Truck Topper/Camper/Canopy tent extensions

18FLHP

FNG
I camp out of a 5.5 ft F-150 bed with a Snugtop. My current setup has decked drawers and a custom extension with folding legs to extend the surface of the decked drawers over the tailgate giving me 78 inches of sleeping room. As of right now I just hang a tarp diagonlly from the top of the topper to the edge of the tailgate but I have been looking at other options such as the Topper Tent V2 or the Topperlift Nomad Camper package.

Had anybody used either or something similar?

OP

18FLHP

FNG
I have also looked at the DAC Truck Tent extension but that's at the bottom of my list. I don't like how it mounts or installs

Have you considered a roof top tent like a CVT? I have one and I love it. I can set it up and take it down in less than 10 minutes each way.

I have used a DAC for years/lots of nights and it has worked out great. It takes me about at much time to get it setup as my BA copper spur, maybe less. I know you looked at it but if you dont find anything else to your liking you may take a 2nd look.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a Canvas cutter with the tailgate down. It's not enclosed but it's an option.

2 things I am looking at currently, one of which I already bought...

Already bought a "Flated" topper. It has 4-ish inches of air insulation between you and the outside world and it can be removed with one person in a few minutes. The second part of this is very important to me, but the added benefit of the air gap is icing on the cake. I am replacing an A.R.E. topper on my f350 long bed with this... speaking of, if anyone is interested... Metallic grey, will fit 2017-2021 I believe, but do your research.

The other is from a company called "Tune" it's the only thing they make right now I think, it's called the "M1", but I am looking at getting a Tacoma in the near future, or maybe an F150 and this will go on top. They are coming out with an insulation kit for it as well, which would be a game changer for me. Add some solar panels to the top and a nice big battery with an electric heater and a propane tank for the cook top and I am off to the long-term-stay races.

Just a couple things you might want to check out, hope this helps!

OP

18FLHP

FNG
Have you considered a roof top tent like a CVT? I have one and I love it. I can set it up and take it down in less than 10 minutes each way.
I have but trying to work within what I already have at least to get me through the end of the year. I am looking at purchasing a Radica Moonlander to replace my current topper and that will eliminate my need for extending my current camper shell sleep area.

OP

18FLHP

FNG
2 things I am looking at currently, one of which I already bought...

Already bought a "Flated" topper. It has 4-ish inches of air insulation between you and the outside world and it can be removed with one person in a few minutes. The second part of this is very important to me, but the added benefit of the air gap is icing on the cake. I am replacing an A.R.E. topper on my f350 long bed with this... speaking of, if anyone is interested... Metallic grey, will fit 2017-2021 I believe, but do your research.

The other is from a company called "Tune" it's the only thing they make right now I think, it's called the "M1", but I am looking at getting a Tacoma in the near future, or maybe an F150 and this will go on top. They are coming out with an insulation kit for it as well, which would be a game changer for me. Add some solar panels to the top and a nice big battery with an electric heater and a propane tank for the cook top and I am off to the long-term-stay races.

Just a couple things you might want to check out, hope this helps!
I've researched a ton of canopy campers but this is the first I have seen the Tune M1. Looked at GFC and Super Pacific X1 but I am really leaning towards the simplicity of the Radica Moonlander. I am currently in saving mode for that and will order when i have about half of the cost of my build saved. But I need a solution now togt me through to the end of the year.

I've researched a ton of canopy campers but this is the first I have seen the Tune M1. Looked at GFC and Super Pacific X1 but I am really leaning towards the simplicity of the Radica Moonlander. I am currently in saving mode for that and will order when i have about half of the cost of my build saved. But I need a solution now togt me through to the end of the year.
I had never heard of the Radica, that thing is pretty cool! I like that it's all one piece, essentially and doesn't have any canvas, etc. The pop top of the M1 adds a potential weak spot with the canvas for leaks, etc. but I think it would make a big diff being able to stand up or mostly stand in the back. Otherwise I think they are really similar! I don't think you can really go wrong, best of luck with whatever you choose, and if you get the Radica I would love to hear first impressions and then what you think of it over time!

OP

18FLHP

FNG
I had never heard of the Radica, that thing is pretty cool! I like that it's all one piece, essentially and doesn't have any canvas, etc. The pop top of the M1 adds a potential weak spot with the canvas for leaks, etc. but I think it would make a big diff being able to stand up or mostly stand in the back. Otherwise I think they are really similar! I don't think you can really go wrong, best of luck with whatever you choose, and if you get the Radica I would love to hear first impressions and then what you think of it over time!
Yea the Tune M1 is the first pop up style canopy (in that sub $10k base price range) that I have found that is wider than the bed and therefor allows for sleeping sideways across the truck bed. I like the Moonlander because of the lack of Canvas, although when I build it out how I want I am close to $12k. My thoughts are I can leave it on the truck 90+ percent of the time and only take it off when hauling something too tall for the Moonlander