Trophy expediters

Dirtydog

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any experience using D&C Expediters or The Wildlife Gallery? Will be hunting Alaska in August, our outfitter uses either of these companies to prep hides/capes and ship to a taxidermist of our choosing. The pricing seems to be comparable between the two of them. Just looking for any feedback to help make a decision.
Thanks

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I had a terrible experience with D&C in Anchorage and will never use them again. Another option is Alaska Trophy Expeditors. You are welcome to DM me for details.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah … The Wildlife Gallery has an office up there and they’ve done my Sheep, Brown Bear, Moose, and Caribou. Even picked me up and dropped me off at the hotel. Super-nice folks and everything was done very nicely and in a timely manner as well.

bowonly

FNG
I just returned from Alaska. I had been told in the past that D&C had the only freeze dry equipment in Alaska that would accommodate full size, unsplit caribou antlers. I almost turned my velvet caribou over to them when I found out they have to split the skull and could not handle a full size set. That was totally unacceptable for me, so I gave them to Alaska Trophy Expeditors. They assure me they will keep the un-split antlers in their -10* freezer until air freighting them with Alaska Air. They also claim Alaska Air freight will keep velvet antlers in a freezer if during shipping there is a significant lay-over in flights just like they do for meat. Hopefully the set arrives in Montana without damage to the velvet. Then I have to find a way to ensure the velvet is preserved.

I just returned from Alaska. I had been told in the past that D&C had the only freeze dry equipment in Alaska that would accommodate full size, unsplit caribou antlers. I almost turned my velvet caribou over to them when I found out they have to split the skull and could not handle a full size set. That was totally unacceptable for me, so I gave them to Alaska Trophy Expeditors. They assure me they will keep the un-split antlers in their -10* freezer until air freighting them with Alaska Air. They also claim Alaska Air freight will keep velvet antlers in a freezer if during shipping there is a significant lay-over in flights just like they do for meat. Hopefully the set arrives in Montana without damage to the velvet. Then I have to find a way to ensure the velvet is preserved.
I’ve never shipped a velvet rack before but Nick at AK Trophy Expediters helped me out of a pinch last year on short notice, cargo arrived at destination well packaged and frozen, wouldn’t hesitate to use him again in the future - hopefully your rack gets home in good condition!

bowonly

FNG
Just a follow up to my post above. I received my velvet caribou from Alaska yesterday. Alaska Trophy Expiditers sent them with Alaska Air cargo. I was kept well informed by text about the whole process. The antlers were wrapped in thin plastic, then bubble wrap, and finally in heavy shrink wrap. I was told it was very important to eliminate leakage, or the airline would reject it for shipping. They were marked "freeze" and were cold when I picked them up, so the airline must have done that. I was happy with the service Alaska Trophy Expediters provided and their price. I have to say though, the air cargo charges were higher than I was initially expecting. Alaska Trophy Expediters did warn me to would be high because I did not ship meat with the antlers. Apparently, the air cargo charges are less if shipped with meat boxes. Go figure!

I removed the wrapping as quickly as I could to dry them out which is very important when saving velvet. Condensation was forming inside all that plastic after exposure to warm temps. I am now spraying them with a velvet tan and hoping for the best.

I'm sure some people are wondering, why go to all the trouble? These antlers represent 6 hunts spread over 36 years and 8 locking tags! They complete my caribou slam with a recurve bow. Kinda special

Attachments

• 4421050620454025995.jpg
    4421050620454025995.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 2