Trophy Elk: What's it to YOU

Ralphie

WKR
I agree with 350 is bull of a life time, and heavy horned mature elk is a trophy whether 6x6 or 5x5 doesn't matter.
Agree with this as well.

While recognizing that there are many other ways to define a “trophy” that don’t involve horns.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
To each their own. After years of many successful elk hunts, I see nothing wrong with chasing horns. Those horns still come attached to a bunch of meat. I’ve killed a pile of elk, and been there for dozens of other kills (friends and family). This year I was patient, and was content going home with tag soup. Patience paid off, and I came home with the bull of a lifetime. It was the biggest measuring elk I’ve ever taken, and also the most meat I’ve ever put in my freezer. Trophy hunting sometimes means, that an experienced hunter lets immature animals walk to grow bigger, or get shot by other hunters. Sometimes a trophy hunter is the reason someone else fills their tag, and gets to experience their own personal trophy. After years of hunting, I take more pride in fooling a mature animal, than I do in just filling my tag. But in my younger years, I’d never pass an animal on the first day that I’d gladly shoot on the last day. Everyone is in a different position in life. Some want their first elk, and any legal animal will do. Some want the first animal they see, to put meat in the freezer. Some have killed a bunch of elk, and want that bull of a lifetime, to look at on the wall when they can’t get out and hunt anymore. Some want just a mature animal, no matter the score. Hunt for what makes you happy, and quit ragging on those who do it differently.

huntnful

WKR
I have a 326” nice 6x6 and he seems like a “good” bull. One most people would be happy with, including me.

My buddy has a 365” bull and when I see that bull in his house I think “now that’s a trophy”. The frame difference is unreal compared to mine.

So I’d say over 350” is a legit trophy

Hnthrdr

WKR
300” and up on public land diy for Co at least. Other states it’s probably a little different, but there are not that many bulls that guys kill that hit that mark.

Wheels

WKR
350”+ is where I’m at. Have hunted a bunch of premium units and ate tags, never gave it a second thought since I set my standards at 350+. I raise cattle so I’m not going to go hungry.

S-3 ranch

WKR
My best “ trophy “ involved a 5 hour stalk and shoot, 1 hour to get hands on after the shot, then 5 hours back to the truck, a very difficult task from sun up to after midnight, I have other bulls but never had that much energy and story put in to them , that’s why he’s hanging on my fireplace and the others are just in my antler room IMG_0059.jpeg

Ucsdryder

WKR
A mature bull, whether it’s 260 or 360. They’re a different animal and not in the same category as a raghorn, and especially a spike, the dumbest animal in the woods.

Any dead bull on public land is a trophy in my opinion. They are tough animals to hunt with all the variables.

If I am paying for a "Trophy Elk hunt", I would expect 330 plus opportunities.