Tripod Recommendations?

Remhunter

FNG
I recently upgraded to Leica for my spotter and am looking to upgrade my tripod as well. I don't have a whole lot of experience with many, so recommendations would be great, as well as preference between pan/tilt or ball heads.

Thank you,
Andrew

BBob

WKR
Not enough info to give you an answer. How big is that scope? Will you use binoculars off this tripod? If so what binoculars? What tripod do you have now? Is this for day hunts? Pack hunts? Out of the truck? Will you shoot off this tripod?

OP
R

Remhunter

FNG
Not enough info to give you an answer. How big is that scope? Will you use binoculars off this tripod? If so what binoculars? What tripod do you have now? Is this for day hunts? Pack hunts? Out of the truck? Will you shoot off this tripod?
Scope is a Leica 77 with a 20-60 angled eyepiece. Binoculars will be used on it, but secondary to the spotter. It will be for pack trips primarily, but also day trips here and there. No shooting off of it. For out of the truck, I already have a window mount so that is taken care of. I can't remember the brand of my current tripod off hand.

BBob

WKR
I am partial to my Outdoorsman’s Aluminium. Not the lightest not the heaviest. It’s more stable than many of the popular and lighter Promaster and Slik carbons. I tested a bunch of them and kept the OD for what I do. Friends I glass with are using Slik carbons. Outdoorsman’s pan head is a great midsize head but pricey. I have one on the OD tripod. Siriu VA-5 head is popular, heavier but cheaper. I can’t do ball heads for glassing. Doesn’t work for me. For my big glass I’m using an RRS and a larger head but I don’t think you’re after anything that size.

Others will be along to recommend lighter stuff which I think is probably where you are headed.

You might say what your budget is for a tripod and head. That’ll help too.

OP
R

Remhunter

FNG
I am partial to my Outdoorsman’s Aluminium. Not the lightest not the heaviest. It’s more stable than many of the popular and lighter Promaster and Slik carbons. I tested a bunch of them and kept the OD for what I do. Friends I glass with are using Slik carbons. Outdoorsman’s pan head is a great midsize head but pricey. I have one on the OD tripod. Siriu VA-5 head is popular, heavier but cheaper. I can’t do ball heads for glassing. Doesn’t work for me. For my big glass I’m using an RRS and a larger head but I don’t think you’re after anything that size.

Others will be along to recommend lighter stuff.

You might say what your budget is for a tripod and head. That’ll help too.
Thank you for the input! Ideally I'd like to keep it under $600 for the tripod and head, however I also will spend more if it
is worth it. I'd rather not be disappointed.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I recently went through the same research/shopping for a high quality tripod that I could use for standing and glassing along with being stable in windy conditions out west. I am 6’4”. Many here recommended the Outdoorsman . I wasn’t sure I would need a tripod that expensive. Real glad I purchased a Outdoorsman . The quality and stability are way above some of the Chinese stuff I looked at.

OP
R

Remhunter

FNG
I recently went through the same research/shopping for a high quality tripod that I could use for standing and glassing along with being stable in windy conditions out west. I am 6’4”. Many here recommended the Outdoorsman . I wasn’t sure I would need a tripod that expensive. Real glad I purchased a Outdoorsman . The quality and stability are way above some of the Chinese stuff I looked at.
I am 6'2". Which model did you get? Regular or tall and was it sufficient for your height? I have been looking at them and was curious if they are worth the money.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the tall with the center post extension. Was just glassing up 3 coyotes on the Mtn behind the house with the tripod extended to about 6’. I also got the Outdoorsman pan head. Outdoorsman has some new models out now, but I bought the Gen 1 tripod and pan head and saved a few bucks on the models they are discontinuing.

OP
R

Remhunter

FNG
I bought the tall with the center post extension. Was just glassing up 3 coyotes on the Mtn behind the house with the tripod extended to about 6’. I also got the Outdoorsman pan head. Outdoorsman has some new models out now, but I bought the Gen 1 tripod and pan head and saved a few bucks on the models they are discontinuing.
I noticed they are running 10 percent off the Gen 1 stuff. Did you have to buy anything else to make everything work? If I buy the tripod and the pan head, is everything there to mount the spotter and hit the field?

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
You might be able to do a little better price wise if you purchase a set. I bought one adapter plate for my spotter and two quick release adapters (tripod and window mount) so I can quickly detach the spotter from the tripod and install on my window mount. I feel the OD pkg was $$ well spent.

BBob

WKR
This is what I did to adapt an OD Gen1.5 pan to ARCA. The clamp is a Kirk but much cheaper can be had. You can get longer lengths too. You just bolt an OD adapter to it.

IMG_1109.jpegIMG_1108.jpegIMG_1107.jpeg

Moss

FNG
Just something else to consider. I've noticed the center column on my Slik is the reason for any movement when spotting. I'm digging into carbon legs without a center column before our next trip. Another benefit I like is the ability to very quickly level (fine tune) the head without having to adjust the legs. Like I said, just some considerations before I spend.