UL/Backpack Fly Fishing Setups

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have a specific recommendation for a minimalist Tenkara setup?

I’d like to start bringing along a Tenkara on my packrafting trips, where I often find small grayling or char in headwater creeks. Ideally it would be able to fit inside the carbon shaft of a packraft paddle and be as light as possible…. Ie small size and lightweight being the priority over “fishability”.
Recommend striking up a conversation with Chris over at Tenkarabum.com - he'll dial you in. Think I've bought 5 rods from him over the years. Even a fairly long rod is likely to be under 3oz, many between one & two.

Recommend striking up a conversation with Chris over at Tenkarabum.com - he'll dial you in. Think I've bought 5 rods from him over the years. Even a fairly long rod is likely to be under 3oz, many between one & two.
I was going to recommend tenkarabum as well, there is a wealth of information on his site. That being said it looks like he has no inventory in keiryu or tenkara rods.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I did the same thing, went to his site and found no inventory- either a really good year or tough to get rods????

^ I did the same thing, went to his site and found no inventory- either a really good year or tough to get rods????
Hopefully it's one of those two options. With tenkara becoming more mainstream, and more importers jumping in I hope he isn't getting out of the buisness. He was one of the pioneers.

Flyrodr

FNG
Well, it's not the best solution, but it might be the lightest. I used to take a few feet of a worn fly line (taper isn't really an issue in this case), a few feet of tippet, and a Sucrets box with a few flies in it. (OK, I have been known to take a few hooks and split shot in it too.)

If a fishing opportunity arose, I'd cut off a "whippy" green sorta straight limb, tie some line and leader on it, and have it it. Of course, this was in the southeastern US, where small streams and lots of vegetation abound. But it was sort of on-the-fly (Lord, I apologize) Tenkara fishing.

Normally, though, if I was backpacking and was pretty sure I'd be fishing, I'd carry a multi-piece rod (four or more pieces), in the lightest tubing material I could find, and lash it onto my pack (or stuff it inside). I'd take the lightest reel I had (no shopping for a new super light reel), and a lightweight box with 2-3 dozen dries, nymphs and streamers in it. Didn't take nippers, fly flotant, net, etc.

Mostly, though, I take way too much stuff, because I'm so used to, well, fishing with my loaded vest. It's equipped for most any fly fishing situation, and, probably, a night in the woods, minor first aid treatment, maybe even minor car repair.

pirogue

WKR
I’ll make sure and delete the Tenkara off my list to consider. Don’t won’t to be associated with the rainbow 6.5 C crowd.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well, it's not the best solution, but it might be the lightest. I used to take a few feet of a worn fly line (taper isn't really an issue in this case), a few feet of tippet, and a Sucrets box with a few flies in it. (OK, I have been known to take a few hooks and split shot in it too.)

If a fishing opportunity arose, I'd cut off a "whippy" green sorta straight limb, tie some line and leader on it, and have it it. Of course, this was in the southeastern US, where small streams and lots of vegetation abound. But it was sort of on-the-fly (Lord, I apologize) Tenkara fishing.

Normally, though, if I was backpacking and was pretty sure I'd be fishing, I'd carry a multi-piece rod (four or more pieces), in the lightest tubing material I could find, and lash it onto my pack (or stuff it inside). I'd take the lightest reel I had (no shopping for a new super light reel), and a lightweight box with 2-3 dozen dries, nymphs and streamers in it. Didn't take nippers, fly flotant, net, etc.

Mostly, though, I take way too much stuff, because I'm so used to, well, fishing with my loaded vest. It's equipped for most any fly fishing situation, and, probably, a night in the woods, minor first aid treatment, maybe even minor car repair.
I saw a movies awhile back where a dude was on a solo float trip in Alaska for 5-6 weeks. He used the pole from his tent as a pole.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Back in the 80's I had a buddy show me how to hand fish for Brookies up in the high country. I thought he was crazy, until he started throwing fish onto the bank. Then I tried it. It actually works. About 99% of my fly fishing is all about the fun and I release everything. But Brookies cooked up on a stream bank at 10k+ feet doesn't get much better.