truck bed camping--bug netting for open tailgate?

Macintosh

WKR
I have a high-rise cap on my truck, and a homemade drawer/platform over the wheel wells that perfectly fits a queen-size mattress. It's a great car-camping rig, only issue I find is the combination of maintaining air-flow on hot summer nights, combined with dealing with bugs, especially if its raining. It's not uncommon for us to get nighttime temps in the mid-70's and quite humid, and I sleep warm enough that it's tough to be comfortable without having the windows and tailgate open to maintain airflow--but then we get eaten alive.

I've found the sliding screens on my wing-doors aren't enough so I made window-size screens from bug-netting and sewed hook-side velcro around the perimeter, which sticks perfectly to the carpeted interior of my cap allowing me to keep the side windows wide-open, yet bug-free--can see these in the image. This is great, except if it rains I have to at least most-ly close the side windows to stay dry, and that eliminates the airflow. I'd like to rig something for my tailgate, and thinking I may have to build it myself. I'm wondering if anyone has found an "awning" or similar that 1) isnt total junk, 2) doesnt take a lot of setup and is relatively secure, and 3) includes both rain and bug protection to allow keeping tailgate and cap-door wide open?

I'm thinking a waterproof "tarp" that fits over the open cap door with reinforced corners for durability, and secures over the cap behind the hinge with straps anchored to wheel-well or wheel for waterproofness, with a hanging bug-net that secures to the tailgate-itself either with strong magnets or spring-clamps, and a large zippered opening for hasty midnight egress. This would hang around the outside of the cap door and tailgate to give the extra 2'-ish inside, as well as allow keeping this open while staying dry and bug-free. In essence this would be a waterproof/bug-proof vestibule fitted to a truck-cap and tailgate. I dont think it would be all that hard to make, but I dont have a ton of time--before I go and fab this myself, has anyone found a good solution for this? I've found a couple things like this from REI, kelty, slumberjack, etc, but none have any bug protection, and all seem over-engineered without adding much functionality for what I want: https://www.rei.com/product/193121/rei-co-op-trailgate-vehicle-shelter?sku=1931210001&store=214&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_1931210001|92700067750416463|PB|71700000074422334&gclid=CjwKCAjwoMSWBhAdEiwAVJ2ndnSj-Lluty62TpvcwZlDb1Q9AZ28YIumfbngNwFUGCwgGwRQexK6ARoCLWcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds61DDFB06-0EC6-44B1-A5F0-0B039A8C7603.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe not ideal with your bed set up, but i do a lazy move where I keep the tail gate open then close the rear window to pinch a large sheet of netting that drapes over the tailgate. It's ultra easy and an upgrade from being completely closed.

Perfect is the enemy of good.

schlumpyj

FNG
I went all out and cut a 14x14 hole in my topper roof to put an RV exhaust fan in there. Boy does it move air though!

rayporter

WKR

KyleR1985

WKR
I ordered one of the DAC setups a few days ago. Plan on whipping out the sewing machine to tailor it exactly to my truck for better fit and seal. I also don't want bungee cords flapping and rubbing on my clear coat, so I'll be working on a better guy out system. And will probably build PVC support for the topper for that tighter pitch. But for the price, having the rough draft that can be used immediately seems well worth it.

Being able to "pack up camp" in as long as it takes to remove the setup and throw it in the bed, shut tailgate and back glass, and drive away, is a significant selling point for me.

BBob

WKR
Looks like the DAC is the same as the Softopper so you can save yourself some $$$ buying a DAC over the Softopper. The Softopper does come with support poles and a crossbar so if you think you might need them that might be the way to go. They are telescoping for height. Self made PVC poles would probably be easy to do.

Last edited:
I ordered one of the DAC setups a few days ago. Plan on whipping out the sewing machine to tailor it exactly to my truck for better fit and seal. I also don't want bungee cords flapping and rubbing on my clear coat, so I'll be working on a better guy out system. And will probably build PVC support for the topper for that tighter pitch. But for the price, having the rough draft that can be used immediately seems well worth it.

Being able to "pack up camp" in as long as it takes to remove the setup and throw it in the bed, shut tailgate and back glass, and drive away, is a significant selling point for me.
I am a pretty cheap guy but you got my curiosity with this. I need to find some videos to see how fast setup/breakdown is.

BBob

WKR
I am a pretty cheap guy but you got my curiosity with this. I need to find some videos to see how fast setup/breakdown is.
On my second go it took mby 5 minutes tops to put it on. Even faster to take down. If you’re not using the Softopper poles it could be faster. Figuring out how the poles worked and where the bungee attachments went took a bit more time on the first setup.

KyleR1985

WKR

There’s a dozen on YouTube. As it comes, if you can’t set it up in 5 minutes after the first try, something’s wrong. I intend to have a much tighter cleaner pitch, so I might have a little more time or effort. But shouldn’t be too bad.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
The softopper and dac ones pictured are exactly what I had in mind. If any of you guys that have them can offer a review, Id love to hear, especially with regard to waterproofness and quality. Love to hear about fit on a mid-high topper too, I have an ARE MX cap which looks about like the one pictured on the DAC wevsite, but their description says it doesnt fit high toppers?

I really like this set up. A little too steep for my liking but seems a good set up. I’m running a bestop on a SB Tacoma so I need to come up with some way to extend the sleepable area. May have to break out the DIY skills.

KyleR1985

WKR

I really like this set up. A little too steep for my liking but seems a good set up. I’m running a bestop on a SB Tacoma so I need to come up with some way to extend the sleepable area. May have to break out the DIY skills.

Besides the steep price for what you’re getting, you lose a lot of room due to connection inside and the slope, when compared to the DAC tent.

Having said that, you’re definitely getting watertight that way.

My DAC is out for delivery today so I’ll see what it’s about.

The answer to all of this, is an 8’ bed haha. Camper top with door flipped up and a piece of bug netting stretched across that takes 30 minutes to build. An 8’ bed is the answer to pretty much everything the more time I spend in a truck…