Trying to decide between nomad or emr II

c5mrr270

WKR
Ever since I went to sheep show I've been having a hell of a time we deciding between a nomad and emr II.

I really like versatility of the nomad and the endless number of configuarions available. I really liked the video where aron set the nomad up with a back pouch, gun cradle and long hunter lid. I could see myself using that exact setup quite a bit for day hunts. Unfortunately with my new job that is what I'm going to be stuck doing the most the next couple of years, while maybe throwing in a couple 7-9 day hunts for elk or mulies.

I also like the look of the emr II and the way it can compress into day pack mode. Also love the center zip access. The problem I'm having is that the nomad with a back pouch, long hunter lid and grab it weighs just about as much as the emr II. Trade the back pouch for a camp bag and you're slightly heavier.

Maybe you guys have some ideas or insights I'm missing.

Beastmode

WKR
I was in the same dilemma and went to the sheep show just to check them out. I ended up deciding on the emr 2. It compresses down just about as small as the nomad. Its big enough for my long hunts and gets small enough for day hunts. Aron will give you some ideas but I dont think you can go wrong with either of them. I just liked the emr 2 better for my personal use.

Eric S

FNG
I am in the same boat. I'm leaning towards EMR2. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of the EMR2 in all of the color options?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Both are great options.

I think the Nomad will be more versatile for me. Only a lot of miles with it this year will tell.

This has been my dilemma for the past month! I need to talk with Aron also. Called him but he was busy during the sheep show so need to try again. Leaning towards the EMR II but I could almost flip a coin. Watched every video of both packs about half a dozen times... What have you guys been ordering for frames? Again, I could flip a coin on that also but leaning towards the Duplex Hunter version. Maybe a bikini at a later date. Maybe add a Nomad at a later date also! Choices...

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
Decided to go with the nomad. I don't do enough long trips to spend the extra money or carry the extra weight of the emr II all the time. Like I said I'll mostly be doing day trips with one or two 7-9 day hunts thrown in the mix. The nomad will work awesome for those longer hunts too, I can use the camp bag or a dry sack to haul in camp and then have a light weight day pack to use from there. Also I do bike into some areas so the nomad and gun cradle will be sweet. Hope you guys get yours figured out.

I do have one more question though. I'm probably going to buy the gun cradle but I'd also like to run the gun bearer. Do you have to buy them both, or can you just buy one and buy the other strap seperate?

Its a tough decision eh? When in doubt I'd always say go with the larger bag. You can always compress down but you can't make her grow when needed!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
With the Nomad, you can do exactly that. You can start with a "day pack" and add as much space to it as you want.

I just pulled the trigger on the EMR II. I was leaning towards it, but talked to Aron Snyder and reaffirmed my decision for the EMR II. I'm just more fond of its design and capacity. In essence, it can be collapsed down to function nearly the same as the Nomad with the middle empty and the wings folded in. I toiled over this decision for a month or more and it was torture but now the real torture is waiting for it to arrive! Can't wait! This will be my first Kifaru. It's a big investment but one I'm hoping is worth it. I would encourage anyone on the fence to call Kifaru and get their added guidance.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It was a pretty easy choice for me. I rarely do 5+ nights in the field like Aron and Luke. The Nomad being so modular can go from a daypack to my 3-5 days in the back country easily. Plus it's designed to hold a big gun!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think the Nomad is better for fat guys too....at least that's what the guy that designed it told me:) I think James Petker ordered two of them!
It was a pretty easy choice for me. I rarely do 5+ nights in the field like Aron and Luke. The Nomad being so modular can go from a daypack to my 3-5 days in the back country easily. Plus it's designed to hold a big gun!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Fat Kids Unite!!! Aron you don't have a BIG gun you wouldn't understand.

Last edited:
OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR

This is exactly what tipped me toward the nomad.

Rizzy

WKR
I would go nomad. Too me the nomad looks like it will carry meat better because you can attach the bottom of the load above the beltline.

MattB

WKR
Nomad for me due to its versatility. You can use it for day hunts, and I am figuring on using a STS Pack liner (~5,500 ci) as a center bag for the big hunts.