two miles and 3000 ft of gain in under 30 minutes ???

romaknows

FNG
Had a guy tell me this on another forum , I just find it hard to believe .

He said he could do this off trail in hunting country, I must really be slow.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
He would have to be on a very fast horse, or he had no pack, a well established trail and in extremely excellent shape.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, I just did 2200 in a mile (on a giant railroad tie staircase more or less) w about 30 pounds and it took about 50 minutes...I felt like I was really getting after it! Maybe I am just slow, but that guys a beast if he can do that...

OR Archer

WKR
Yeah Id call BS. Our local hill, Mt Pisgah, is 1.4 miles and a little over 1000 ft gain. I consider anything under 20 minutes to the top a pretty good pace. To do that you have to run/hike without stopping. Cam Hane's best time running that hill is just over 15 minutes and everyone knows he can run hills pretty damn good.

7mag.

WKR
This is funny. I had a response all types up for that guy on the other forum, but decided that sinking to his level and arguing over an obvious fabrication wouldn't be productive for any body.

3000 feet in 2 miles is extremely steep, and to do it in 30 minutes, you would have to run. He said he did it with a full pack too.

Shrek

WKR
If it is the post I'm thinking of then it was a good story and I didn't hold it to any standard other than a story. Antlers get bigger , hikes farther , shots farther , and mountains taller in the telling of many stories. Doesn't make them less fun to read and sometimes more fun.

It's highly unlikely you read the post Shrek, it was a Washington hunting forum, though your sentiments are correct.

I never doubt what someone says until I see them try. But when he added "even with a pack" and. "Barely break a sweat" I just nodded my internet head and smiled...

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
Not very Likely, Even if it was a grass hill that started at sea level. I can do about 4,000 in 2.5-3 hours going from 7,000 to 11,000 in hunting mode. And that is really getting after it climbing in the dark until about 10k then slowing way down, because we are hunting.

Ask him what the slope angle is and what the altitude is?

InDeep

WKR
1.4 1016 gain is pretty hard to get under 16:00 and in my experiance locally is a good above average pace . The unofficial recourd by ex olyimpian / oregon track and cross country star-- alabert salozar on pisgha here locally is 13:47 and he is a about as good as they get .. And we're at sea level or slightly above it..Max King who is a current runner has a time posted on broken top here in the cascades off 3400 2.3 miles in 39:00 and some change and he is a beast with records all over the US ..So I say he is a little full of chit! And if he is a member here and can do that i'll pay his gas just to see it lol

Grundy53

WKR
It's highly unlikely you read the post Shrek, it was a Washington hunting forum, though your sentiments are correct.

I never doubt what someone says until I see them try. But when he added "even with a pack" and. "Barely break a sweat" I just nodded my internet head and smiled...

I must have missed that one. What is the title of the thread?