Truly staying warm

EvanG17

Lil-Rokslider
I have only every hunted from a stand or blind for most of my life (whitetail hunting). And when cold and wintry type weather comes in, i get cold quickly. I know going out west is going to be completely different. I know there is a lot more physical action that occurs during these types of hunts. My concern is at night, even with a zero degree sleeping bag, do you guys get cold? I dont mean chilly. I mean like uncomfortable and really wanting to pack it all in and end a hunt cold. Same goes with clothing. Iv never had to buy a bunch of layers and clothes for a hunt like this. Just worried about my past experience deer hunting, and being miserable within a matter of hours

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I think there are quite a few more factors that would influence my answer but here is my broad take. A 0 deg bag is pretty damn warm and to take advantage of all that insulation, you'll want a good sleeping pad with a high R value, 4+. Keep in mind the 0 deg is likely a survival rating and the comfort rating is probably closer to 10-15. I wear merino baselayers and even my down jacket if I am expecting it to get really cold.

I agree with @Jpsmith1, make each of your layers count. For me, this is usually merino base layers, insulating layers (fleece, synthetic insulation, or down), and a shell for wind/precipitation. This system is pretty simple and allows me to adapt to a wide range of temperatures.

Bighorner

WKR
The big thing is to go to bed warm, not hot and not cold. You don't want to be so warm you sweat and start to crawl out of the bag once asleep and you don't want to be freezing because at that point you are drawing warmth towards your core and not getting the bag up to a comfortable temp. You are the thermostate in the bag. You can cheat a little with hot water in a nalogen or having hot tea/water right before bed.

And wear a beanie.

Last edited:
I stay warm in the Rockies:

Early September
Sleep Gear
- sleeping bag rated to 30°
- sleeping pad R 1.2
Clothes
- Base layer (long sleeve & boxers)
- Hoodie for insulation
- Rain jacket for shell
- DWR pants
- Lightweight beanie
- Lightweight gloves

Late September
Sleep Gear
- sleeping pad R 1.2
Clothes
- Mid layer is medium weight Capilene top
- Hoodie for insulation
- Rain jacket for shell
- DWR pants
- Lightweight beanie
- Lightweight gloves

Mid to late October
Sleep Gear
- sleeping bag rated to 20°
- sleeping pad R 3.2
Clothes
- Base layer (long sleeve & long underwear)
- Hoodie for insulation
- Puffy jacket for insulation
- Rain jacket for shell
- DWR pants
- Medium weight beanie
- Glove liners and shells

In November the list is almost the same as October. I’d just add the capillene sweater and I’d probably bring my 0° bag at that point.

Boots & sock weight changes with season

How and what you eat is also very important to how warm you stay. Eat fats before bed. If you can sit in a tree stand in the northern Midwest in November or December you’ll be fine here.

Last edited:
This stuff gets very personal very quickly. Example: my hunting buddy and I will eat nearly the same food, have comparable layers, go step for step bow hunting and at night I’m chilled in my 20 deg WM and he’s hot in a 30 degree marmot.

I have found that the minimal weight penalty for some puffy pants and an extra insulating layer plus a warmer pad and the WM bag (replaced a 0 deg marmot and is warmer) makes for a much much more enjoyable trip for me.

At a point, you just need to try it to see where you land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
You'll be fine.
I cant believe it will be much different than Michigan.
Course, I think I'm a hot sleeper. Sleep better when it's cold.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I still remember those days of waking up in the wall tent with a sheet of ice covering the top of my -30 sleeping bag. And that was with a stove burning wood and coal all night. I was comfortable in the sleeping bag, but always hated getting up. I don't miss those days even a little bit. September though........is awesome.

zacattack

WKR
I have only every hunted from a stand or blind for most of my life (whitetail hunting). And when cold and wintry type weather comes in, i get cold quickly. I know going out west is going to be completely different. I know there is a lot more physical action that occurs during these types of hunts. My concern is at night, even with a zero degree sleeping bag, do you guys get cold? I dont mean chilly. I mean like uncomfortable and really wanting to pack it all in and end a hunt cold. Same goes with clothing. Iv never had to buy a bunch of layers and clothes for a hunt like this. Just worried about my past experience deer hunting, and being miserable within a matter of hours
Michigan is a great place to test gear. Spend some nights in the backyard in your sleep system to get it dialed in before you go out west. The neighbors may think you are strange but who cares.

. I spent my younger days freezing my ass off in a tree stand, mostly because I didn’t understand how to get the most out of my clothing. Now i understand how to layer, eating, what clothes to wear when. Just practice and get to know your clothing and gear.

jd1006

WKR
Test your gear. Only way to really know. Look up John Barklow - 8-piece system. With the right sleeping pad, a decent bag (that’s suited for the elements you expect to be in), and a good layering system, you’ll be fine. Now, the will to get out of that bag in the morning is probably the toughest part, and resisting the temptation to layer up before you start hiking.

When in doubt bring an 18 hour handwarmer per day....love those little things
On a 7 day hunt that’s 14 ounces. Personally I’d rather add that weight to my layering system or food. One ounce of extra virgin olive oil has 251 calories and it is a very healthy fat. Fats keep you warm. I drink a little before bed. To each his own.

Last edited:
Something else that many people might already know. Have a way to relieve yourself inside the tent. Not only does it suck to either hold your piss or go out in the cold just to piss. You let out a bunch of heat from your tent when you go out. Even if your tent is cold inside it is warmer than outside. Finally, I don’t know if it burns enough calories to matter but it does require you to engage muscle/s to hold it in. I keep a collapsible Nalgene just like this:A05EF2F7-ED2C-4610-B2B5-8FDD4D1D6E00.jpeg

Dmann

FNG
I stay warm in the Rockies:

Early September
Sleep Gear
- sleeping pad R 1.2
Clothes
- Hoodie for insulation
- Rain jacket for shell
- DWR pants
- Lightweight beanie
- Lightweight gloves

Late September
Sleep Gear
- sleeping pad R 1.2
Clothes
- Mid layer is medium weight Capilene top
- Hoodie for insulation
- Rain jacket for shell
- DWR pants
- Lightweight beanie
- Lightweight gloves

Mid to late October
Sleep Gear
- sleeping bag rated to 20°
- sleeping pad R 3.2
Clothes
- Base layer (long sleeve & long underwear)
- Hoodie for insulation
- Puffy jacket for insulation
- Rain jacket for shell
- DWR pants
- Medium weight beanie
- Glove liners and shells

In November the list is almost the same as October. I’d just add the capillene sweater and I’d probably bring my 0° bag at that point.

Boots & sock weight changes with season

How and what you eat is also very important to how warm you stay. Eat fats before bed. If you can sit in a tree stand in the northern Midwest in November or December you’ll be fine here.
This is very informative...Thanks for sharing.

rootacres

WKR
Fellow Michigander whitetail hunter here.

First thing, for whitetail hunting go buy a Sitka Stratus (or Fanatic) suit. The gore windstopper membrane is key to cutting the wind. I owned what I thought was the best whitetail gear on the planet. I too got cold quick when the wind picked up. The windstopper membrane in some of the EVII Sitka gear was my answer. With a few quality base layers I go deep into November with the Stratus.

Second, I try to go out west at least once a year. It’s a different animal then whitetail hunting MI. My gear list is completely different. I use FL base layers, combined with KUIU outer shells and insulation, and Crispis boots.

At night you always have the option of using your base layers and insulation layer to help keep you warm. Be honest with yourself on if you’re really going to pack into the backcountry with camp. Or if you’re going to do a base camp / truck camp style hunt. The latter will allow you to bring extra bedding that pretty much eliminates the worry of getting cold. A little Mr. Buddy heater changes everything too. If you’re 100% packing into the backcountry do some shakedown runs with gear on some colder MI nights. That’s how I fine tuned some of my gear list. And there’s always the option of buying a SO titanium stove and combining that with one of their tents. (That’s what we did)