Tundra trekking poles - which feet?

TX338

FNG
Which trekking pole feet/baskets work best in the Brooks Range tundra?

Rubber feet, small mud baskets, large snow baskets?

Headed up for an early September fly in hunt, 1st timer…trying to get things dialed in.

Thanks

Doesn’t matter - Tundra is brutal on trekking poles. I broke both poles on my moose hunt a couple years ago.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
Small or large baskets both much better than no baskets. Bring an extra set for your group. You'll end up breaking at least one pole. We did on our last two caribou hunts in Units 23 and 26.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Small baskets about 1.5" diameter are my preference as they won't get hung up on vegetation, but prevent poles from punching through muskeg and soft tundra. Larger baskets will also collect and fling a lit of mud.

Get poles with the largest diameter shaft possible to prevent bending; stiffness of a cylinder increases by a factor of diameter squared. I like lower sections made of 7000 series aluminum which is very stiff. Upper can be carbon as that is rarely the section that breaks. Get poles that extend longer than you need to maximize overlap of sections when adjusted to your preferred length. Avoid twist-lock style connectors which can be finicky.

Lastly, don't use wrist straps when going downhill so you can let go of a pole when it gets stuck, rather than folding it in half with your momentum. Ask me how I know...

I use relatively cheap $100 Komperdel aluminum 3 section hiking poles that have held up well in Alaskas terrain. Previously tried some spendy Leki poles and found them to be too flimsy.

crich

WKR
X2 on extras. Last year I had to wrap 550 cord and tape it to help prevent my poles from punching 18 inches into the tundra after I lost my tips. Tried a flat rock on the bottom with gorilla tape to make a foot that was a horrible idea.