Truck stolen from dealership

wyosteve

WKR
As a corollary, if you had any identifying papers/information in the truck, it would be best to lock your credit with all 3 reporting agencies. Registration, insurance papers contain a fair amount of identifying information that could be used beyond the truck theft.

thauglor

FNG
As a corollary, if you had any identifying papers/information in the truck, it would be best to lock your credit with all 3 reporting agencies. Registration, insurance papers contain a fair amount of identifying information that could be used beyond the truck theft.
Very good point!

Forgive me if some of this has already been mentioned. Ask the dealer for your keys you left when you dropped off the vehicle. If the vehicle was stolen with the keys you left with the dealer. I would say it is on them. Negligent on their part if it was driven off lot with the keys. If someone broke into locked vehicle and broken ignition when it was taken probably your insurance. If and when the vehicle is recovered should tell the story of how it was stolen. Along with whether the dealer can provide you with original keys and fob you left with them.

I also noted the truck was an 06 chevy. Unfortunately that year model the door lock as well as ignition is extremely easy to bypass. I believe a search will show that as one of the most stolen vehicles currently.

My 2 cents for what it's worth to ya.

Before you go lighting up the dealership with bad reviews I would ask for a meeting with the parts/service manager and the sales manager at the same time.

Say that you understand this is most likely in the hands of the insurance agencies at this point, but you would like to know what they are willing to do to make things up to you, as it was stolen in their care, they did mislead you saying it was being worked on when it was in fact stolen, and had they done as originally stated it wouldn't have still been there to be stolen in the first place.

Explain the value of the camper, your potential stolen identity, etc. I wouldn't push for a new truck given you had an 06 stolen. But I'd be looking for smoking deal on something in the 2012-2015 range. Promise a good review if you're well taken care of. (Subtle nod to a shit review if you're not taken care of)

They have room to deal and even taking a 2k-3k loss on a nice vehicle they got on trade won't hurt them nearly as bad as someone posting any where they can about them taking a month to do a job they said they would do in a few days and your pickup getting stolen in the process!

Unckebob

WKR
I wouldn’t disagree. But in my experience, you are relying on the insurance company to move things forward - at their pace and with a focus on recovering their pay out, if possible. they are going to take weeks or months and they are not 100% aligned at ou because they are really only focused on minimizing the claim payment. IMO, they’re zero chance the insurance company is gonna lean on the dealership too hard, much less file suit against them if it comes to that.

I would add that I think things tend to move a little quicker and differently when you have your own lawyer in the middle of things. Your call if you think it is worth it.

You are correct that they will never file suit against the dealership. The dealership will have its own insurance company. They will go to binding arbitration. I was in an accident where the other party was 100% at fault. Their insurance company said it was a third party's fault.

My carrier won the arbitration and I got my deductible back.

Wrench

WKR
Been here. My insurance paid. The shop paid my deductible....but they didn't have to.

Where in SW MT? Butte, Bozeman or Missoula?
PM if you like, But better to get the location out so we can be looking out for thief’s in our region.

Theres a lot of speculation going on here. Frankly I would like to know not think, seems like or guess were liability lies and what my options are. Thats probably not going to happen without consulting an attorney.
It might not cost to much for a consultation. State laws will vary.

Reactions: 9.1

gbflyer

WKR
How many people here have full coverage on a 17 year old pickup?

Real pain in the ass. Hope it gets sorted without a full-on fight.

pk_

WKR
With an open lot, you would think they would keep the keys in a safe that blocks the fob from being relayed…

Is that how they are doing it?

I just read something about this a few weeks ago. The story I read was warning persons to not leave your key fob's close to the door or front of your house. Basically someone could drive by and do exactly what the OP described with a relay. Your own fob could unlock your car from inside your house while you are sitting right next to it while reading Rokslide.

I sympathize with the OP. My truck was stolen from my house the week of Thanksgiving. It was found about a month later in a neighboring town, smashed up, full of stolen goods and garbage, drugs and drug paraphenallia. LE said it was a suspect vehicle in numerous burglaries.

Insurance paid me off, but what a total pain in the ass. Holiday season is not a great time to be shopping for a new ride.

The shitty part is how prevelant vehicle theft is. No one really cares, it is almost tolerated. First thing the LE told me when I filled out the report was to not go looking for my truck. And if I did find it, do not try and get it back. I would get in more trouble than the thieves.

Think about that for a minute. Remember it before you vote.

WCB

WKR
First thing the LE told me when I filled out the report was to not go looking for my truck. And if I did find it, do not try and get it back. I would get in more trouble than the thieves.

Think about that for a minute. Remember it before you vote.
Sounds like you have shitty police in your area.

Sounds like you have shitty police in your area.

I do not know if they are shitty police or not. This was in King County WA, so definitely politically directed. Police can only do what they are allowed to do.
I understood that once the truck was stolen, the only way it would turn up is if it were abandoned or caught in the commision of a crime. Literally no one is actively looking for a stolen vehicle. Unless it had a kid in it or something.

Yoder

WKR
The dealer is pretty good about leaving your keys in the ignition with the doors unlocked. I went to pick up my truck one time for a tailgate cable recall. The left the windows down, keys in the ignition and it was raining. I really lost my shit on those people. Just no respect for your property.

This...if you had any garage door openers in that truck I would be unplugging the openers until you could get your codes changed.