Tripod shooting. Front & Rear vs Middle Support

180ls1

WKR
It seems like a lot of guys shooting off a tripod only use the tripod and the gun clamped/attached somewhere just forward of the mag. How does that stability compare to clamping the gun at the end of the fore-end and using some form of rear support like a pack frame or trekking pole closer to the recoil pad?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on different positions and how practical they are in the field, particularly for those of us with light tripods.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Clamp it at the balance point and learn how to properly shoot off a tripod. There's situations I would use "front tripod" and a rear support, but they would be very few and far between, especially if I also had a bipod.

There was a guy over on SH that made a really long and informative post on the how-to's for shooting with a tripod. It's mostly geared towards shooting tripods like RRS but a lot of it would still transfer over well. I have a 23mb pdf file I made of all his posts on it though so not sure how to best share it since it's above the file size limit for this forum.

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
Balance point for pod + rear bag = real stable. Pack up front + pod in middle + rear bag = even more stable. ( I would build a rest out of everything available if given enough time.) There are a lot of ways to shoot off a tripod, that's why they rule, but I only forward clamp my pod to span a gap. My 2.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
There was a guy over on SH that made a really long and informative post on the how-to's for shooting with a tripod. It's mostly geared towards shooting tripods like RRS but a lot of it would still transfer over well. I have a 23mb pdf file I made of all his posts on it though so not sure how to best share it since it's above the file size limit for this forum.

Snipers Hide? Thanks for the reply.

Snipers Hide? Thanks for the reply.
Yeah he made a bunch of posts with pics/vids there so I made one big PDF of all of them. I don't know how to actually share it well since it's too large of an attachment to post here. Also this video below is a decent primer on some hunting-relevant tripod shooting. I know people aren't fans of BRO but the stuff the competition guy goes over is still good.

I’ve been using the method outlined in this video and the tripod is delivering bench rest accuracy.
Obviously, don’t lean on a “made in china” tripod ad your results will vary..

khuber84

WKR
Yeah he made a bunch of posts with pics/vids there so I made one big PDF of all of them. I don't know how to actually share it well since it's too large of an attachment to post here. Also this video below is a decent primer on some hunting-relevant tripod shooting. I know people aren't fans of BRO but the stuff the competition guy goes over is still good.

Jared is a damn good shooter. He is one the top finishers every year in our WPR league, he's a talented hunter as well. He and @Carl Ross usually putting on a clinic.