Truck Shopping

go_deep

WKR
I like the Tundras, but in late 2012 got shot a price of $27k for a brand new Nissan Titan. I now have 119k miles on it 9 years later and the only thing I've ever done is gas, oil, tires, and brakes. Get about 21 mph on the highway, and at the time it had the highest factory ground clearance.
Now 9 years later the Titan could be a totally different story, but I'd buy mine again in a heartbeat.

jlh42581

WKR
My buddy has said the same thing about the cab size, but overall he's been pretty happy with the use he's gotten out of it. Going to have to take a good look at the Tundra. What do you know about the slightly older models compared to the newer ones? He's also mentioned the newer Tacomas aren't as well built as some of the slightly older ones. Wondering if that is strictly a Tacoma thing or maybe extends to the Tundras too..
Theres quite a few generations, mine would be the second generation. This latest gen has some pretty neat features that you can get too. Example would be you can get the back window that the whole entire glass drops down!

I cant comment about longevity too much but I have two buddies that have had gen 1 tundras that lasted longer than they did before moving on without issues. They also retain value crazy. My truck has 115k on it and still carries a 20k price tag.

When he really notices that lack of power is when he tows his SXS to my house. I live on top of the mountain not like you guys out west but these mountains are steep in short vertical distances.

Those really old toyotas will take a BEATING.

Ill tell ya this, in the north east its salt city. The underneath of my truck is still pretty impressive. You need to watch as there were years toyota had a frame recall. Check on that before you make a decision on an older one.

I want to see if I can put 500k miles on mine without a major repair. At the rate im going I wont need another truck till after retirement if that holds true, if ever.

Finch

WKR
2016 Tundra owner here. I really gave the F-150 a hard look but wasn't gonna let a couple grand keep me from getting what I really wanted. I purchased a certified used and I'm happy.

I think the newer tundras (2018 and up maybe) have TSS problems. These are the sensors on the grill and I really don't know much more than that. Hopefully someone can chime in that owns one. I think it's more of a nuisance than anything. I also think they did away with the transmission cooler in the newer trucks (2019 and up).

I also have a 2006 Tacoma that has been a real solid truck. 231K miles and no issues. I do my own maintenance on both.

ETtikka

WKR
Tundra!

I have messed with just about all of them, hard to beat the reliability, ease of maintenance, resale.
i did have a gmc which developed a crankshaft issue that was not covered under the Powertrain warranty, talk to 50 people at gm , let them know I would never buy another, etc, they don’t care, trade for tundra , very pleased.

when I evaluate trucks I look underneath, I don’t care about all the plastic bells and whistles

I am on my 2nd tundra And getting the itch to update. I bought my 2010 5 years ago with 55k miles on it. I put 60k miles on it with nothing more than routine maintenance and repairs. They are boringly reliable. The only issue I have with them is they have not kept up with Ford, Ram and others in terms of innovation. A 2021 tundra is very similar to my 2010 and the interior feels like it is a generation behind the others.

on the Tacoma vs tundra debate, if you need the extra power and space, go tundra. If you don’t, then save a few bucks. Both are great trucks. FWIW, my buddy that got a Tacoma wants to trade it in and get a tundra after driving mine.

Rook-

FNG
Unless you need a truck NOW it's not a good time to buy. Inventory is down prices are up and most manufacturers aren't throwing money on the hood like they did years past for new. Used prices by and large are stupid for 2017 and later trucks. Wait it out and do your research.

Toyotas are reliable but it seems like your getting a 2005 truck at 2021 prices... I personally believe Ford leads the 1/2 ton segment but the new 2021 redesign means higher prices and lower inventory.

wapitibob

WKR
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I just bought a 2020 f150 that's nice but if one was available I would have bought a 2020 f350 crewcab with the 6.7, no other options for 50k.

Attachments

• 441000.jpg
    441000.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 74

ETtikka

WKR
I admit that tundras are dated, and others have more innovation, but Toyota is more concerned with quality and extended testing before they release. The big three have transitioned way too much outsourcing to Mexico ( electronic, hemi engines, sub assy),

also, all Tacoma are now made in Tijuana, Tundra still made in Texas, and a very large majority of suppliers are American, compared to big 3

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2018 Tacoma that I bought in 2017. I will be taking a hard look at the new 2022 Tundra when it hits the lot. I've only driven Tacoma's my entire life and I just need more room and towing power now.

If you can, wait until the 2022 Tundra comes out. If it isnt great I will probably go Chevy.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
Unless you need a truck NOW it's not a good time to buy. Inventory is down prices are up and most manufacturers aren't throwing money on the hood like they did years past for new. Used prices by and large are stupid for 2017 and later trucks. Wait it out and do your research.

Toyotas are reliable but it seems like your getting a 2005 truck at 2021 prices... I personally believe Ford leads the 1/2 ton segment but the new 2021 redesign means higher prices and lower inventory.
I'm not running out the door tomorrow to buy, fortunately. It'll probably be May-June before I'm walking on the lot to be serious, but wanted to start paying attention to makes and models and corresponding price tags to know what might be overpriced. I'm definitely considering older model years, too, but for what I'm reading about the Tundra it's the mileage that's probably going to be the bigger differentiation rather than year.

Vandal 44

WKR
I am in the service contract business and I can tell you when it comes to claims the Toyota Tundra has fewer issues than GM, Dodge and Ford, however when you do need to repair the Tundra it’s not cheap.

I own a 2019 Tundra bought it new and I have just over 27,000 miles on it. I really like the ride on the freeway, the room in side is amazing and solid power. The one downside is the truck bed could be a little longer. I hear people complain about fuel economy, I get about 17 MPG on the highway and combined MPG about 14 five or take a mile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
I have a 2019 Tacoma, came from a F150, can’t say that it miss the bigger truck all that much. If you tow a lot then the Tacoma is going to leave a lot to be desired, but I pretty much only tow my 13’ jon boat. The backseat doesn’t have a lot of room but you can put two adults back there for short rides. I’m around 6’2” and have plenty of room in it. I’ve even slept in the cab for several nights while traveling. I highly recommend one if you don’t need a full size truck. And skip the high end packages, I got the SR5 and it had everything I need or want.

The “right” truck from the wrong dealer can be an absolute headache. Visit the ones who sell your top two or three picks, check the reviews, and get a feel of the personnel that work there before making your decision.

ALWAYS play them against each other!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS3579

WKR
The certified Tundra has a better powertrain warranty than a NEW Tundra. I got a certified one myself. Check into that on any Make/Model you decide on. I also passed in the Extended Warranty. I went in the reliability of my other Toyota’s not needing anything after 100,000 miles.

RS3579

WKR
I'm not running out the door tomorrow to buy, fortunately. It'll probably be May-June before I'm walking on the lot to be serious, but wanted to start paying attention to makes and models and corresponding price tags to know what might be overpriced. I'm definitely considering older model years, too, but for what I'm reading about the Tundra it's the mileage that's probably going to be the bigger differentiation rather than year.
Look on True Car. They have them listed as GREAT DEAL OR AVERAGE DEAL. You can judge the price from there.

MR5X5

FNG
Seem like you ought to start with what you need a truck for and go from there? Hauling? Camper? Wife & Kids? Wheeling? Rock crawling? Trails? Grocery getter? Daily driver? Something you can turn wrenches on? Full of gadgetry? Needs in 5 years... those sorts of things.

Scottyboy

WKR
I have a 2017 F150 ecoboost with 110k miles. Have done nothing to it besides regular oil change/tire rotations and have only put on new tires and wiper blades....nothing else.

quite pleased this far.

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
2020 F150 supercrew LB with an ARE cap.- love the truck still getting used to the Ecoboost and the 10 speed trans. But have had no issue towing anything. The last 3 trucks before this one have all be F150 supercrew short box. all went over 200K easy with only changing breaks. tires and normal fluid changes.