Tundra cam tower leak

ODB

WKR
Any of you fellas had the tundra cam tower leak issue? Mine at 20K miles has been dripping (not seeping or sweating) oil onto the heat shield and stinking up the place. Toyota is fixing it, but it will be another week or so until it's done.

Just curious to hear from guys who have had it done - it's a hell of a disassembly to fix it. Post-fix experience appreciated too.

Tmac

WKR
Mine is fine so far, but I know of a couple others that had it done. Make sure they apply the new sealant to both sides, even if one side is not leaking yet.

matthewmt

WKR
My 2012 tundra had that going on and our 2012 gx460 as well. I think it's a common thing amongst those v8s.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Flyjunky

WKR
I had mine leak a few years ago. I had them do both, just because, and things have been fine since then.

Duh

WKR
Have a slight leak in my 2018 with 88k miles. How much did it cost for you guys to get it fixed?

Flyjunky

WKR
I can’t remember because I had other stuff done as well since they had it ripped apart. It’s not cheap though. I think it’s something like a 7-8 hour job.

Reactions: Duh
OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
2014 with 151k and no leaks so far. But as a mechanic for over 20 years…..no manufacturer is immune from issues.

I have not been able to read a definitive answer as to what the real problem is on these leaks? I've read bad sealant, improper machining, design flaw? It seems odd that what seems to be, for the most part, resealing the top end does work, but what about the other stuff? Heard anything?

Tmac

WKR
I have not been able to read a definitive answer as to what the real problem is on these leaks? I've read bad sealant, improper machining, design flaw? It seems odd that what seems to be, for the most part, resealing the top end does work, but what about the other stuff? Heard anything?
My understanding is the sealant is applied by a robot and sometimes it does not use enough. Calibration issue? Not sure.

I do know folks that have just let it leak and drive it if it’s not too severe of a leak.

Reactions: ODB

MattB

WKR
“Bomb proof!”

Except for the cam tower leak…… haha
But legitimately, how many people have been stranded by a cam tower leak? Not what you want to see, but also not a catastrophic failure.

Duh

WKR
But legitimately, how many people have been stranded by a cam tower leak? Not what you want to see, but also not a catastrophic failure.
True that. I was just talking a little crap. I actually just converted to the tundra the other week. Got mine for a steal so I can’t be to mad about the future cost of the repair.

I’ll take it over having the turbos go out and consistent manifold cracks in the F150 any day.

To be honest I haven’t really dived into this problem and have had to repair one yet. Most of my experience is with fleet diesel and equipment.

Reactions: ODB
Mine has been OK thus far, 2017 75k miles. Gas mileage is terrible but havent had the cam tower issue.

I know its been discussed on Tundras dot com a whole bunch, you can look there for more info.

Crusader

WKR
Any of you fellas had the tundra cam tower leak issue? Mine at 20K miles has been dripping (not seeping or sweating) oil onto the heat shield and stinking up the place. Toyota is fixing it, but it will be another week or so until it's done.

Just curious to hear from guys who have had it done - it's a hell of a disassembly to fix it. Post-fix experience appreciated too.
What model year is yours?