Turret is Level but Reticle is Canted. Level Turret or Reticle?

I removed the turret dial and confirmed my turret is level by placing a level on the turret base. It appears my reticle is canted a couple degrees from the factory.

Should I:

Keep it as is since the turret is level and cant the rifle or…

Level the reticle to a level rifle but the turret will be off a few degrees?

I’m confused lol

Leupold or Zeiss (or other)? Brand new scope or one you have used for a while? Anywho...you could always set a plumb line with a piece of string or similar and level the reticle on that. Of course, there is always the possibility it will cant further but at least if you know the reticle was level and you set witness marks so you know your scope didn't move you can monitor it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The reticle needs to be straight. Though, I would question a scope with that issue, especially if you will dial.

BjornF16

WKR
If “a couple of degrees” is 2°, then that is within spec of many scope resellers.

If you’re going to dial for elevation, then level it wherever the reticle tracks true (and accept the slight reticle cant).

If you’re going to hold for elevation, then level reticle to a plumb line.

If I’m reading this right, you are comparing reticle to a physical portion of the turret you twist not reticle to tracking when elevation is dialed? As long as your dialing adjustments track plumb with your reticle, why would it matter if the turret base (what is that?) is 2 degrees off?

OP
General RE LEE
When reticle is level the turret post is off a couple degrees. I guess the only way to test is a turret tracking test.

When reticle is level the turret post is off a couple degrees. I guess the only way to test is a turret tracking test.
I assume you are placing a level on top of the turret. Many times the top of the turret isn’t machined level from the factory.

Level the reticle and tall target test it.
Just curious what scope are you using?

huntnful

WKR
So basically line the reticle up with plum bob since your turret it off a little. Once the reticle is exactly in line with the string line. Twist ‘er up a few hundred clicks and make sure its tracking the string.

But also, I’ve never seen a reticle a few degrees off from the turret either.

OP
General RE LEE
I assume you are placing a level on top of the turret. Many times the top of the turret isn’t machined level from the factory.

Level the reticle and tall target test it.
Just curious what scope are you using?

No I removed the turret dial and placed level directly on base

ETtikka

WKR
I have noticed the same issue with a few Leupold scopes , I assumed it was a good spot to check level also, but apparently not, I use a rock on a string or set up a 2x4 perfectly level 100 yds away instead

I had a Leupold fixed 2.5x like this once. 2 degrees turned into 5 degrees. I sent it back for a warranty repair and then sold it.

Since scopes aren't designed to be off like that, it would concern me that that the scope was not manufactured correctly. I'd send it back.

I had this same issue with a Vortex Viper HST. Usually mount my own scopes but let the gun shop mount it when I picked up my new .300 wby. Sent the scope back to Vortex and it turned out the rings were way over torqued causing the reticle to be off. They repaired it under warranty and I properly torqued it and everything is level again and shoots great.

Every scope has a tolerance, but if it's off more than ~1 degree, I'd send it back.

The turret is going to physically drive the internals up and down. If the reticle is not true to the turret, the internals will be driven off line. For example, if the reticle is canted to the right relative to the turrets, dialing for impact "up" will drive impact up and left. Dialing right will move impact up and right.

If it's obviously canted (5 degrees+) I'd send it back just so that my turrets don't look bad on my rifle.