Kowa 663 - Thoughts?

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody here with experience using the Kowa Prominar 663/664 series?

Does the 663 use comparable glass to the 773? They are both in the Prominar, non-flourite category. Is it simply the same glass, but in a smaller objective? I know the zoom eyepiece on the 663 is a significant step down in quality from the 773 eyepiece. I'm even considering the 30x with the 663 and being done with my search. As long as I can field judge mule deer out to 2 miles max, I'll be happy with the setup. I'm not the type to pan or really "glass" with the spotter. Just want to judge bucks and move back to my binos.

Very intrigued by the possibility of the cost and weight savings of this scope compared to the Kowa 773, especially for backcountry hunting. Looks like roughly a 13 ounce reduction in weight, and nearly 50% less on the price tag.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think he’s referring to the older 66 series.
I have a 663 with the 30x eyepiece and the variable eyepiece. The 30x is much better and very sharp. I have one season under my belt using it, and so far I am impressed with it.

dapesche

WKR
have a read of my experience with a lot of spotters:

some sample pics:

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
have a read of my experience with a lot of spotters:

some sample pics:
Amazing the 663 can hang with the ATS at half the price and even a little less weight.

Did you ever weigh your 663 on a scale?

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I owned a 664 with the 20-60x and wa 30x. I now own the 774 with wa 25-60.

The 664 with the wa 30x was impressive and was indistinguishable from my buddies Swarovski sts non-hd. Gave up a little with the variable eyepiece.

The 774 is noticeably better due to the better eyepiece. The 774 is impressive. I absolutely love glassing with it.

dapesche

WKR
Amazing the 663 can hang with the ATS at half the price and even a little less weight.

Did you ever weigh your 663 on a scale?
never weighed it. It was light though. I think the new 663 weighs more b/c there is a different material.

I should not have sold the 663....

I recommended my brother in law to buy the 773 when it was discontinued....

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 663 Prominar with the 25X LER and have looked through other guys' 77 and 88mm Kowas. At least with NRA midrange and Longrange F-class events, there really is no shortcomings with choosing the 663.

I now have a 774, a 66s (in the classifieds), have had the 884 and started off my kowa affair with the 664.

The 664 was a great piece of glass, the only problem I had with it and was suggesting to marketing and sales guys at Kowa was to get the micro/macro focus wheels and a larger eyepiece on it and it would be great, but with what it had it was very capable. In south Idaho I had been hunting mule deer and was picking them out of their beds at 1 mile in sparse timber and grasses. Never did really do a ton at 2 miles, but can say at 1 mile they showed plenty of detail.

I went from the 664 to 884 as it was the top at the time and it was dam good, just large. Compared it side by side with the 77 and wasn't a huge difference so went with the 77 and sold the 88. Have been with the 77 now for many years and the 66s comes out. Tried it to see what I liked more and the size is great, the features are all there, but I myself just can't make out the huge difference in a short amount of time comparing them, maybe I need to go and get some distances in between what I have at home (needing 1000 to 1.5 miles) but in 400 and less and at about 2miles they look very similar.

Op if all you want to do is what you were talking, then 663or 4 will probably serve you well.