Hunting rig <15K

the gas mileage criteria is knocking you out of the obvious. Used truck with a camper shell. If it’s a hunting rig, getting less mileage shouldn’t be an issue. It’s not going to be used enough to truly see the positive of better fuel mileage. Plus a older truck with a topper will pull
More. Can act as your camp. Etc…

OP
ramsdude47
This started as a WTB ad. No one is going to convince me a truck is an ideal match for my usage. The specs on those Ecoboost RAMS are unbelievable, but they are way over my budget.

PM me if you would sell something close to what I'm looking for. I appreciate the recommendations from those that avoided telling me I need a truck or a Subaru is gutless.

I had a 96 LX450 and have to say I regret trading it more than any vehicle I've every owned.. That thing was the closest to perfect as any vehicle could get (other than fuel mileage).. If I could get it back I'd probably pay more for it than I got for it.. The drop seats in the rear (3d row) are awesome and make for a ton of capacity..

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
I won't tell you that all Subarus are gutless,but my wife has a 2015 Subaru Crosstrek Limited. There's no way in heck it's towing 2000 lbs without dieing. Maybe they offer different motor options in some of the newer model Crosstreks but hers will nearly stall if you gun it with the AC running. The other problem for hunting is the lack of space. However, my wife likes the car and it's a whole lot easier on fuel and getting around in town than the Sequoia she had before.

I used it for a couple hunts for turkeys in the spring because she was out of town, I was driving 3 hours one way, and it was all pavement. Fuel savings between it and my Tundra were significant.

My sons have had older model Outbacks and Foresters that I believe had more umph, but I still wouldn't want to tow more than a dirt bike.

With that said, they've all been good cars and I could make them work in a lot of cases but ground clearance is a big issue and they aren't good at towing.

One of my boys currently drives an 01 CRV that has more room and looks like a little more clearance. The newer ones look more for luxury rides.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
My Audi uses diesel and gets mid 30’s mpg. 600 miles to a tank at least.
yes it does. Glad you got the diesel. The model suggested in the comments took 91 Octane. I have 3 chevys, 1 is a 6.5 diesel 1 ton pickup, 1 is a 7400 vortec suburban and runs on 87, and the last is a corvette and runs on 93 octane.....same kinda thing. lets stay germane...

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
the gas mileage criteria is knocking you out of the obvious. Used truck with a camper shell. If it’s a hunting rig, getting less mileage shouldn’t be an issue. It’s not going to be used enough to truly see the positive of better fuel mileage. Plus a older truck with a topper will pull
More. Can act as your camp. Etc…
This. For a vehicle that is only used 3-4 months out of the year, MPG would be down on the list. I'm with Elknut, get the best used Tacoma for that $15-20K you want to spend. Most likely gonna be a mid 2nd Gen with ~150K miles. Reliable as hell. Easy to work on when called for. My 2011 Qaud Cab SR5 gets around 18-20mpg. And is better hunting/camping rig than any of the x-overs you listed.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Based off your list, I would immediately scratch the Jeep Cherokee and Ford Escape from experience. GF currently drives a Cherokee, 2019 SUV version. Constant issues. Sway bar links, control arms, etc. Not knocking Jeep, I have a Wrangler as a hunting rig and its been great. Other than limited room. Hitch rack is a definite must. Prior to that, I tried a cheap Ford Escape. Lasted one season. Clearance was the first issue. Couldn't keep a muffler on it and things got worse from there. Sent it to the scrap yard for 4 hundo. I've seen plenty a Subie make good hunting rigs.

cougarred

FNG
All I can say is don't et the Polaris Ranger NorthStar enclosed cab if you are wanting AC. The heater works great in the winter but here in Texas during the summer I don't even use it cause the AC sucks. End up parking it all summer and just use an open cab till it gets chilly.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having owned a Subaru forester they aren’t necessarily gutless but the nature of a cvt transmission is something to get used to. The pro is it’s always in the power band, no loss between gears. The con is they need to wind up so they don’t jump off the line or make quick acceleration, it is consistent though.

The Outback XTs have a Turbo engine and are far from gutless. I am sure you can pick one of them up in your price range. We have that same engine in our 2023 Ascent and it will get up and go. Also just towed a tandem axle trailer with ATV on it with no issues. Find the Outback XT and you have what you are look for. You can even buy a locker for the rear.

180ls1

WKR
One thing many people are overlooking is how overloaded a Subaru is going to be with all the hunting gear and a 2,000lb trailer.

Heck, a lot of the overland Tacomas you see around with a camper shell and lots of stuff attached to them are overloaded. Add bigger tires or a lift to the mix and it gets worse.

I don't even like pushing up to the limit. Usually, around 70% of the limit is where you should start reconsidering.

OP
ramsdude47
My trailer is a small utility trailer, probably 800#. The heaviest load I will carry on it is my 425# motorcycle. I’m fairly unlikely to exceed 1500# but still am aiming for 2000# towing capacity minimum, and all my top choices exceed 2400#.

I’m primarily a backpack hunter. I won’t need the trailer when I’m out hunting. Maybe for scouting.

OP
ramsdude47
Anybody have a CarFAX account? Looking to verify mileage on an exempt title (private seller).