NEED a New Semi Auto 12 Gauge

nobody

WKR
Wanting a new shotgun. Been shooting the one my dad bought me for 18 years, a Stoeger pump, and it’s just time to move up in the world a little bit I’ve decided. Budget is <$1k, as we are funneling all extra cash to fertility treatments right now, but I’ve been given the “go ahead” for a new shotgun.

Requirements are 12 gauge, semi auto, preferably 3.5” chamber (though not required, I’ve fired exactly one 3.5” shell in my entire life). Other than that I’m pretty open. Been doing some reading and like what I see about the Winchester SX4 and Mossberg 940 Pro. Any recommendations?

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I don't reckon I'll ever fire another 3.5" 12ga shell again on purpose. Not a glutton for punishment.

This being said, the Benelli Montefeltro is close to your price and is a really nice shotgun. In this particular gun I prefer walnut over synthetic. I have owned a Browning Silver and it was solid gas gun. The Beretta A400 is a sweet shooter, but you'd have to buy a used one to get to the $1k mark. The Beretta A300 is in your price range and a decent gun. Franchi Affinity is a step up from the Stoeger and people seem to like them. The SX4 is certainly a solid consideration. I have never shot one but they review well.

If I were in the market personally, I would go Benelli or Franchi for an inertia gun. Gas operated would be Beretta, Browning, or the Winchester in that order.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
go shoulder the brands cuttingedge said. Ford vs Chevy. They are all great shotguns, you're lucky you don't have any brand loyalty so you can pick what fits you the best

learl

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been very happy with my Affinity 3. Definitely not as pleasant to shoot multiple rounds of trap/skeet with as my 1100 but in hunting scenarios it doesn’t bother me.

I second the above about shouldering them, I instantly disliked the a300 ultima due to the forend and trigger feel.

SX4 would definitely do you well.
No need for a 3.5" chamber.
There are lots of other good guns in this price range - Affinity, Retay, A300, Weatherbys

It's largely personal preference on how the gun fits YOU. Go shoulder a bunch and one will stand out

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I don't reckon I'll ever fire another 3.5" 12ga shell again on purpose. Not a glutton for punishment.

This being said, the Benelli Montefeltro is close to your price and is a really nice shotgun. In this particular gun I prefer walnut over synthetic. I have owned a Browning Silver and it was solid gas gun. The Beretta A400 is a sweet shooter, but you'd have to buy a used one to get to the $1k mark. The Beretta A300 is in your price range and a decent gun. Franchi Affinity is a step up from the Stoeger and people seem to like them. The SX4 is certainly a solid consideration. I have never shot one but they review well.

If I were in the market personally, I would go Benelli or Franchi for an inertia gun. Gas operated would be Beretta, Browning, or the Winchester in that order.
This is helpful, thank you! And amen on the 3.5” shell comment, such a non-necessity with today’s modern ammo I feel.

I handled an A300 yesterday, liked the feel, but I’ve read about trigger failures and issues. Any insight if this is still the case? I don’t want to end up dealing with Beretta’s CS if I can help it haha

I was looking at the Browning Silver, any additional insight you can offer?

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I’ve been very happy with my Affinity 3. Definitely not as pleasant to shoot multiple rounds of trap/skeet with as my 1100 but in hunting scenarios it doesn’t bother me.

I second the above about shouldering them, I instantly disliked the a300 ultima due to the forend and trigger feel.
Forgot about the Franchi Affinity. We sold a boatload of them when I worked at Sportsmans and I always liked them, I better add it to the list

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the Fabarm guns. Excellent craftsmanship and customer service that`s second to none.

geterdone

FNG
Another vote for an SX4, I am on my 3rd season with mine and it's been flawless.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

OP
N

nobody

WKR
At this point I’ve handled everything on my list quite a bit: the Mossberg 940, Winchester SX4, Franchi Affinity, and the Beretta A300. 4 years at Sportsmans allowed me the opportunity to get a feel for what I do like and what does fit. I’m largely concerned now with mechanical reliability and felt recoil. Can anybody speak to any NEGATIVES regarding those two items for the 4 guns I’ve listed?

Which is more important? Reliability or felt recoil? The inertia system in the franchi is the same as benelli and will be the most reliable.

At this point I’ve handled everything on my list quite a bit: the Mossberg 940, Winchester SX4, Franchi Affinity, and the Beretta A300. 4 years at Sportsmans allowed me the opportunity to get a feel for what I do like and what does fit. I’m largely concerned now with mechanical reliability and felt recoil. Can anybody speak to any NEGATIVES regarding those two items for the 4 guns I’ve listed?
I guess one negative that can possibly happen with the Franchi or any inertia gun is the infamous "benelli click" from the bolt not traveling all the home. Other than that I've always been a fan of the Affinity.
Don't own one but a good friend does and I always pick it and shoot a few rounds of skeet with it when we shoot.

My vote goes to the Affinity or Sx4.

If you wanted to add a couple others in the mix I'd look at the Weatherby element and the CZ 1012. I've got an element 20ga and really like it. Not enough to ditch my SX2 for a 12ga model but then again I will never get rid of my X2, by far my favorite shotgun I've ever owned.

axeforce6

WKR
I have a couple SX4’s. They have been great shotguns. Both are 3.5 guns and would buy them again. One is my turkey gun and the other is my waterfowler.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Which is more important? Reliability or felt recoil? The inertia system in the franchi is the same as benelli and will be the most reliable.
Reliability is number 1, felt recoil/ability to stay on target and get off a quick follow up is number 2.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I guess one negative that can possibly happen with the Franchi or any inertia gun is the infamous "benelli click" from the bolt not traveling all the home. Other than that I've always been a fan of the Affinity.
Don't own one but a good friend does and I always pick it and shoot a few rounds of skeet with it when we shoot.

My vote goes to the Affinity or Sx4.

If you wanted to add a couple others in the mix I'd look at the Weatherby element and the CZ 1012. I've got an element 20ga and really like it. Not enough to ditch my SX2 for a 12ga model but then again I will never get rid of my X2, by far my favorite shotgun I've ever owned.
I have a couple SX4’s. They have been great shotguns. Both are 3.5 guns and would buy them again. One is my turkey gun and the other is my waterfowler.
Love hearing about the SX4’s. They originally weren’t on my radar until yesterday but I’m reading more and more that I like.

Reliability is number 1, felt recoil/ability to stay on target and get off a quick follow up is number 2.
I'd definitely go gas gun and shoot 3" with that criteria. Even though my gun is a 3.5" I couldn't tell you the last time I shot any 3.5" shells.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the SX4 but if you can find a nice used SX2 or browning gold I think you would be incredibly happy.