Truck Camping setups

Its all a trade off.
I pee alot and didn't want to deal w a roof top tent.
A cot is probably the most versatile and I ran that way for alot of years. But it seemed I was always digging for stuff, or setting stuff outside in the weather.
So I went to drawers, worked way better for 2 people and much easier access to stuff. I like to have coffee, Ramen jet boil etc rite on hand.

But it really limits the use of your truck bed and mine are tall enough I can open a cooler if its up in there.

So I ripped them out for a hunt this year and just went open bed. And hated not having quick access to my snacky snacks.

So I'm back to drawers, with a sleep platform on top.
But I haven't really solved cooler access. I need some kind of wheeled tray to slide the cooler out on like the cool kid overlanders have the fridges on.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using a Kodiak truck tent for 4 years and I like it. I’ve thought about a RTT but I use my truck like a truck and need my bed, don’t want a shell plus I have a 5 ft bed so the Kodiak let’s me stretch out. I’ve gotten to where I can get it set up in 10 minutes, I can drive up to about 30 mph with it no problem which allows me to switch areas and it gets put away when not in use.

I just spent 5 days using it out deer hunting, zero deg temps, snow, 50+ mph winds, no problem.

An old pic
3CBBE2D3-B3E6-48FC-A534-34AEEB7C3F2D.jpeg

When I’m ready to leave I just throw my stuff in and split
52171D59-8AB1-4B62-A370-E8FF66ABBA35.jpeg

With a buddy heater it’s cozy

AA2BA228-F575-4CC5-A724-991BBB5B76ED.jpeg

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
I posted this in another thread, but I am seriously liking the look of this setup on a full size. The cool part is the RTT is accessible from inside, and the bed folds back to just give you room to stand up. In the market for a new truck next year or the year after. Hmmmm...

Tons of things you can do for kitting it out. Heat, storage, molle panels, water tank, solar & batteries....

If I'm not moving around much, or if there is more than one of me shacking up, wall tent every time. I've spent plenty of nights just sleeping in the back of a Subaru Outback though without anything fancy and even less complaints. Why someone would chose to sleep 8' off the ground in a roof top tent is a mystery to me...

Phaseolus

WKR
This was my third attempt at a raised bed system under a topper. I learned a lot from the first two. I welded a frame of one inch square tube and made it tall enough that a large Acton Packer could just slide under it. The frame was 18” shorter than the 8’ bed so I could sit up with the tailgate up and the door down if need be. E6472F02-337F-4829-99BB-60D150412B08.jpeg

dtrkyman

WKR
I sleep in the back of my Grand Cherokee, sick of shuffling stuff around and taking it in and out so I bought a Gazelle tent, got it yesterday and set it up in the garage, takes longer to get it out of the bag tha to pop it up!

Bought a Milliard tri fold mattress several years ago, thing is quite comfy! They have a few options but the thing is sweet!

Have a deer hunt in January, so I also just ordered a buddy type heater to run when I wake up.

Will be nice to set up and leave camp and not have to move coolers and junk in and out each day, hopefully no one robs my camp!

tboltz34

FNG
This past summer my dad and I built a cooking/camping setup in the back of the truck. I found the idea off of youtube.

I use quick connects for both the propane and water. I pressurize the water tank with a hand held ryobi air compressor and it holds about 12 gallons of water, I believe. Here are some screen shots of a video I took. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't add the burner and just do the griddle. My dad and I probably put in about 80 combined hours into it, but that's because of my mistakes. If I would have modelled it on the computer (I'm a mechanical engineer), we would have saved significant time.
1671207104186.png1671207160314.png1671207171874.png1671207415616.png1671207428005.png

I bought 4" memory mattress topper and cut it to size for both the back of the bed and the backseat in the cab. I prefer to sleep in the backseat of the cab since I don't need to rearrange the gear in the back as much. I bought a back seat mattress from amazon (shown below) and lay the 4" mattress topper on it. You do tend to roll towards one side because of the angle of the seat. However, I believe I can fix that with a little effort. I'm 6' 1" and even though the setup is short, I'm very happy with it.
1671206873540.png

I've been on three trips where I've slept in the truck (Nebraska Turkey, Montana Archery Antelope, and Arizona Rifle Coues- I'm from Minnesota). The Arizona Coues took me 46 total hours (26 hours of drive time) by myself - due to sleep and working from the truck for a half a day.

When I moved back to Colorado I didn’t have a house so I slept in the back of my tacoma for six months. It had a topper and I built a simple platform. My Helinox cot when on top of the platform and I had some under platform storage. A bag of clothes and a small cooler sat next to the platform. It wasn’t bad.

I don't overthink it. I put a Thermarest Zlite directly on my truck bed, and then an inflatable pad on top of that, and sleep on those under a topper. When driving around/hunting that space is occupied by a gear bag. So each night I just pull out the gear bag and put it on the ground, re-inflate the inflatable, and climb in and saw some logs. I do this down to single digits. Park smart for wind. If there is moisture (rarely) I can drape a tarp over the rear.

You really don't need much to live like a hobo, which is how (and why) I like it!

jeffpg

WKR
This thread brings back a lot of great memories, as I have been truck camping with a topper for about 35 years. I have spent as much as 6 weeks straight sleeping in the bed of my truck while on multi state extended hunting trips. I have built several different setups and there were pros and cons to all of them, but one of the simplest forms is a comfortable cot that is just the right size. I have also slept in the back seat of my full size truck but I am 6 feet tall and sometimes suffer leg cramps from not being able to fully extend my legs. The 6.5 foot long truck bed is much better, and like many have stated, I get the best sleep imaginable when in the middle of nowhere. I actually sleep just about as good when parked in a hotel parking lot or similar place while traveling. My Leer is my go to when I don't have a 5th wheel hitch in the bed, and the Capri Cowboy camper that I recently picked up almost makes me feel like I'm cheating!

Attachments

• IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8637.PNG
    IMG_8637.PNG
    796.3 KB · Views: 91
OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Thanks for some of the pictures and Ideas. It helps a lot. Ill be doing this to my truck this coming year for a more mobil set up for how and what I am wanting to do.

Dented

WKR
Jeff,
Updates and thoughts on that cowboy camper once you've spent a bit of time in it would be appreciated.

WildBoose

FNG
I'm assuming a lot of you guys have 6ft+ beds? I am 6ft tall my Tundra has a 5.5ft bed......wish I could sleep back there. Only way I can see it being done is diagonal, and that kills the rest of my bed space. I use to have a clam shell RTT on my Jeep and man that was nice. Might have to look at that route.

I'm assuming a lot of you guys have 6ft+ beds? I am 6ft tall my Tundra has a 5.5ft bed......wish I could sleep back there. Only way I can see it being done is diagonal, and that kills the rest of my bed space. I use to have a clam shell RTT on my Jeep and man that was nice. Might have to look at that route.

Just drop the tailgate. That’s what’s I do in my short bed Tacoma.