Tripod preference ?'s

GITZO makes a really nice carbon fiber tripod. Model after that one. Tall enough to view when standing. Twist locks, and under 2 pounds weight.

Last edited:

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
I use the promaster you sell and the 6160 head.I'm happy with the twist locks.
I would make all the metal parts out of titanium .
When sheep hunting i remove the center post and two sections of legs as i am sitting anyway. I will be using a Manfrotto 494RC2 Ball Head this year will knock off almost a pound total.
Titanium is not cheap but if you want strong and light it's the way to go.
Now if i could find some plugs to fit into the hole where i remove the legs i would be happy.
Being able to quickly change to a shooting post would be handy as well

Gman

WKR
I use the promaster you sell and the 6160 head.I'm happy with the twist locks.
I would make all the metal parts out of titanium .
When sheep hunting i remove the center post and two sections of legs as i am sitting anyway. I will be using a Manfrotto 494RC2 Ball Head this year will knock off almost a pound total.
Titanium is not cheap but if you want strong and light it's the way to go.
Now if i could find some plugs to fit into the hole where i remove the legs i would be happy.
Being able to quickly change to a shooting post would be handy as well

I like this idea. Making something that was modular to take down to the lightest weight for a particular need would be really cool.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
I like this idea. Making something that was modular to take down to the lightest weight for a particular need would be really cool.

Thats actually an idea I am playing with. Allowing the legs to be removed to adjust the size/weight as needed.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Magnesium is much lighter than titanium and easily would provide the necessary durability. Way cheaper and easier to work with than titanium. Very flamable though. Cast mag is a good, inexpensive option once tooling is paid for.

I need two tripods, a tall sturdy unit I can stand and glass behind and an ultralight unit that I will typically sit down to use. Still needs decent leg extension though as you need to splay the legs wide and long to sit under it with the downhill leg extended well below to get binos on top and be effective. I could live with a little more wiggle on the back pack unit.

Also want reversible column with weight hook, multi position legs and a sponsorship ;)

Coop

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
Magnesium is much lighter than titanium and easily would provide the necessary durability. Way cheaper and easier to work with than titanium. Very flamable though. Cast mag is a good, inexpensive option once tooling is paid for.

I need two tripods, a tall sturdy unit I can stand and glass behind and an ultralight unit that I will typically sit down to use. Still needs decent leg extension though as you need to splay the legs wide and long to sit under it with the downhill leg extended well below to get binos on top and be effective. I could live with a little more wiggle on the back pack unit.

Also want reversible column with weight hook, multi position legs and a sponsorship ;)

Coop
Hell Ya can use it as fire starter as well

Lawnboi

WKR
Id like to see a light tripod, with the ability to add and subtract leg sections based on what your doing with the thing. Id like to have something short for backpacking, and have the ability to add a leg section or 2 to up the height for times where weight isn't such a big deal.

I prefer flick locks, though twist locks work well too and they are a little lighter imo for a quality twist lock.

Carbon fiber for sure.

It would also be nice to find a durable and lightweight head

I hope it dosnt cost an arm and a leg cause I need a new tripod this year

I think adding to the modularity of a tripod, like I mentioned above will be a big money saving point. Id have no problem spending a good bit on a tripod if it can do it all rather than buying a short one for backpacking and a bigger one for times I need to stand up. A guy wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a tripod if they new they could buy a couple leg sections and be good at higher heights in the future.

Gman

WKR
Whatever you do, make sure the connection to the head is solid. The one thing that drives me nuts on my Promaster is that the adapter plate to the head (that heavy metal disc) always seems to work loose and I wind up with a wobbly optic until I notice and retighten.

Nordic

FNG
I have already found a tripod I really like. It has the max, min height and weight I want. :)
I use Feisol carbon tripods. My favourite model both for every day use and backpacking is Tournament Tripod CT-3442 Rapid with long spike feets. One of my tripods have the leveling base. The absence of center column and adding spike feets make it sturdy enough (you can use the spike feets to protect you from attacking squirrels ;)). There is also a hook to hang some weight in if it's really windy. It weights 1.13 kg (2.49 lbs). The twist locks make it easy to grap all three of them with your hand and open or close them simultaneously.
The heavier model is Elite Tripod CT-3472 if you want thicker legs.

Whisky

WKR
Whatever you do, make sure the connection to the head is solid. The one thing that drives me nuts on my Promaster is that the adapter plate to the head (that heavy metal disc) always seems to work loose and I wind up with a wobbly optic until I notice and retighten.

^^^^^^This!!!!!!

Only complaint about my Vanguard PH-21 head.......And it's very annoying!!!

littlebuf

Banned
Steve,

I love the idea for the project but may I ask "why"? I'm not being a smart a** but what are the current options like the Slik and the Promaster carbon missing that can be greatly improved upon? Just curious as I have debated this a million times but feel like those are two pretty good options in that class of tripod.

because anything you make and then slapp the words "back country" on guys in these web sites go cross eyed buying. pretty smart really

mtnkid85

WKR
If the interchangable legs ups the price and or weight too much, I would say interchangable center collums would be a suitable replacement.
I use the center column for all the little constant height adjustments while glassing so even the short option needs to have ~3-4" of adjustment. Then add a longer section if you want to make the tripod taller.

Personally I glass nearly 100% from a seated position, thats all the height I need or really want.
Weight is VERY important.
I prefer flick locks. Take a look at how BD is doing there newest ski poles, theyve got a very minimal flick lock.
Ability to hang weight under, and support a ~80mm spotter.
Make it available seperate from the head.
Im not too concerned with the feet, but do prefer real soft rubber over metal. Something that sticks to rock a little better.

And I agree really a guy needs two. One like what I describe above, which I would be willing to spend money on. And another tall, heavy, stable thing to stay in the truck, which Im just not going to be spending the same kind of money on.

Look forward to seeing what comes of this.