TTH Workout "Leap Frog"

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Toughness training is a hard thing to program because people will avoid doing things that they think (or know) will be even slightly uncomfortable. A person that truly enjoys the challenge and takes things on even when he/she knows it is not going to be “fun”… that’s the person I want to hang out with and the only kind of person that I will hunt with. There is nothing more amazingly beautiful and wildly unpredictable than the places that Western big game animals call home, and if you are not prepared mentally and physically to take on any challenge that may be thrown your way, you may want to consider just staying home. I’m just saying.

“Tough Haul”
For this workout I want you to divide the weight in half and use the leap frog method to move the weight from start to finish. For example, pack 100 pounds into your pack and move it 1/2 mile. Unload the weight and go back for the other 100 pound sandbag. Move the second bag up to the 1 mile mark and then go back to bag one at the 1/2 mile mark. Continue this pattern until you have moved both sandbags a total of 2 miles.
Most people have never leap frog transported anything, so even if you can carry the entire weight, leap frog it. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Predator
Move 200 Pounds of sandbags 2 miles

Warrior
Move 160 Pounds of sandbags 2 miles

Brave
Move 100 pounds of sandbags 2 miles

Extra Credit:
-Draw kneeling, stand and shoot for 15 arrows at 15-20 yards
-Draw and hold for 30 seconds before shooting 10 arrows at 15-20 yards

I did leap frog transporting today. I went to the local state park and hiked off trail for 25 minutes. I forgot my GPS, so it was probably a bit more than a mile. My pack was loaded with 90 lbs of sand bags. I dropped that load, jogged to the truck and loaded up 90lbs more. I passed the first drop and went for 20 more minutes. Then dropped that load and picked up the first and went a bit further. Then I turned around and headed back to the truck, leap frogging and jogging with the empty pack as I went. I shot my bow once I got home.

I just got my new bikini frame from Kifaru and got to try it out. Its awesome. This workout really opened my eyes. I’m planning an elk hunt for 2016. It will be my first. I will try and line up a packer. If I had to to this for 10 miles, it would probably kill me. I think 60 or 70 lbs would be more appropriate for my level of fitness and weight. I’m amazed and impressed when I read about guys hauling out 100lbs of meat for 8 plus miles. I will also bring 2 hiking poles. I had one, with this much weight 2 would be better. Also, by the end, I was having a hard time getting the pack on my back. How do you guys go about getting it back on? Once I was tired, I had to strap it on on the ground, then roll over and stand up.

It took 2 hrs and 21 minutes.

This was a great workout, and I will do more of these as the season gets closer.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did leap frog transporting today. I went to the local state park and hiked off trail for 25 minutes. I forgot my GPS, so it was probably a bit more than a mile. My pack was loaded with 90 lbs of sand bags. I dropped that load, jogged to the truck and loaded up 90lbs more. I passed the first drop and went for 20 more minutes. Then dropped that load and picked up the first and went a bit further. Then I turned around and headed back to the truck, leap frogging and jogging with the empty pack as I went. I shot my bow once I got home.

I just got my new bikini frame from Kifaru and got to try it out. Its awesome. This workout really opened my eyes. I’m planning an elk hunt for 2016. It will be my first. I will try and line up a packer. If I had to to this for 10 miles, it would probably kill me. I think 60 or 70 lbs would be more appropriate for my level of fitness and weight. I’m amazed and impressed when I read about guys hauling out 100lbs of meat for 8 plus miles. I will also bring 2 hiking poles. I had one, with this much weight 2 would be better. Also, by the end, I was having a hard time getting the pack on my back. How do you guys go about getting it back on? Once I was tired, I had to strap it on on the ground, then roll over and stand up.

It took 2 hrs and 21 minutes.

This was a great workout, and I will do more of these as the season gets closer.

Thats awesome, Karl. Nice work. Glad it brought that to your attention on how difficult it is to pack an animal out. Keep it up and thanks for the feedback!

Manosteel

WKR
Thanks for posting the two different workout, other than the bow shooting at the end of the workouts, I should be able to do most of them at the Worl Health Fitness club in my office building. Will be grabbing a subscription to she how she goes for a month

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting the two different workout, other than the bow shooting at the end of the workouts, I should be able to do most of them at the Worl Health Fitness club in my office building. Will be grabbing a subscription to she how she goes for a month

Awesome. What I like about the subscription is you can click on the exercise its linked to a short YouTube of Kenton demonstrating how to do the exercise.