Tucson / Nogales Help or Donation

Fellow Roksliders- Looking for a little help. I’m looking to see if anybody would be wanting some free coues deer meat if I’m successful. Or tell me a place where I would be able to donate it. We would potentially be able to gift up to 3 deer. Explanation below…

Hunt the same unit every 3-4 years. Normally take two days to drive down and then put our bounty in a cooler and head home. But my son is going to be playing in the state football semi finals and championship (most likely) on both ends of the hunt. So we have opted to fly and don’t have a good way of getting the meat home. Will be bringing some Tupperware for camping gear, and should be able to get antlers home. Just won’t be able to get the meat home and prevent spoilage.

Anyway, if you or someone you know in those two areas have an interest please let me know asap. I’m going to start calling some butcher shops as well looking for suggestions. Thanks everybody!!

OP
passinggas33
Its cool that you're going hunting and fully admit that the antlers of a dink coues deer are worth more to you than the meat of said deer.

Pay the baggage fees and bring it back with you.

I love the meat and have no problem eating it, and we usually do. I’m just not a fan of being the cause of meat spoilage. Currently, getting the meat home without it spoiling is the problem. Baggage fee isn’t the issue either. We don’t have the ability to freeze the meat, and they generally won’t let you take a cooler full of melting ice (and bloody meat) on the plane/carry it on. Plus I would have 2 more days before I could get it to a cooler due to the football games. Like I said, this isn’t about the antlers or the meat. It’s about an adventure and then being a good steward of the meat and wanting it to get used before it goes bad.

Interesting take you have on it. Since when do airlines not let you fly with meat? Debone the meat and put it into a cooler once it’s cooled out properly. Tape the cooler shut and check the coolers as extra baggage. Put frozen water jugs in the cooler when you get home. It will stay cold for a long time and then only replace the bottles when the ice melts.

If hunting is merely about the adventure of it then hang up your weapons and hunt them with a camera. Not trying to be rude but I don’t understand wanting to hunt and kill
something without taking the meat. It’s good that you are thinking about giving it to someone who wants it. How about you fly in and hunt while your buddies drive and take it home for you?

AKBorn

WKR
Interesting take you have on it. Since when do airlines not let you fly with meat? Debone the meat and put it into a cooler once it’s cooled out properly. Tape the cooler shut and check the coolers as extra baggage. Put frozen water jugs in the cooler when you get home. It will stay cold for a long time and then only replace the bottles when the ice melts.

If hunting is merely about the adventure of it then hang up your weapons and hunt them with a camera. Not trying to be rude but I don’t understand wanting to hunt and kill
something without taking the meat. It’s good that you are thinking about giving it to someone who wants it. How about you fly in and hunt while your buddies drive and take it home for you?
When I read your post, I ask myself "did he understand what the OP was saying?" He will be in Tucson for days after the hunt, without a way to freeze the meat. And what "buddies" do you speak of?

Not trying to be rude, but perhaps endeavor to understand what is posted, before responding.

BBob

WKR
Anyway, if you or someone you know in those two areas have an interest please let me know asap.
If you need or want to give it away I'll happily take any you have to give. I'll process it and eat it or pass it around to get eaten. I and several friends would be happy to eat game meat over store bought and appreciate game meat well over the store bought as well. I have a standby fridge and freezer ready to be fired up for things like this. I'd be happy to travel anywhere down here to meet and pick up.

Last edited:
OP
passinggas33
Sounds like I have plenty of people willing to accept the meat and use it! That’s awesome. I’ll reach out to those that have expressed interest in the meat as it gets closer. If there are others that are still interested in the meat, PM me and I’ll figure out a way to try and get meat to anybody and everybody.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
You probably know this, but if you can't work it out with people from here the local Fish and Game office can certainly help you out with a donation program.