Turkey/Coyote Scattergun recommendations

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I started looking at 12 gauge inertia semi auto shotguns for turkey/coyote hunting and wondered what everyone who uses a shotgun for either or both would recommend. My budget is under $1k. I’ve compared Franchi and Stoeger side by side, but can’t really see what the major differences are between the two just from holding them next to each other. The Weatherby and CZ semi autos seem pretty good too for the money. Any brand/model I should avoid due to unreliability/mechanical issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grape

FNG
The Franchi affinity 3 or 3.5 gets my vote. There's a video out there with a guy putting numerous shotguns through some unrealistically harsh conditions and the franchi was the only inertia gun that passed the test. I'll post it up when I find it. That will be my next 12 gauge. I've used the benelli m2, sbe2, sbe3 with no issues as well. One of the things with inertia guns is needing to be shouldered tightly so the inertia can act efficiently enough to cycle the rounds. I usually have no issues, but when I used the sbe2 new I would occasionally have rounds not cycle when I was swinging on things without proper form. That said, the franchi apparently can consistently cycle even if you shoot it one handed.

The Franchi series affinity is a great choice, and I would also consider a Beretta A300 if you were going to consider a gas system

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
The Franchi affinity 3 or 3.5 gets my vote. There's a video out there with a guy putting numerous shotguns through some unrealistically harsh conditions and the franchi was the only inertia gun that passed the test. I'll post it up when I find it. That will be my next 12 gauge. I've used the benelli m2, sbe2, sbe3 with no issues as well. One of the things with inertia guns is needing to be shouldered tightly so the inertia can act efficiently enough to cycle the rounds. I usually have no issues, but when I used the sbe2 new I would occasionally have rounds not cycle when I was swinging on things without proper form. That said, the franchi apparently can consistently cycle even if you shoot it one handed.

I found a franchi affinity 3 at my local sporting goods store with a price tag of $659 and asked if that was correct. The guy at the counter about spit his coffee out when I showed him the price tag. He corrected it to $1,050. I’d have bought it right there if that was the actual price! The franchi shouldered really well for me though and alignment was nice looking down the bore. I wasn’t super excited about the price tag though. Also, I’m not sure I’m all about the 28” barrels on most of the shotguns out there. Sure, they’re nice for swinging on clays and upland birds but a 24” or at most 26” would be more ideal for what I want to use it for. I don’t hunt waterfowl at all and have zero plans to. At best, I’d use it to shoot some clays with buddies.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
The Franchi series affinity is a great choice, and I would also consider a Beretta A300 if you were going to consider a gas system

I saw those and read some good reviews about them. The only reason I’m interested in inertia semis is less maintenance. Definitely see the upside to gas guns though. I haven’t found a beretta at any of the gun shops yet, but I’d be interested to check one out.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
After more searching and reviewing, I’m going to get the black synthetic franchi affinity 3 with a 26” barrel. I wish other shotgun manufacturers would get on board with how Mossberg is making their 940 line optic ready with the precut receiver for mini red dot sights. That was something that really caught my eye. I’m sure in the next few years more manufacturers will follow suit. Appreciate the input everyone!

After more searching and reviewing, I’m going to get the black synthetic franchi affinity 3 with a 26” barrel. I wish other shotgun manufacturers would get on board with how Mossberg is making their 940 line optic ready with the precut receiver for mini red dot sights. That was something that really caught my eye. I’m sure in the next few years more manufacturers will follow suit. Appreciate the input everyone!

If you’re looking for a low profile mount, this could be a good option for you. I’ve been using it for the last two seasons and my turkey shotgun had a pic rail, that I removed to get my red dot lower. Works like a champ and for $50, it’s a great deal and looks clean. Good luck!

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re looking for a low profile mount, this could be a good option for you. I’ve been using it for the last two seasons and my turkey shotgun had a pic rail, that I removed to get my red dot lower. Works like a champ and for $50, it’s a great deal and looks clean. Good luck!

Appreciate that! I saw one low profile red dot mount that mounts on the receiver and looks awesome, but costs $150. I like that option much more.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I started looking at 12 gauge inertia semi auto shotguns for turkey/coyote hunting and wondered what everyone who uses a shotgun for either or both would recommend. My budget is under $1k. I’ve compared Franchi and Stoeger side by side, but can’t really see what the major differences are between the two just from holding them next to each other. The Weatherby and CZ semi autos seem pretty good too for the money. Any brand/model I should avoid due to unreliability/mechanical issues?

What’s making you want inertia driven? The Winchester sx4 is a really great gas option, it varies from
700-1000 depending on what finish you get and they also have a 3.5in chamber option. It is fairly light and it points really well.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I pulled the trigger on a used franchi affinity 3.5” with the 26” barrel. They wanted $700 for it and based on the fact that it had no scratches/rub marks and the inside of the action still was black and had no polishing from a lot of use, I’d say I was getting a good deal. Excited to use it!