Truck Brakes?

Truck (1/2 ton Silverado) needs new brakes and rotors, and I'm looking for suggestions.. How expensive or cheap do you go? Coated rotors? Which pad material? Favorite brand(s)?

Had a kit picked out on amazon but realized that it comes with all 4 sets of pads, but only 1 front rotor and 1 rear rotor :confused:

Prices are really good on Rock Auto, until you get to the shipping part..

Ucsdryder

WKR
Bought a set of front raybestos rotors off Amazon for my tundra that had a shimmy when braking. Fixed the shimmy and the stopping distance dropped dramatically. Be careful, sometimes they’ll try and ship 1 rotor.

I just go to AutoZone or O’Riley and buy brake pads. About $70 a pair. They last a long time. Why not just get the rotors turned? Unless, that’s already been done and they are too thin now.

2five7

WKR
Truck (1/2 ton Silverado) needs new brakes and rotors, and I'm looking for suggestions.. How expensive or cheap do you go? Coated rotors? Which pad material? Favorite brand(s)?

Had a kit picked out on amazon but realized that it comes with all 4 sets of pads, but only 1 front rotor and 1 rear rotor :confused:

Prices are really good on Rock Auto, until you get to the shipping part..
When shopping rock auto, make sure all your parts are being sent out of the same warehouse. Even with shipping, they are generally cheaper than local parts stores.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I just did all four wheels on his 2019 Silverado - Trail Boss. Easy -peasey, but we also ended up replacing the front driver side caliper that was hung up. Be careful if you ever end up doing a caliper - the bleeding process is not straight forward with today's ABS systems and sensors. It was throwing all kinds of brake related codes, until we got that squared away. If it's just pads and rotors, no problem. I think he had about $250.00 (not including caliper) into it from the local Advanced Auto Parts - using their upper tier line of parts.

When shopping rock auto, make sure all your parts are being sent out of the same warehouse. Even with shipping, they are generally cheaper than local parts stores.
Even with a commercial account at Oriley, I still usually buy brakes at Rock Auto.

R1 or Powerstop.

JDPAPA

FNG
I have used 1A Auto in the past and they are great to deal with but that being said, I have a 2017 Yukon and a 2014 Silverado and have power stop rotors, calipers and pads all around on both. Over many years I have tried several brands and these have been the best by far and won’t break the bank. If I had a second choice it would be 1A, but I would send them your VIN number to make sure you get the EXACT parts and avoid any return scenarios.

I would not use drilled rotors for a truck application.
Brake rotors are heat sinks and removing metal only serves to reduce the mass and surface area.
Also, if a rotor is drilled and not chamfered correctly, it introduces an area for potential cracks to form.
Drilled rotors on a truck are more of a fashion statement.
I would use drilled rotors for a track car.
I have had success in car applications with slotted rotors that were more effective at sheeting water when I lived in the Seattle area and it was wet for 9 months of the year.
I have had great performance in my F150 with Brembo OE-spec rotors and Wagner OEX pads.
virtually no dust and good wear characteristics.

OP
cornfedkiller
Be careful, sometimes they’ll try and ship 1 rotor.

Yeah what's up with that? They just do that so their kit looks cheaper than everyone else's? What the hell am I supposed to do with 1 rotor?

Why not just get the rotors turned? Unless, that’s already been done and they are too thin now.

I think that's what I'm gonna do. They've never been turned before so they should have plenty on them.

Most of the rotors I was looking at on Rock Auto were only $40-50, but $50 to ship them, even if they were all coming from the same warehouse. I suppose the weight makes it that much.