Turn in your hunting buddy?

I wouldn't turn my friends in for chit. I would tell them they should report it them selves. If they dont then I probably won't hunt with them again. I would expect the same from them. All depending on the circumstance of course. I may have or may not have put a hen mallard to my limit before if some one did or didnt do an oops.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JjamesIII

WKR
No way would I go “Karen” on a buddy and narc. If it was an issue, he and I would have a discussion and I’d make a decision whether to hunt with him again, or not. I sure wouldn’t participate in what he was doing, I’d wash my hands of any involvement.

No one turns in their buddy for a technical game violation which was probably the result of a mistake or a lack of good judgement. I've seen it happen more than once over the years.
A perfect example would be when my buddy was picking up downed geese after a big volley of shots. Some of the geese were hit but not dead. As the dead geese were retrieved it was apparent that the daily limit was reached. One remaining bird was swimming but couldn't fly. My buddy said its unethical to leave the cripple in the water and it was killed and reduced to the harvest.

Should I have called the DEC and turned the guy in?

11boo

WKR
A guy I used to hunt with was going to get me in that exact situation.

He did me a great service by getting caught on a solo hunt. He had a bull tag, and shot a cow.
On his brothers tag, who was already back in Michigan lol.
He is still suspended from hunting.

A guy I used to hunt with was going to get me in that exact situation.

He did me a great service by getting caught on a solo hunt. He had a bull tag, and shot a cow.
On his brothers tag, who was already back in Michigan lol.
He is still suspended from hunting.
That is a rather serious game violation that shouldn't happen. I don't hunt with people who pull crap like that and wouldn't feel bad if they get caught, if they ever did. However, I wouldn't be the one speed-dialing the authorities. I'd just make sure I never hunted with him again. That's just me.

Rich M

WKR
No one turns in their buddy for a technical game violation which was probably the result of a mistake or a lack of good judgement. I've seen it happen more than once over the years.
A perfect example would be when my buddy was picking up downed geese after a big volley of shots. Some of the geese were hit but not dead. As the dead geese were retrieved it was apparent that the daily limit was reached. One remaining bird was swimming but couldn't fly. My buddy said its unethical to leave the cripple in the water and it was killed and reduced to the harvest.

Should I have called the DEC and turned the guy in?
Some would have, sad to say. I would not.

But ethics aside, he made the decision to risk a ticket over a bird. Have seen a lot of folks face the morality of it all when picking up the decoys and there is this dead duck laying there that no-one supposedly shot.

I once picked up a shopping bag full of empties while hunting at a refuge. GW told me he’d cite me for having too many shells if i did it again. Showed me the LEO mentality.

In your example, id let that goose swim every time. Not gonna face LEO and hope he’s gonna say “you did the right thing”. LOL!

By turning in that guy, everyone else gets scrutinized by some guy looking to find every little violation cause someone was reported and there is now a probable cause. The guys where i hunt call at every opportunity and then bitch that they get cavity searched same as the guy they called on.

We have a 25 shell limit and if you have an extra box in your truck…LoL! You get a ticket for calling on some dude for a perceived violation. Havent been able to get them to see the light yet. Duh, hello.

Yeah, its not an elk. Just overzealous guys creating issues.

TSAMP

WKR
I often times beep my dogs e collar when he shoots under fences while we hunt. I even go as far as to call him a trespasser loudly. This seems sufficient to me and I still hunt with him.

I feel like ethically I am superior, he however is questionable as he repeats this often and I can see that many of you would not find his company agreeable in camp.

Redwood

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't report him for driving around the gate. When I catch up to him on foot he's going to have flat tires and will be walking out.

UltimatoHombre

FNG
Classified Approved
This is about the dumbest and funniest thread on this forum. If you call him a buddy, talk it out and fix it on the spot, dont turn him in. If he f*cks a bear still wouldnt turn him in...might tell him to hunt solo going forward. All you tattletails not getting attention is sad. I ate roadkill back in the day cause I was hungry and needed energy, sure there is a law against it

Would you turn in your hunting buddy for a game/forest violation?

Let’s say you and your buddy are on a 8 day elk hunt.
You each went your own way for the day and that evening you found out your buddy broke the law…. Doesn’t matter how big or small, definitely broke the law.

You making the call to law enforcement?

Now, before the ‘Do-Gooders’ say you know your buddy really well and either one wouldn’t break the law, we all know ‘shit happens’.

Whatcha gonna do?

Not a chance. I’ll point it out to him(my buddy) though

KHNC

WKR
This post made me think of that book and I thought about referencing it, but I didn't think anyone would get the reference.
Read it the first time in middle school. Then again 7-8 years ago. Still a classic. Michael Douglas made a movie based on the book. But he didnt do a good job on it.

Here is another true scenario that was revealed to me by a buddy.

My buddy and another guy fly to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. They have an outfitter and a guide. My buddy shoots an antelope on the 2nd or 3rd day. On the following day, they encounter a pair of antelope up on a ridge. The guide suggests climbing the back of the ridge to get closer while remaining undetected. Everything goes as planned and the guy gets the shot at the buck antelope. The animal drops but almost immediately they see that the bullet apparently exited the antelope and hit the doe behind it. They only have a single buck tag. Not knowing what to do, the guide actually tells them to toss the legal buck into the pickup and leaves the second animal laying there dead.

Who's at fault? Is the shooter guilty of a game law violation for taking a second animal without a tag? Should my buddy have turned his friend in? Is the guide or outfitter guilty of a violation?

Sometimes things aren't cut & dry.

Absolutely depends on how big or small the infraction, how good a buddy, his explanation for the infraction. Way too many variables to make a blanket call.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Here is another true scenario that was revealed to me by a buddy.

My buddy and another guy fly to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. They have an outfitter and a guide. My buddy shoots an antelope on the 2nd or 3rd day. On the following day, they encounter a pair of antelope up on a ridge. The guide suggests climbing the back of the ridge to get closer while remaining undetected. Everything goes as planned and the guy gets the shot at the buck antelope. The animal drops but almost immediately they see that the bullet apparently exited the antelope and hit the doe behind it. They only have a single buck tag. Not knowing what to do, the guide actually tells them to toss the legal buck into the pickup and leaves the second animal laying there dead.

Who's at fault? Is the shooter guilty of a game law violation for taking a second animal without a tag? Should my buddy have turned his friend in? Is the guide or outfitter guilty of a violation?

Sometimes things aren't cut & dry.
I take it the doe was blocked by the buck and nobody was aware it was there. Why else would he shoot??? If that's the case, I can't see where anyone is at fault. If guide was well known to the area and local wardens I would think he should have reported it as an honest mistake. You not being there, did you get info. from your friend as to how it went down.

I take it the doe was blocked by the buck and nobody was aware it was there. Why else would he shoot??? If that's the case, I can't see where anyone is at fault. If guide was well known to the area and local wardens I would think he should have reported it as an honest mistake. You not being there, did you get info. from your friend as to how it went down.
Buddy relayed the story to me. He wasn't close enough to see exactly how the animals were positioned. He was regretful about how the doe was left behind but didn't know what to do at the time. The guide apparently didn't know what to do under the circumstances either.