Truck chainsaw?

Pro953

WKR
Is it common gear for some of you to bring a chainsaw in your truck.

I have never actually owned one, but I am looking to buy one for some projects in the cue. I have run into some downed trees over the years and have been lucky to negotiate around them. Figure a saw in the truck could be nice insurance.

Good idea, or waste is space.

If so, what size saw? I am looking at something with a 18” bar but open to feedback! I am starting at “0” for chainsaws other than a few hours with my neighbors old Stihl with a 16” bar.

Thanks,
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2muchhp

WKR
Where I am at in MI fallen trees in the fall and winter are common. I carry on about half the time. I already have one and use what I have which is a bit big.
Something smaller would be better, even thought about battery.

Tmac

WKR
I carry a cable choker and a saw. I’ve went to a 40volt battery powered chainsaw. 16”bar I think. For clearing a tree or three it works great. One cut, use choker hooked to truck to drag it to the side. Have to carry some bar oil, but no 2 stroke gas mix. Use vegetable oil in the bar and can put on a clean chain to split an elk too.

MThuntr

WKR
If you don't own a saw and don't have a big need for a "daily driver" I think an electric saw would be a worthy choice. You don't need a big saw to do the job. As mentioned no 2 cycle mix to fight with. You'll be able to make quick work of the rare tree in the road before the battery quits you.

Not knowing the potential projects, a 14-16" electric saw seems to be standard. You may be even able to find one that works with your favorite brand's battery system if you're going light duty.

fmyth

WKR
Yes, I carry a Dewalt cordless in the truck for camp use and a cheap Homelite in the UTV.

cjdewese

WKR
If you don't own a saw and don't have a big need for a "daily driver" I think an electric saw would be a worthy choice. You don't need a big saw to do the job. As mentioned no 2 cycle mix to fight with. You'll be able to make quick work of the rare tree in the road before the battery quits you.

Not knowing the potential projects, a 14-16" electric saw seems to be standard. You may be even able to find one that works with your favorite brand's battery system if you're going light duty.
Yes, I carry a Dewalt cordless in the truck for camp use and a cheap Homelite in the UTV.
I have a Stihl but the Dewalt cordless is what sold me on a batter powered saw, was highly impressed watching a friend use his when we were cutting firewood. I do trail clearing and a lot of brushwork near areas with a lot of fuel. My favorite thing about it vs a traditional saw is the only heat is really in the bar and chain. I can set it down on any sort of tinder after using it for a while and don't ever worry it's going to start a fire.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Funny. I was going to mention if anyone would consider a battery saw in my question, but figured I would get laughed out of town. I guess I need to widen my scope a bit.

Tmac

WKR
Funny. I was going to mention if anyone would consider a battery saw in my question, but figured I would get laughed out of town. I guess I need to widen my scope a bit.

If you go the battery route, pay attention to the volt rating of the system and amp rating of the battery. Volts x amps = watts or power available. More is better. My saw is a 40volt 4amp system. So far so good but I carry an extra 6amp battery from the mower. It’s part of the Ryobi 40 volt ecosystem. Have the mower, it works very well, soon a string trimmer, blower and hedge trimmer. For smallish jobs, it’s more than I have needed.

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a Milwaukee battery powered saw on my ATV and my pickup when hunting I like the fact that it's quiet and if I have to cut something out of the road on my way into the mountains to hunt I don't stink like gas/exhaust for the rest of the day

Pretty good review of electric chainsaws here:

I own a F-150 Powerboost with the onboard 7.2kW generator so carrying electric tools, gear, etc. in my truck is much more appealing.

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
Downed trees are a pain, especially spring hunting (bear/turkey). I have a winch, come along, and a saw to help clear rocks, trees, etc. that have ventured into roadways over winter. As stated, battery saws are no joke and can be really slick for this type of application.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good recommendations here. I'll add a minimalist option or backup in case of battery or fuel issues.

I don't always bring a chainsaw, but I have a Silky 2000 360mm folding saw that lives in my truck and has gotten me out of a bind or two.

I carry battery dewalt. Handy no starting required. The 20/60 flex volt puts it on steroids. Pull it out push the button and I’m back on my way.

I’ve had to cut my way out more than once. At a minimum I have a big silky katanaboy with me

Forrest84

FNG
A stihl ms250 is a great do it all saw. Not expensive and I couldn’t count the hours I’ve had behind them. One thing a lot of guys don’t think about is if you think you’ll end up doing some more technical cutting on some large downed trees keep an extra bar and chain just in case you get it pinch in a cut. I have a battery powered saw to but I only use it for light cutting where noise is an issue.

I run a Stihl 046 with a 24” bar. It cuts 95% of what western MT has to offer.

It never leaves my truck. One year I went snowmobiling and got caught in a ton of blow down…on the road. No problem. Cut logs out of a few roads this spring while bear hunting. Need firewood for camp, done deal.

If you’re in the woods often it’s a necessary tool.

Randle

WKR
After talking with mtwarden about it I bought a silky 550 and some wedges and a small hatchet to drive them. No battery to go dead. Just a pepsi and a snickers and I am fired back up.
Been thinking about an electric saw but havent pulled the trigger yet