Trolling motor question

I would highly reccomend reading through a boater education course or even find one online. Boats are great and I love having them, but it is a dangerous hobby. A litte education goes a long way.

An anchor of 20# will hold that boat. Using a rope to haul it up is all we have ever done. Use a shackle and couple feet of chain to attach the rope to your anchor as they wear don't low. Google anchor line length to learn more.

Keeping a trickle charger on is a good idea but not necessary.

My advice would be to keep everything as simple as possible. I've been boating for years and still stick to that. Best hobby ever.

View attachment 551679
+1 on the boater safety class. Not knowing proper anchor techniques can get you in trouble faster than you can cut the anchor rope.

I have a 14' Jonnie with a 55lb Minkota for only propulsion. It's awesome on ponds, and i've used it to push upriver during low water. If you have a 40hp OB you'll be good to go for primary, but just know that 55 is an adequate backup.

Depending on how you fish and your budget, I would save up and get a motor with spot lock. This is an absoute game changer if you fish brush piles and other offshore structure. It's also good on rivers when you're moving from hole to hole. Throwing a traditional anchor out at every spot as your searching for active fish is inefficient, annoying, and hard on the back.

https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/freshwater-trolling-motors?f[0]=minnmountinglocation:99281&f[1]=minntrollingmotorsfeatures:101946&f[2]=minnvoltagemaxthrust:100576

I've run the Powerdrive and currently have the Terrova on my 17' deep V. The Terrova is easier to deploy/stow than the powerdrive. If you go this route, make sure you get the model with spot lock and the GPS puck. My Terrova is the older model (2013) and Minkota made significant upgrades on the spot lock technology after 2016. While mine will hold over cover +/- 10-20' depending on the wind, the newer motors keep you "anchored" much tighter with better accuracy.

Garmin also makes good trolling motors, and their brushless models are awesome. However, they're going to push the price way up.

More thrust is only needed to move mass. We run electric motors on canoes to bow stands. 30lb performs as well as 55 lb in this case as it is all about prop speed and twist to propel you forward.

It's actually all about the torque being delivered. A 30 lb motor won't deliver the same as a 55 lb. Prop speed (and pitch if applicable) just makes you go faster is all. A small prop spinning really fast will not necessarily propell you forward as needed because the torque output ratio is off.

Rich M

WKR
I run a 55# thrust on an SSV-18 and use it for spot lock/anchor offshore.

Get the 55#, you will never regret getting the more powerful trolling motor.

Also get Minn Kota - I've had Motor Guide (scared fish) and also Rhodan (unreliable) - keep coming back to tried & true.

As for anchor - a 15-20# river anchor will stop your boat cold - again, I use a 20# on the SSV-18 inshore and use a danforth offshore/at the beach.

here's my input, most electric start outboards charge batteries so if wired correctly you don't need a trickle charger however it's a good idea. been a while on the anchor rope length but I believe it was depth plus 2x the boat length up to 25', don't hold me to that though lol. always carry enough rope for max water depth. anchor weight depends on a few things but more important is the style of anchor used. big flukes can be lighter than other types, depends on body of water and bottom substrate. there's a bit to learn, but if you're fishing average size lakes you wouldn't likely get into trouble. like fatcamp said, keep it simple. and have fun.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
here's my input, most electric start outboards charge batteries so if wired correctly you don't need a trickle charger however it's a good idea. been a while on the anchor rope length but I believe it was depth plus 2x the boat length up to 25', don't hold me to that though lol. always carry enough rope for max water depth. anchor weight depends on a few things but more important is the style of anchor used. big flukes can be lighter than other types, depends on body of water and bottom substrate. there's a bit to learn, but if you're fishing average size lakes you wouldn't likely get into trouble. like fatcamp said, keep it simple. and have fun.
Thanks. How do I know if my outboard charges the battery? I asked the previous owner and he said it did but I would like to confirm. It is electric start. Is it like a car alternator - where would it be located?

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I run a 55# thrust on an SSV-18 and use it for spot lock/anchor offshore.

Get the 55#, you will never regret getting the more powerful trolling motor.

Also get Minn Kota - I've had Motor Guide (scared fish) and also Rhodan (unreliable) - keep coming back to tried & true.

As for anchor - a 15-20# river anchor will stop your boat cold - again, I use a 20# on the SSV-18 inshore and use a danforth offshore/at the beach.
Thanks! Any opinion on WaterSnake trolling motors? Australian company

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I have a 14' Jonnie with a 55lb Minkota for only propulsion. It's awesome on ponds, and i've used it to push upriver during low water. If you have a 40hp OB you'll be good to go for primary, but just know that 55 is an adequate backup.

Depending on how you fish and your budget, I would save up and get a motor with spot lock. This is an absoute game changer if you fish brush piles and other offshore structure. It's also good on rivers when you're moving from hole to hole. Throwing a traditional anchor out at every spot as your searching for active fish is inefficient, annoying, and hard on the back.

https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/freshwater-trolling-motors?f[0]=minnmountinglocation:99281&f[1]=minntrollingmotorsfeatures:101946&f[2]=minnvoltagemaxthrust:100576

I've run the Powerdrive and currently have the Terrova on my 17' deep V. The Terrova is easier to deploy/stow than the powerdrive. If you go this route, make sure you get the model with spot lock and the GPS puck. My Terrova is the older model (2013) and Minkota made significant upgrades on the spot lock technology after 2016. While mine will hold over cover +/- 10-20' depending on the wind, the newer motors keep you "anchored" much tighter with better accuracy.

Garmin also makes good trolling motors, and their brushless models are awesome. However, they're going to push the price way up.
I appreciate the reply but I really don't want to drop that kind of money on a trolling motor. I was hoping to keep it under $500. I like to fish but I'm not that serious about it. Maybe that will change now that I actually have a "real" boat and not a kayak. LOL

funny, I gave up boats and use my kayak everywhere. as for charging think lawn mower or atv. the charging isn't as good as a car, it runs off the stator and has a controller( cant remember the actual name lol). with it running check the voltage at the batt. it should be more than 12.5 v. with an outboard it's a good idea to get acquainted with all the parts as you will at some point be changing them. impeller, charging, thermostat etc. are common. impeller gets changed every year or 2 depending on use. (opposite of what you think).

a word of caution, 40hp on a 16ft skiff is a lot for a new guy to handle. please be careful especially when turning. learn the boat and buy spark plugs cause they will foul out at low RPMs and its best you keep them low till you are familiar with it. flat bottoms with high HP on choppy water can be a dangerous situation for a novice. unlike v hulls, flat bottoms don't list when turning.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
a word of caution, 40hp on a 16ft skiff is a lot for a new guy to handle. please be careful especially when turning. learn the boat and buy spark plugs cause they will foul out at low RPMs and its best you keep them low till you are familiar with it. flat bottoms with high HP on choppy water can be a dangerous situation for a novice. unlike v hulls, flat bottoms don't list when turning.
Appreciate the advice! Don't list on turning? What do you mean? I noticed on our first outing, I did a sharp right turn and it looked like the right rear corner of the boat was awfully close to going under water. Is that what you're talking about?

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
funny, I gave up boats and use my kayak everywhere. as for charging think lawn mower or atv. the charging isn't as good as a car, it runs off the stator and has a controller( cant remember the actual name lol). with it running check the voltage at the batt. it should be more than 12.5 v. with an outboard it's a good idea to get acquainted with all the parts as you will at some point be changing them. impeller, charging, thermostat etc. are common. impeller gets changed every year or 2 depending on use. (opposite of what you think).

Thanks. Will do!

cjdewese

WKR
I would say what most others have. The 55 will be better than the 45, one thing that gets overlooked some is the noise factor. If you can get away with moving your boat on a lower setting it will be much more quiet.

Rich M

WKR
I was thinking I need a bow mount.
Was afraid of that. We’ve done both. Usually run full-sided boats su stand in bow and steer, like that.

I have a 30+# foot mount troller in the barn but shipping would be prohibitive.

KsRancher

WKR
Appreciate the advice! Don't list on turning? What do you mean? I noticed on our first outing, I did a sharp right turn and it looked like the right rear corner of the boat was awfully close to going under water. Is that what you're talking about?
Yes. That's what he was talking about. You want it to list to the inside of your turn. The inside should get closer to the water. But he was saying that a flat bottom doesn't list as hard as a V bottom style boat. So turning a flat bottom at higher speeds is more dangerous

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
55lb motor - if the motor is foot controlled and mount is bolted to deck a quick release mount should not be necessary.
20 lb anchor (no winch needed)
50 aH 12V lithium battery is not required but will save weight/space and $$$ over the long run.

Rich M

WKR
Yeah - get used to the boat and how she handles. No sharp turns in any boats pretty much. Experience will tell you what sharp is.

Enjoy it - boats are fun. Expensive, but fun.