Trophy Elk: What's it to YOU

Koozer

FNG
"Trophy Elk"... It's a term used throughout everyday conversation when ever elk hunting it discussed. Whether its a pod-cast, your favorite hunting show, or talking hunting amongst your group of friends. But what is the definition of a "Trophy Elk"??

I was just discussing this with a buddy of mine. "Trophy Elk" or "Bull of a Lifetime", what is it TO YOU??!!

I personally think a "Trophy Elk" can have several different definitions/meanings. It's not just about what the bull is on paper, it's also about the entire "hunt" and who you spend it with. But as far as "score" goes, I would say that a "Trophy" Elk in todays world of hunting would be anything that was 330"+ and a "Bull of a Lifetime" would be 350"+.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with 350+ BOAL on public land. I think anything over 300+ on public land is a "trophy". Those are not easy to come by on public land.

The story and hard work really adds a lot though outside of the numbers. Each time I successfully chase a new species and actually connect it is definitely a trophy. I always get really proud. All the research, scouting, boots on the ground applying what you learned (which always seems a little different when you are actually pursuing the animal). That is all personal experience though, that only I value. Others don't really care about that part of the story, but it means so much.

Other factors matter too, like if my kids or father were with me.

Man........they're all trophies to me. Big scores are an added bonus. I remember my first frontal shot on a little 4 point bull. All I ever heard was you need to be within 15 to 20 yards. I was calling and moving up a steep slope and he was calling and moving down. We were definitely on a collision course. When I saw his antlers just before he stepped out, I ranged the spruce at 35 yards. Had no idea a frontal was in the works. When he stepped out and stopped full on facing me, I wasn't thinking about what others had said about needing to be 15 to 20 yards, or closer. All I know was my 30 yard pin was fixed inside that softball sized kill zone. When I touched the shot off and watched the fletchings of that 390 gr arrow disappear inside the elk, and saw him wobble and tip over within 10 yards, I knew I just had a trophy experience that had nothing to do with antler size. It was and is the experience that defines my trophies🏹🏹🏹

z987k

WKR
If legal, I generally leave antlers in the field. While I've not hunted elk because it's quite a bit more expensive to do and doesn't taste as good as moose, the trophy is what ends up on my plate.

If you get a particularly beautiful creature, I totally understand a mount, but hunting specifically for antlers or the biggest you can find kind of baffles me.
From what I understand down south, cow tags are easy to get. I'd just hunt that every year.

Definitely a definition that can be different from one guy to the next, like the guys above said. My 4x5 archery bull from a couple years ago that I shot in the shoulder, called back in twenty minutes later ready to fight and killed will be a trophy forever for that reason.
My (again) 4x5 bull from last year I shot with a rifle. But I took my late father’s rifle out specifically with the intent of taking a bull with it, as he never got to. That is another “trophy” bull to me.

The better the story the bigger the trophy. A month long last light last day spike story is just as cool as a first day giant bull bugling coming to calls. Now I think the opportunity being otc or a once in a lifetime tag add to the story also. Killing a mega bull otc is crazier than a once in a lifetime prestige unit but I would still look at them both as a trophy.