Ultra High Definition in rifle scopes and binoculars

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Is the term UHD (ultra high definition) important to you guys when you're thinking about purchasing a new rifle scope, bino, or spotting scope?

jzeblaz

WKR
Hi there. What does it mean? Is there an industry standard that UHD meets? Some very high-end glass doesn't both with that marketing speak, but seems to be of the highest quality.

For me, the model term just means it may be better than something else in the line, but doesn't really mean anything comparing one brand to another. I'm probably wrong though.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
All nonsense. What matters is a scope that is built well and works always.

With binos, it’s all just marketing. ED, HD, UHD, OTC, DIY, WTF. What matters is how it looks to your eye.

Last edited:

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed there's a lot of different tier levels of HD and ED and UHD glass.

What I really hate is annoyingly noticeable chromatic aberration regardless of image quality and brand and price.

I'd rather look through lower grade glass without any noticeable chromatic aberration than UHD glass with noticeably more annoying CA. Just totally kills the glassing experience for me.

My suggestion is to at least use a Kowa Genesis Prominar XD as a baseline for acceptable middle to high end glass and a ScoopX UHD as the bare minimum acceptable for the cheapest $500 models.

Kurts86

WKR
They are stupid terms made up by marketing people, not engineers. Give me a % light transmission rate and get on down the road.

fwafwow

WKR
Is the term UHD (ultra high definition) important to you guys when you're thinking about purchasing a new rifle scope, bino, or spotting scope?
No. But I am interested in what testing is done on your scopes.

Reliability is far more important to me, so no, not to me.

Make the glass good enough and put the rest of your energy into making a reliable scope. I think the market is fairly saturated with scopes that have great glass but won’t hold zero

We need more reliable scopes, should be the very most important feature

Binos I want the best optical quality I can find, far more important to me than super clear glass on a scope

Excellent optical quality on a reliable scope is certainly ideal, but reliability is top priority

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
For me
#1 reliable, won’t lose zero
#2 FFP reticle that is usable from lowest to highest mag.
#3 weight
#4 glass quality

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
The term means nothing to me.

In order of importance.
1. Reliability
2. Mil/mil and FFP
3. Reasonable magnification range (like 2.5-10x)
4. Simple and visible reticle
5. Low light performance (pretty much any 42mm or larger objective, no LPVO)
6. Illumination
7. Weight

Think NXS 2.5-10x42 with SWFA's Milquad reticle in FFP with capped windage.

Only then would UHD glass become a consideration for me.

Sled

WKR
For the general unaware public I believe it matters a lot.

For scopes, no UHD is not a thing I consider.

For binos, I want something clear wall to wall that resolves well and has excellent light transmission. It needs to have great FOV relative to its optic power.

SloppyJ

WKR
Acronyms by the manufacturer get about as much thought from me as the LBGQRSTUV crowd.

What matters if it's made well, holds zero, and functions correctly. If you can nail all of those, call it whatever you want.

Terms mean nothing. Company’s are throwing UHD on $300 binos. For scopes especially the last thing I care about is “high definition”. I hate to be a rokslide cliche but if it holds zero and dials correctly every time I’ll shoot it no matter what the label is.

Its just a marketing word to me and means nothing other than that maybe the company wants to try and say its of their highest quality. I am definitely not going to think Athalon UHD is as good as Swarovski that doesn't say UHD.

For displays UHD actually has a pixel rating as far as I know so you know UHD means something. I dont think you can get that kind of distinction with optics.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi there. What does it mean? Is there an industry standard that UHD meets? Some very high-end glass doesn't both with that marketing speak, but seems to be of the highest quality.

For me, the model term just means it may be better than something else in the line, but doesn't really mean anything comparing one brand to another. I'm probably wrong though.
Ultra High Definition (UHD) refers to an advanced optical system that offers unparalleled clarity, resolution, and detail. Think of the leap in quality when televisions upgraded from standard definition to high definition, and then to ultra high definition.

Ultra High Definition (UHD) refers to an advanced optical system that offers unparalleled clarity, resolution, and detail. Think of the leap in quality when televisions upgraded from standard definition to high definition, and then to ultra high definition.
If there's no agreed upon standard for what image quality constitutes UHD it doesn't have any real meaning. Does it have to meet some kind of objective standard, and if so what would that be? Being able to resolve to a certain point in a resolution chart? Actual measures of color fidelity and contrast?

Macintosh

WKR
Ultra high definition like these? I think stuff like this proves the people saying the phrase is utterly and totally meaningless are correct. No, I ignore it because it has no meaning whatsoever, it's clearly meaningless marketing drivel that has zero connection to quality.

Maybe you prefer these for their "best in class clarity"? After all, they have "HD" glass...??