolt under the barrel for lockup.

A G2 would be one of the lighter options that is easy to get hold of. Another is the EA Brown 97D action if available. That is a small size falling block that is pretty light. Pretty much a toss up between G2 or EA Brown for weight. If you wanted the best and lightest, I'd look hard at the smallest size Hagn action.

Outside of the Merkel and Blaser, I don't know of any tilting block break actions made. You'll see some old ones occasionally, but not many.

Jeremy

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
The Chiappa is not a tilting block. It uses a bolt under the barrel for lockup.

A G2 would be one of the lighter options that is easy to get hold of. Another is the EA Brown 97D action if available. That is a small size falling block that is pretty light. Pretty much a toss up between G2 or EA Brown for weight. If you wanted the best and lightest, I'd look hard at the smallest size Hagn action.

Outside of the Merkel and Blaser, I don't know of any tilting block break actions made. You'll see some old ones occasionally, but not many.

Jeremy
Thank you. I'm thinking that the G2 would be the best place to start for a 223 Rem or 6ARC build. Now I've just got to find one.

Wapiti1

WKR
Thank you. I'm thinking that the G2 would be the best place to start for a 223 Rem or 6ARC build. Now I've just got to find one.
Find the SSK-50 flatside if you want to go Contender G2. SSK did a really good job with those and they are a step up in fit and finish from TC.

Jeremy

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find a pre-G2 Contender frame, the trigger is significantly better…and adjustable.

I used to run a couple of original Contender carbines with synthetic stocks, they were very light and compact. Used a 16” .223 to kill a lot of deer and coyotes. Then found a .30-30 AI barrel. It was awesome with 125gr NBT’s.

Bullberry used to make a 6mm Bullberry ( I thinks that’s the correct name), it was a 30-30 AI necked down. Comparable to the 6 ARC in performance.

The rimmed 30-30 case was much easier to extract than the .223.

Axlrod

WKR
Pre G2's are adjustable for creep and overtravel, but not pull weight. However, they are probably one of the best triggers on a factory gun there is.
The G2's can be made much better. I have done a few, Mike Bellm of Bellm T-C's has springs and instructions on his web site.
One of mine is a carbine in 223. Barrel is 20" from SSK. Comes threaded. I think it weighs about 5.5-6 pounds bare rifle. I can dig it out and weigh it later.

Attachments

• 223A.jpg
    223A.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 14
OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Find the SSK-50 flatside if you want to go Contender G2. SSK did a really good job with those and they are a step up in fit and finish from TC.

Jeremy
Yea I found them as I was looking for a Contender. They should be in stock within a couple of weeks and I'll for sure have one or two on order.

Geewhiz

WKR
Before I put together my cva that's the idea that I had but the little thing is far from light even though its a brake action and much shorter than a bolt rifle. Also I came to the realization that I'm never going to have an ultralight rifle beings as I never leave the pickup anymore without a bipod and a suppressor attached. In order to have an ultralight rifle you have to make significant sacrifices to save weight so you just have to find where your line is.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Before I put together my cva that's the idea that I had but the little thing is far from light even though its a brake action and much shorter than a bolt rifle. Also I came to the realization that I'm never going to have an ultralight rifle beings as I never leave the pickup anymore without a bipod and a suppressor attached. In order to have an ultralight rifle you have to make significant sacrifices to save weight so you just have to find where your line is.
I'm gonna see how light I can build one off a Contender platform. At a minimum, it'll be a fine deer rifle.

Wapiti1

WKR
My G2 weighs 5lbs 15 oz. 21" .357 Maximum barrel (TC made), walnut furniture, Nikon 2-7X32 Prostaff.

Weight could be taken from the stock, and a lighter scope could be used. Probably drop 8-9 ounces.

I could get a 6mm ARC down to 5 lbs even, I think. 18" barrel, walnut stock set, SWFA or Maven ultralight scope. Either mill pockets in the sides of the buttstock, or hollow it out. Laminate is heavier than walnut.

Jeremy

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
My G2 weighs 5lbs 15 oz. 21" .357 Maximum barrel (TC made), walnut furniture, Nikon 2-7X32 Prostaff.

Weight could be taken from the stock, and a lighter scope could be used. Probably drop 8-9 ounces.

I could get a 6mm ARC down to 5 lbs even, I think. 18" barrel, walnut stock set, SWFA or Maven ultralight scope. Either mill pockets in the sides of the buttstock, or hollow it out. Laminate is heavier than walnut.

Jeremy
I'm thinking about going with a Smoke Composites stock. And run a 0.68" taper-less or 0.75" taper-less profile barrel instead of the bull barrel that most have.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Might want to look into the new Dark Mountain Arms Stowaway, supposedly it will be offered in .223. It's a single shot bolt action, sub-3 lbs.