Turret is Level but Reticle is Canted. Level Turret or Reticle?

amassi

WKR
Every scope has a tolerance, but if it's off more than ~1 degree, I'd send it back.

The turret is going to physically drive the internals up and down. If the reticle is not true to the turret, the internals will be driven off line. For example, if the reticle is canted to the right relative to the turrets, dialing for impact "up" will drive impact up and left. Dialing right will move impact up and right.

If it's obviously canted (5 degrees+) I'd send it back just so that my turrets don't look bad on my rifle.
1*? What bubble level is accurate to less than 1* and who can hold that level of precision in field conditions?

OP
General RE LEE
So got back from my hunting trip and lined up reticle with a plumb line. My reticle is slightly canted and I mean slightly.

I will do a scope tracking test in near future and post results.

OP
General RE LEE
Sure, but then when you dial you’re introducing error. OR you rotate the scope to track vertically, and you’d have error associated with holds (this is the better option for most).

Some graphics in this article if you’re still not understanding.

Good article. I have a MOA scope tracking test target. I’m going to see if it tracks straight up and down.

amassi

WKR
You think this is something you're checking on a bubble level? Lol
Maybe the level on the scope or rifle while shooting 🤡
The point was and is noone can hold 1* of level with a rifle in field conditions. Sending a cope back under warranty for 1* is asinine

rayporter

WKR
i have levels and i dont think i can resolve a degree or two.

which is the reason to make the x hair vertical before tracking up a plumb line.

Maybe the level on the scope or rifle while shooting 🤡
The point was and is noone can hold 1* of level with a rifle in field conditions. Sending a cope back under warranty for 1* is asinine

When shooting, you're checking that the scope is level to the ground, not whether the reticle is level to the scope. The Sine of 1 degree for a 1 meter long hypotenuse is about 1.75 cm, so it's going to be measurable/noticeable using a plumline. 5 degrees will be about 8.71 cm.

What you as a shooter can hold "under field conditions" is irrelevant, especially when you start talking about holds for distance. The 83" hold for a 6.5 CM at 600 yds would be off 2.9" of windage for a 2 degree error, or about as much as blowing your windcall by a few mph. If his is visibly canted to the point where he doesn't need to use trigonometry to determine whether it's canted or not he should send in the scope.

amassi

WKR
When shooting, you're checking that the scope is level to the ground, not whether the reticle is level to the scope. The Sine of 1 degree for a 1 meter long hypotenuse is about 1.75 cm, so it's going to be measurable/noticeable using a plumline. 5 degrees will be about 8.71 cm.

What you as a shooter can hold "under field conditions" is irrelevant, especially when you start talking about holds for distance. The 83" hold for a 6.5 CM at 600 yds would be off 2.9" of windage for a 2 degree error, or about as much as blowing your windcall by a few mph. If his is visibly canted to the point where he doesn't need to use trigonometry to determine whether it's canted or not he should send in the scope.
No to everything you said. Just no.

amassi

WKR
Sendit level is +/-0.1*.

The only reason someone wouldn’t be able to stay plumb/level during a shot is if they have a medical condition.

Neither has a bearing on whether or not a scope should function properly.
Nope wrong again.
I guarantee there isn't a human Alive that can discern the accuracy of a bubble level to 1/10th of a degree and maintain that in field conditions
Maybe a 30# prs rig plated to a #15 tripod.

Also this isn't about a scope functioning properly the op didn't test the scope for function did he?

He checked that the scope was "level" with a bubble level- probably not a $200 electric one either, off of a turret cap. bet you a dollar it was a magnetic one from a wheeler scope mounting kit. The same one he used to level the action. Again s.w.a.g he doesn't have the tools to check that the action or rails or whatever are level.

You make 10 perfectly plumb and level shots in field positions, break position every shot on a shot timer and I'll pay for your ammo and time filming it.